Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM

25 posts, read 122,130 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a home and I have met with an agent who is supposedly helping me. He very rarely calls me about any place that pops up in the market. In spite of me telling him about some of the properties that land in the market, he shows little interest. Under these circumstances what should I be doing? How do I tell him that I'm moving on to a different agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM

111 posts, read 463,143 times
Teana,
Sounds like for some reason you are not on the same page. Ask for a meeting and sit down and explain to him what your expectations are of him and then ask him what his are of you. Ask why he has not shown you the properties you brought to his attention ( maybe there is a reason, such as you are getting an FHA loan and he knows the property won't qualify FHA, maybe??) If you feel that it not going to work with him, ask him for a referral to another agent (s).
Sometimes the fit just is not there (thank goodness there are a lot of us to choose from!)

good luck, keep looking and have fun doing it

Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I don't get the sense that a sit-down is really going to be a productive or satisfying experience. Keep in mind, however, that you may be breaching your agreement if you purchase a home with another realtor that he has shown you.

There are good realtors and there are crappy realtors. I wouldn't feel the slightest twinge of remorse or sympathy whilst informing a lame fiduciary agent that his or her services will no longer be required. You want 3% of the transaction? Better work a little harder.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 AM

392 posts, read 1,539,518 times
Did you sign any buyers representation agreements? If not, switch to a new agent. Keep in mind that, if you want to buy a home that the first agent already showed you, you will need to stick with the agent who showed it to you.

like jimboburnsy said, some agents are crappy. Also, it's a personality thing... if you don't work well for some reason, maybe it's just not a good fit.

Good luck with your search

Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 PM

25 posts, read 122,130 times
I haven't signed any kind of agreement with the agent. So I guess I can get out and look for someone better.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
We just started searching for homes. Our first agent, recommended by a co-worker, set us up on the MLS web site to see the houses in our price range/location. Then when we wanted to see houses, she wouldn't get back to us! So I found a new realtor, who is AWESOME, and sent the first agent an email "We moved on, bye!", and that was it. I didn't sign anything, so no biggie.

If you aren't happy with him/her now, move on quickly! We wasted a bunch of time with the first realtor and maybe missed out on some properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages