Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 PM

11 posts, read 34,071 times

Advertisements

Bought a home this past summer 2008 (first time home buyer), with interest rate of 6.5%. With rates going down planning to Refinance. Question is.. how do I go about to refinance? Are there extra fees to pay? Will I have to pay closing costs? Should I even refinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,554 times
Yes, there are extra fee's. It's a pain the a s s. The lender charges you an application fee etc. Then if you want to buy down the rate you would pay around 1% of the loan amount. Then you have to get a title company and they charge you out the wazoo too. They will all tell you they can wrap it right into the mortgage though. Yeah, you want to pay 4 or 5k over 30 years with interest? No thanks.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Yes, there are fees. You won't have to pay a realtor, so they won't be as high as when you purchased the house, but you might need an appraisal again. All the titles fees, filing fees, etc. have to be paid again, so it might add up to a few thousand dollars. Some lenders will roll some or all of these fees into your new loan, like ufcrules said, so you have to look at the long-term picture. Your monthly payments will probably be lower, but you might have to pony up some cash at the front end.

If you're planning on living in the house for a long time, I think refis can be a really good idea. You can save tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest over the life of the loan. That will definitely outweigh your higher balance (it's higher because they rolled some fees into it).

But if you're planning to move in a few years, then you might not want to do it. You have to calculate the breakeven point. Your payments might be lower, but that's offset by the chunk of cash you just paid out. If you had to pay $3000 out of pocket, and your monthly payments went down by $200, it will take 15 months just to recoup the $3000--and your mortgage balance might be a bit higher, too, not to mention it pushes your final payoff date back. These are all things to think about.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatero3 View Post
Bought a home this past summer 2008 (first time home buyer), with interest rate of 6.5%. With rates going down planning to Refinance. Question is.. how do I go about to refinance? Are there extra fees to pay? Will I have to pay closing costs? Should I even refinance.
Without more information there is not a soul on this board that can give you a usable answer. First and most important question, is your original purchase loan an FHA or VA loan or is it a conventional?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Yes, there are extra fee's. It's a pain the a s s. The lender charges you an application fee etc. Then if you want to buy down the rate you would pay around 1% of the loan amount. Then you have to get a title company and they charge you out the wazoo too. They will all tell you they can wrap it right into the mortgage though. Yeah, you want to pay 4 or 5k over 30 years with interest? No thanks.
Not all lenders charge application fees. Discount points vary depending on daily pricing. title charges vary per title company. What's $4000 if your saving $250 a month (break even point of 16 month? Not to mention if it is a govvie loan then the OP can do a streamline, which may not cost anything and of course govvie or conventional there is always the option of a no cost loan.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM

41 posts, read 385,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Without more information there is not a soul on this board that can give you a usable answer. First and most important question, is your original purchase loan an FHA or VA loan or is it a conventional?

You nipped that pretty quickly didn't ya? Poster should also disclose:

Current Value
Current mortgage balance

In addition, banks are scrutinizing CA, FL, NV, AZ, MI loans...some other places too but my point is that sometimes they won't lend you as much money in some of these states.

Unless 10-20% was put down, I don't see it happening without bringing a substantial amount of cash to closing. What say you Daddys//M3??...I bet you 1 e-dollar.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Urban Princess View Post
You nipped that pretty quickly didn't ya? Poster should also disclose:

Current Value
Current mortgage balance

In addition, banks are scrutinizing CA, FL, NV, AZ, MI loans...some other places too but my point is that sometimes they won't lend you as much money in some of these states.

Unless 10-20% was put down, I don't see it happening without bringing a substantial amount of cash to closing. What say you Daddys//M3??...I bet you 1 e-dollar.
Again, it depends on what type of loan it is. If it is an FHA then a streamline should require nothing more than a mortgage payment at closing. A VA interest rate reduction loan would likely require nothing. And again there is always the option of a no cost loan, which as long as current value supports the loan to value requirements would require nothing out of pocket either. The rate won't be as good as if you were paying closing costs out of pocket or rolling them into the loan, but the option is still there.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that if it is in fact a government loan then current value and loan to value will not need to be looked at for a streamline loan.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM

11 posts, read 34,071 times
I have an FHA Loan. Yea.. concerned on the upfront cash may need to put when refinancing. Planning to keep home for at least 5 years. May move if I get another position with company (company buys home if I can't sell).

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatero3 View Post
I have an FHA Loan. Yea.. concerned on the upfront cash may need to put when refinancing. Planning to keep home for at least 5 years. May move if I get another position with company (company buys home if I can't sell).
You should be able to do a FHA streamline and come to the closing table with only a mortgage payment. I would seek out a trusted mortgage professional to put together an application package for you. I don't know what rates look like today, but you can likely about 1% lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages