Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

My local town had a proposal to ban motorcycles within the town limits last year. This was prompted due to overwhelming complaints from the residents about the endless noise (it's a popular destination for weekend warriors). Since I'm a motorcycle mechanic, have motorcycles, like motorcycles, ride motorcycles, sorta need them in the town to earn a living, I got involved. It had absolutely nothing to do with need for revenue (actually, the end law, being a noise ordinance, is not expected to break even for 5~7 years), it had Everything to do with noise.

The new signs outside of town letting people know about the noise ordinance seem to have helped, thought there's still a lot of grousing going on (no equipment for testing the noise yet, so no citations).

I've also been to 3 other places with outright bans on motorcycles (homeowners assoc, apartment complex and a group of businesses that included several restaurants), and 2 of those were due to noise complaints.

Motorcyclists are the minority. When it comes to laws, we're simply the minority and easy to out-vote. It takes a LOT of work to protect the privileges (yes, that's correct.. there are NO "rights" when it comes to motorcycles), not something I ever care to get involved in again. More-so when it's morons who are chipping away at those privileges. It's not just the loud-pipe pirates, but the loud-pipe AND stunting sportbike clowns too. The dirtbike guys have their own problems too...

The only real solution is to stop bickering between riders, show some respect for the voting majority who can, and eventually will, make riding a motorcycle illegal.
I'd say the stupid city council should just ban motorcycles. They'll lose several hundred thousand dollars of revenue, but oh well...

The other thing that's going to happen here, is some motorcycle loving lawyers are going to get involved in this "discriminatory action" by these municipalities. They may not win the court cases, but they'll cause so much legal expense for cities that the cities will probably stop voting in these "motorcycle bans."

Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Loud exhausts are as useful as a leaf blower. Both should have the mouths of their owners closed around them and turned up high.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I'd say the stupid city council should just ban motorcycles. They'll lose several hundred thousand dollars of revenue, but oh well...

The other thing that's going to happen here, is some motorcycle loving lawyers are going to get involved in this "discriminatory action" by these municipalities. They may not win the court cases, but they'll cause so much legal expense for cities that the cities will probably stop voting in these "motorcycle bans."
I get what you're saying bro, but There's no bickering from me. I respect anybody on 2 wheels, I don't care what make/model it is. I suppose, I'd have to become a real outlaw if motorcycle riding became illegal.

You'd have to shoot and kill me before I'd ever give up my bike. Fortunately, I live in an extremely MC friendly community. Local police has a very large motorcycle fleet (and some of them are Harleys! Gasp!), tons of MC only parking spaces, numerous police sponsored poker runs, etc....

I'm pretty sure they're not going away anytime soon.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
No, municipalities that are desperate for revenue did that.
The legislation was in response to what was considered a nuisance. Wouldn't have existed if the riders with loud pipes hadn't insisted on making spectacles of themselves. And as is always, always, always the case when people abuse a privilege, a fun thing - finding a decent aftermarket exhaust - has been struck down by overreaching legislation.

So - thanks, noisemakers. The CA Assembly couldn't have done it without you.

Quote:
By the way, is the exodus out of California still going on?
If this causes an exodus of inconsiderate riders, I for one will happily help them load their racketmakers on trailers.

Then those of us who can ride without having to alert everybody in a mile radius may be able to start to build a decent reputation for motorcyclists again.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The legislation was in response to what was considered a nuisance. Wouldn't have existed if the riders with loud pipes hadn't insisted on making spectacles of themselves. And as is always, always, always the case when people abuse a privilege, a fun thing - finding a decent aftermarket exhaust - has been struck down by overreaching legislation.

So - thanks, noisemakers. The CA Assembly couldn't have done it without you.

If this causes an exodus of inconsiderate riders, I for one will happily help them load their racketmakers on trailers.

Then those of us who can ride without having to alert everybody in a mile radius may be able to start to build a decent reputation for motorcyclists again.
I, for one, will be more than happy when every municipality completely bans the setting off of all Fireworks. Danged attention w***es with all their banging and popping. What is wrong with them?!?!?!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I, for one, will be more than happy when every municipality completely bans the setting off of all Fireworks. Danged attention w***es with all their banging and popping. What is wrong with them?!?!?!
Fireworks tend to center on July 4th. Straight-pipe afficionados are obnoxious all year round.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:04 PM

24,473 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:

By the way, is the exodus out of California still going on?
Not according to this.

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Fireworks tend to center on July 4th. Straight-pipe afficionados are obnoxious all year round.
So are cry-babies.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

364 posts, read 560,290 times
Quote:
Quote:
So are cry-babies.
Really?

I ran into an ear-splitting Harley guy today, and you could tell from his super cool Sons of Anarchy outfit and smirk that he thought he was the bees' knees. The thing is... I'm a motorcyclist, and he annoyed the **** out of me. People don't think those people are cool... We think they're douchebags.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So are cry-babies.
That's your best shot? It's really simple. Antisocial behavior in a few is accepted, mostly because it's too bothersome to deal with. When enough people jump on the bandwagon and the nuisance level rises, the legislative 2 x 4 comes out and it always, invariably, overreaches.

If enough people decided to hold impromptu bagpipe concertos in public areas, bagpipes would become the subject of legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles