Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times

Advertisements

I been riding for a few years but never took a class just taught myself in parkign lots so probably developed some bad habits.

I hold my throttle with my thumb and pointer finger and leave my other 3 fingers either a little over the brake or extended near the brake.

I dont know the proper way but imaging it may be actually using my ring finger and pinky on the throttle with my middle finger and pointer finger ready to grab the break.

What's the proper way or safe way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM

btw, I ride a Suzuki GS800 aka intruder so a cruiser and not a sport bike incase that matters.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 PM

134 posts, read 302,507 times
There is no 'proper way'.

The best way is the way which makes you feel happy that you are in full control of the bike.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,797 times
I use my middle two fingers and my palm. I guess because it's comfortable for me that way..

Does your forearm cramp up ever?? I would think by using your thumb, it would..

Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
KAILAMI: That's what I do much of the time.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
If you read some of the books that talk about riding technique, they would say you have the right idea but are 100% backwards. It's generally recommend to cover the brake lever with your pointer and middle (or just pointer if your brakes are that good), and wrap the index and pinky around the grip. The difference being that using the pointer means you're higher up on the lever and can finesse the control a bit more. Using the fingers farther down gains you more leverage overall, but you could inadvertantly hamfist the brake because of it.

The key, though, is to have the brake covered at all times. The microseconds it takes to move fingers out over the level could be all the difference. If you can get good throttle control and brake feel doing it how you're doing it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Mike

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
I use my middle two fingers and my palm. I guess because it's comfortable for me that way..

Does your forearm cramp up ever?? I would think by using your thumb, it would..
occasionally the part of my palm on my thumb will cramp up. Overall though I feel much more comfortable and in control with that configuration than with my bottom two or three fingers on the throtle an my pointer nad or ring finger on my brake.

Do some breaks have more space between the break nad the handlebars than others? I have smaller hands, wondering if there' diff configuratinos. It seems asif sport bikes brakes tend to be closer to the throttle or handlebar.

Sounds as if you guys are saying whatever is comfortable. I was just wondering if one configuration will be a split second faster in an emergency situation.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
occasionally the part of my palm on my thumb will cramp up. Overall though I feel much more comfortable and in control with that configuration than with my bottom two or three fingers on the throtle an my pointer nad or ring finger on my brake.

Do some breaks have more space between the break nad the handlebars than others? I have smaller hands, wondering if there' diff configuratinos. It seems asif sport bikes brakes tend to be closer to the throttle or handlebar.

Sounds as if you guys are saying whatever is comfortable. I was just wondering if one configuration will be a split second faster in an emergency situation.
The reach from the grip to the brake lever on most bikes is adjustable. The default distance varies bike-to-bike I'm sure, but even small hands should be able to get any brake setup in a comfortable range.

I don't think the worry with your method would be the reaction time. If your fingers are there, they're there. What I would worry about is your ability to control how much brake you're feeding in if you grabbed a handful in an emerganecy situation. The farther down the handle you grab, the easier it is for you to apply more leverage (torque) to the handle. You may inadvertantly grab too much. By grabbing up closer to the pivot point, you have to exert more effort to get the same results, resulting in more 'feel' overall. You're also using the fingers most people typically use for 'finesse' maneuvers (trigger finger, etc), so the feedback should be more intuitive.

Again, this is a fine point. If you have taught yourself to adequately control the amount of brake you use even by grabbing farther down the handle, you should be fine.

Mike

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
A lot of finger placement on the throttle will depend on your individual motorcycle. A heavy cruiser type bike would require hand positioning to allow quick access to the brakes. Something with gobs of torque and horsepower requires more finesse. With a high horsepower and lighter weight bike you have to adjust for the possibility of rolling on more throttle than you can control. If you wrap your fingers all the way around the throttle with the wrist tilted toward the front and you apply too much throttle you may find yourself trying to pull yourself up on the seat and applying even more power. An unintended wheelie can quickly turn in to a severe case of pavement rash. Too avoid this type of accident keep your wrist and fingers in line on the throttle. That restricts the range of motion of your wrist and prevents an accidental roll on to full power. On any of my Stroked Sportsters I had a special thumb lever on the throttle grip. This prevented an accidental application of too much throttle in a wheelie. I made my own. I don't know if anyone has ever sold them commercially and as far as I know I may have been the inventor of the idea.. It was definitely a good safety feature.

GL2

Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I ride a Goldwing, I''ve installed the throttle boss which really helps on long rides and reduces forearm fatigue. The throttle boss allows you to use the heal of your palm for throttle control, but for stop and go driving a good grip on the throttle goes along way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles