Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM

23 posts, read 92,171 times

Advertisements

Does the typical closing take 30 days? Is that really necessary or is that just to give them extra time if needed?What's the norm...

Is it possible to close within 2 weeks-from time to signing the locked rate to the final date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,592,630 times
has nothing to do with locked rate.
it varies with lender.

some lenders are 4 MINIMUM weeks just to look at your file.

some lenders are at 24-48 hours to review your file.

It also depends if it's a purchase or refinance.
Also, whether it's a conventional/fha/va loan.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,024,310 times
we closed in 21 days. the quick close was part of our initial offer. before we included it though we did confirm, reconfirm and reconfirm for a third time with our mortgage guy to make sure it was 100% possible. they stayed on track the entire time.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonenough View Post
Does the typical closing take 30 days? Is that really necessary or is that just to give them extra time if needed?What's the norm...

Is it possible to close within 2 weeks-from time to signing the locked rate to the final date?
Depending on how quickly you and your lender can put together a complete file, you can close within a day or two of the appraisal. I've seen loans go from application to closing in 24ish hours (very very very few such loans, but it can happen when necessary).

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,971,177 times
As everyone said it depends on the lender and on you. Some lenders take longer than others, and a lot depends how quickly you, the Realtor, attorney and others can get the documents to the underwriter.

I have done closings in 5 business days from application to closing, but that is rare and requires lots of teamwork and some luck. On purchase 20-30 days is common to make sure there is time to take care of any snags.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,677 times
Five Months and Waiting with Bank of America (nothing out of the ordinary except the wait)

I locked in a great rate for refinance back in late February 2009 with (at the time) Countrywide who is now Bank of America Home Loans. They asked for the normal paperwork (pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) and I sent them in with the preliminary loan docs as soon as I got them in the mail. They received them by the end of March.

I contacted the the guy I locked in with - with some questions but he didn't seem to want to take ownership of the loan; he just kept feeding me some BS about how there were so many people trying to refinance and that new government programs being rolled out just had the whole loan processing system backed up. He even told me that mine was considered an 'easy loan'; just some pencil pushing.

In late May I got an email from the loan processor who said they would begin looking at my loan on July 1. WTF!!! In early June I got a call from another BOA rep who said I needed to fax recent statements to them because the ones they had were too old -- well no sh*t!!

I called the manager of the guy I locked in with and let him know my frustrations with how long it's taking. His response was basically "We are Bank of America -- the largest lender in the world. We process more home loans than anybody in the fastest time." HELLO...??

Today is July 9 and I still don't when-TF my closing date is. I guess they're just milking the slightly higher rate I'm at now; 5.125% and going to 4.365%.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,129,247 times
cybergoose, you should look into getting a new loan with another lender. I started out attempting to get a mortgage with BOA but it seemed like every other day, they were calling me and changing their loan criteria and telling me I needed to put more money down or my home was in a declining area, etc, etc. H-E-L-L-O! I thought all real estate now days was in a declining area. Anyway, it was very frustrating to say the least. I ended up going to a mortgage broker after that, and other than it taking 12 days to get our appraisal back to us, everything went smoothly.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM

43 posts, read 148,619 times
Glad I'm not the only one. I was told around 25 days from contract to closing, now it will be closer to 60.

I was set to close tomorrow and got a call from BOA earlier this week that it has been changed again to the end of the month.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Interesting how different things are in different parts of the country!

Our contracts in downstate NY stipulate loan commitment within 45-60 days from date of fully executed contract! "Normal" time from contract to closing is and has been about 3 months - in the current lending environment it can take longer...

Cash transactions usually take less time, of course.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 PM

286 posts, read 1,367,514 times
I'm with BofA and doing a 203k loan. We're looking at 72 days to close (which is still 2 weeks away, so that may change)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages