Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times

Advertisements

living in cali without knowing how to drive is very unpleasant (from someone who did that, once)

that said, once you do get the license, i feel it's the best part of the country if you want to go motorcycle only to save some bucks. seems very do-able to me if you don't have kids and can occasionally rent a car as needed

of course, then you need an M class license (allows motorcycles, large scooters, etc. harder to get than regular license)

you need some sort of highway capable vehicle, so whatever scooter you can drive out there without a M class license won't cut it

that said, i do know people who live in cali without a car and i was once one of them. it's just not a good idea IMO. many of them have no choice (DUI, student who can't afford it, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
I live in Bonita, which is about twenty minutes from North Park. I was raised and lived most of my life in North Park. If there is anywhere in San Diego appropriate for a scooter it is North Park. There is a big scooter, moped and small engine motorcycle scene in North Park. With that being said, you will need to have a car to live in California, especially San Diego. Mass transit is not efficient and everything is spread out. Southern California as a whole was designed with a car in mind.

I would recommend getting a driver's license and car first, and I would recommend the scooter later. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course and then get your M1 endorsement. You should be able to find an affordable scooter for less than 2k.

North Park is a dense urban neighborhood and everything is close. Close enough to take a scooter with a top box for shopping and business. It is the "hip" thing there right now. But make no mistake, it is a motorized two wheel vehicle with risk and vulnerability. All the gear, all the time.

I would also get some input from the San Diego section on City Data.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 AM

64 posts, read 235,978 times
Thanks, great to hear about the scooter scene in North Park. That's good advice. I will learn how to drive a car first and then consider the scooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I live in Bonita, which is about twenty minutes from North Park. I was raised and lived most of my life in North Park. If there is anywhere in San Diego appropriate for a scooter it is North Park. There is a big scooter, moped and small engine motorcycle scene in North Park. With that being said, you will need to have a car to live in California, especially San Diego. Mass transit is not efficient and everything is spread out. Southern California as a whole was designed with a car in mind.

I would recommend getting a driver's license and car first, and I would recommend the scooter later. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course and then get your M1 endorsement. You should be able to find an affordable scooter for less than 2k.

North Park is a dense urban neighborhood and everything is close. Close enough to take a scooter with a top box for shopping and business. It is the "hip" thing there right now. But make no mistake, it is a motorized two wheel vehicle with risk and vulnerability. All the gear, all the time.

I would also get some input from the San Diego section on City Data.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 AM

70 posts, read 127,982 times
I have a scooter and its great for small errands near by. I used to ride one to work at UCSD and I've seen a lot more since then. I do have my motorcycle license also. That being said, scooter should be secondary and having a car is almost a must (to me at last) anywhere in so cal. Lessons aren't too expensive these days.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM

396 posts, read 923,810 times
San Diego is a city with very strong scooter culture. It hosted Amerivespa rally three times including 2013. One of the biggest scooter store and online store is located in San Diego. ScooterWest.com - Motor Scooter Performance & Vintage Vespa Parts Store
Call Us: Come Visit Us: Store Hours:
3955 Pacific Hwy
San Diego,CA 92110 Tuesday - Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm
Call them, visit them. They are very nice guys, they can help you to make a decision.
And, of course, check this link , it is the list of San Diego scooter clubsscooter Meetups near San Diego, California - scooter Meetups - San Diego

Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
dear friend u have a death wish issue not a transportation issue
look around u at our drivers

Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM

396 posts, read 923,810 times
Who said about transportation???

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-12-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I have two scooters, a small 50cc one and a big, 400cc behemoth.
The 50cc scooter is what I use in traffic. It only goes 40, but by riding smart and sneaky, I can make some seriously fast time through the city. Its a blast to ride and costs me about 6.00 a month to run
That said, I feel driving a car first would be the safest first step. If you get a scooter then, always remember that you might suffer a very painful and undesirable event if you let your attention lapse for even a second, or 'trust' a car drivers intention

Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucillenyc View Post
Thanks, great to hear about the scooter scene in North Park. That's good advice. I will learn how to drive a car first and then consider the scooter.

North Park is a great place for a scooter. Parking's a B***h here, so that's an immediate plus right there. You can get to everything you need without using the freeway. I don't ride a scooter anymore, but I use my bike to get around the entire central San Diego region and often don't even move my car Fr-Su (I commute to Escondido for work on the other days). If I can do it on a bicycle, you can do it on a scooter. Or heck, just get a bicycle!

Also, there's a huge scooter culture here in San Diego. Def. head down to Vespa Motorsports and chat with the guys down there, and if you hit up happy hour at Live Wire on a Friday night and you're likely to see a bunch of scooters out front.

Last edited by Jenkay; 10-23-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Take car driving class.. Get drivers license and buy car
Get 50cc scooter.. For a few years. Get used cheap craigslist.

After few years of car and scooter driving, take MSF class,,

Get bigger cc scooter..

IMO..only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles