Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,906 times

Advertisements

I have personally owned a vstar 650 I bought mine for 3000 and honestly I love it. . Have taken it on the highway up to 100 it barely wants to touch 110 but it doesn't go their vibration is no problem on the Silverado for me it's better than a Harley iron. However this is a fenomenal beginner bike it's made for you not to kill yourself I love it. and would recommend it to any novice rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:53 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Another thing about the VStar 650 is the hassle of maintenance.

The valves are not self adjusting, which means scheduled
maintenance is more complex than many other bikes, necessitating an expensive trip to the dealer for those who are not mechanically inclined enough to be diving into the valves themselves.

The header pipe also makes oil changes a PIA and must be removed to access everything necessary to do a simple oil/filter change.

Unless you're really short or literally can't handle anything bigger, (which is usually all in the mind and overcome with a bit of experience) I'd look at a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 or other similar mid-sized cruisers that are more capable and won't be so quickly outgrown.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:44 PM

74 posts, read 166,294 times
You are thinking of the V Star 100. That one you have to remove some exhaust to access the oil filter. There is a filter relocation kit the solves that. On the 650 there is no problem getting to the oil filter.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:53 AM

74 posts, read 166,294 times
Sorry, the above should read, V Star 1100.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
The (V-STAR 650), isn't big enough for much.. I tried one and in less then (100 miles) simply got rid of it.. Now have a (2005) Harley Davidson Heritage, as well as a Kawasaki Vulcan (1500), unless you're just going to ride from your house to the local mini-mart and back home again, the little Yamaha will prove itself to small for you, only a matter of time, you'll see!!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMan59 View Post
Im looking to buy a bike and I found a 650cc V-Star for $3800 and it was 4K miles on it. I didn't know much about them, this would be my first bike... upgrading from a scooter. I was wondering if it was a good deal? and how many miles I could probably get out of it?
I can't book it for you since you forgot to tell us the year made

here is the link to the KBB book values for motorcycles

Motorcycle - Kelley Blue Book

I rode one once and liked it, was a nice bike but I preferred the Honda 750 Shadow in that category

the engine and tranny will likely last a lifetime, you may go through clutches though

Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It will do highway speeds, but it is really wound up at 70 and screaming "No Mas" at 75-80.
Rejetting the carburetor and shimming the needles will help A LOT with this. Made a huge difference on my Classic, she'll now do 80+, but she used to struggle to get to 75.

Quote:
A sixth gear would work wonders for this bike
It certainly would!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:07 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Rejetting the carburetor and shimming the needles will help A LOT with this. Made a huge difference on my Classic, she'll now do 80+, but she used to struggle to get to 75.

It certainly would!

I did the re jetting and pipes/ac on my wife's 05, I noticed a slight gain in acceleration and torque but no gain in top speed in any gear. The upgrade made it sound better and a little more fun to ride on back roads. But extended highway travel was not a pleasant experience because the too low 5th gear meant that it was still screaming like a stuck pig at any speed over 65.

The gear ratios seemed very odd to me too now that I remember......2nd, 3rd and 4th were kind of useless for anything other than getting from 1st to 5th.

My wife has since upgraded to a Star/Yamaha Raider and can leave me on my Road King in the dust if she feels like it lol.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
My wife has since upgraded to a Star/Yamaha Raider and can leave me on my Road King in the dust if she feels like it lol.
Is the Raider similar to a V-Rod?

I will eventually upgrade, too. There's just not much you can do to get more performance out of these bikes, unless you want to get into machine work.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
I've rode with a couple of people who rode the Vstar 650s. None of them had any issues doing 300-500 mile days and plenty of interstate. One of them is about 6'3".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles