Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times

Advertisements

This past year I bought an older house in a short sale for 265k... loan balance is approximately 260K. It's a great house in a historic area.... BUT, I desperately need to replace the siding (I want to do hardiplank), and all the windows to hurricane impact glass. I figure I will need to come up with about 30k in financing for everything. What sort of loan should I look into getting?

The market around here isn't going up, so home equity isn't the way to go (though I would venture I have maybe 50k in equity).... doing the improvements WOULD improve the equity though, and make my insurance rates go down.

What sort of loan is best? Is it easier to get a home improvement loan in this market and with these lending restrictions? Household income = 120k, current mortgage (with P&I) will be 2100/month next year. Are home improvement loans 30 year committments? 20 year? Any insight?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
As recently as this summer basically every lender had miserable terms on traditional "home improvement loans" and MUCH better fixed Home Equity Loans or HELOC. I am pretty sure that is still true.
The way it was explained to me is that even though tradtional home improvement loans are securitized (they place a lien against your title for the length of a loan) there are no broad national standards so there is not an extensive secondary market. Without a secondary market lenders are 'stuck' with loans and have to build a ridiculous amount of overhead into the loans. Yuck!

There are also FHA Title I loans that are 'guaranteed' by the Federal Housing Administration, so the lender is not 'naked' but the limits are like $25,000 and that ain't much...

Construction loans are an altogether different beast, as the big lenders do have systems set for direct-to-construction firm draws as various completion landmarks are reached. Then the lender converts the thing to a traditional mortgage. Sounds great, but because it is NOT available if you already have mortgage it is NOT an option for improvement/remodeling... (not sure what the re-fi rules are, but somehow I don't think a one-year old mortgage is gonna cut it, especially now)

I had some feelers out to Credit Unions, as they tend to have a bit more experience with both plain old home improvement loans and FHA Title I , put ultimately I decided the only intrest rate option that made sense was a HELOC, and it was not what I wanted to have hanging over my head, so I scrubbed my plans for now...

Since you sound like you NEED to make some repairs I would probably concentrate on a Home Equity loan -- the lenders are still making 'em for people with good credit and the rates are most tolerable...

You might find a Credit Union that can do a traditional Home Improvement loan for about the same rate, but don't count on it.

Rare, but a possibility, are the "locally administered" type community loans that MIGHT be available in a historic district -- generally state, county of municipal. And generally pretty small, but maybe in conjunction with a FHA Title I...

Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just scared that lenders will be afraid to write equity loans on a home that I will have owned for maybe a year in a market that is still falling. I'll check out the alternative sources you quoted as well.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,314 times
Question Home Improvement Loans

do you can give more advice on how we can get fast apovals?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM

<a href="http://home-improve-ment-loans.blogspot.com/">Home Improvement Loans</a>
u can see the treads in the forum

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Default <a href="http://home-improve-ment-loans.blogspot.com/">Home Improvement Loans</a>

can u give more details about it

Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 27,132 times
The interiors of any home reflect the personal preferences and tastes of its owners making it imperative to constantly upgrade to keep up with changing times.A home improvement loan is money lent to a property owner for home repairs, updates or remodeling. Home improvement loans are not necessarily secured by the property they are intended for and may simply be classified as home improvement loans by the lender. These loans can be secured or unsecured and are usually short term.
Home improvement loans are intended to increase the value of your home so it is important to think carefully about where best to put the money. After all, the money spent on home improvements is added to your overall cost of the home and you want to be able to recoup this cost if and when you decide to sell.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
If a loan is NOT secured by a lien against the title of the home it will be a MUCH higher interest rate -- just like credit card...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages