Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Oh yeah, I want to "bridge" this distance between Phoenix and LA.
That trip sucks no matter What vehicle you're using (yes, I've done it ~ went to school in Phx and was MC only at the time). It's really not going to make a difference if you're on a Ninja 250 or some tank of a rolling lounge chair.

A word of caution, just because I've seen so many people fall into this trap. If you're going to buy a motorcycle, buy what works best for what you plan to do Most of the time. Meaning, if you're planning on commuting to/from work most of the time, something easy to maneuver in the city should be the key focus. You're going to make a host of compromises, it's just a frustrating thing to see someone buy a bike for a limited purpose (2-up/freeway riding) only to realize that the bike is Miserable to use on a daily basis and that daily use is the thing that's done most with the bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That trip sucks no matter What vehicle you're using (yes, I've done it ~ went to school in Phx and was MC only at the time). It's really not going to make a difference if you're on a Ninja 250 or some tank of a rolling lounge chair.

A word of caution, just because I've seen so many people fall into this trap. If you're going to buy a motorcycle, buy what works best for what you plan to do Most of the time. Meaning, if you're planning on commuting to/from work most of the time, something easy to maneuver in the city should be the key focus. You're going to make a host of compromises, it's just a frustrating thing to see someone buy a bike for a limited purpose (2-up/freeway riding) only to realize that the bike is Miserable to use on a daily basis and that daily use is the thing that's done most with the bike.
That's the key. No motorcycle is made for every kind of riding.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Thanks for sharing that, about buying a bike suited for your most daily riding habits.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:11 AM

I wasn't kidding when I said I needed a bike quickly. I walked in to my local Harley dealer to check out a couple models, and walked out owning a Sportster 883R!! They put me on a finance plan till the day I die. But hey, my payments are only $100 a month though. Seriously though I'll pay it off in two to three years.

The bike is like new, 10K miles. Even came with a one year unlimited mile warranty. The original owner put some money into it too. It's got all these "screaming eagle" parts like a deep bucket seet/sissy bar, should be comfortable for that trip to LA I want to do. It's got some two-one stage air filter thingamajig, forward foot control upgrade, digital speedometer. Oh and windshield that looks like new. It's like a mini-Road King.

When I sat on this bike, it was like, "this is the one". Minus maybe the Rebel and Savage 650, I don't care for the look of most Japanese cruisers. They all look so bloated and stretched out. This Sportster has the classic geometry of an older Japanese cruiser like an 80's Virago.

The last time I was on a motorcycle was about 18 years ago, my Kawasaki EX500. But riding this one just came second nature to me. The bike is heavy, specs say 550 lbs dry. Ain't on fancy alloys on this thing, good old fashioned steel and chrome. I know it was foolish but I couldn't resist taking it on our awesome Phoenix, AZ freeways to see what I could do. Took it up to about 80, but I think I'll be content with a relaxing 65 mph on highways. It's just nice to have a little reserve power. I want to become a highly skilled, defensive motorcycle rider. You develop that 6th sense when you can anticipate the moves of other cars. It's not about how fast you can go in a straight line.

The dealer staff was super nice. "Welcome to the family" they said. But to me whether you're riding a cheap Chinese scooter or a fully dressed Road Glide, it's all the same to me. We're all sharing a love of two wheeled transportation. Hell the person on a bicycle deserves the most respect as they're not the lazy one with an engine!

Of course they have their clothing shop with all the sinister looking biker apparel. But I don't see myself dressing like that. I'm almost 40, I've already established my personality. If I want to show up to a bike fest wearing an argyle vest with a pink button down dress shirt underneath and untucked, then so be it. Yeah I know, watch me in a year from now I'll be a prospect for a 1%er club, smuggling in methamphetamine from Mexico.

Well that's enough rambling you all. It's another beautiful dry day in Phoenix and I might take a nice cruise to downtown.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This maybe???
This new company is owned by a true enthusiest. I love this 'Misfit'
Cleveland CycleWerks - Main
single cylinder 250cc might be a bit rough for a long trip

vibration + low power...

my s40 savage is a single cylinder 650cc and as much as i love it, long trips are not it's forte due to vibration... remove ~60% of the displacement and it would be even worse for that

the scooter shop where i winter store my motorcycle is actually a dealer of these though, and i can confirm they look great in person (can't remember if they had a misfit in stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ninja 300 is da bomb
If you are into a little more upright position, check this new Suzi out! I LUV this bike!!!
Water cooled twin. I have owned/raced four Suzukis ~ its the only mechanical thing I have any brand loyalty to. I think its great they came out with a hi-tech standard
GW250:
good suggestion. as suzuki standards go i actually like looks of the tu250x even more, but again, single cylinder

http://uncrate.com/p/2011/05/suzuki-tu250x-xl.jpg

Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
I wasn't kidding when I said I needed a bike quickly. I walked in to my local Harley dealer to check out a couple models, and walked out owning a Sportster 883R!!

Of course they have their clothing shop with all the sinister looking biker apparel. But I don't see myself dressing like that. I'm almost 40, I've already established my personality. If I want to show up to a bike fest wearing an argyle vest with a pink button down dress shirt underneath and untucked, then so be it. Yeah I know, watch me in a year from now I'll be a prospect for a 1%er club, smuggling in methamphetamine from Mexico.

Something very good to know is you can upgrade the engine to a 1200cc for not a huge amount of money. It may only be about $1500-I don't remember. Hopefully, you were kidding about the club/meth thing. Best of luck!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 PM

27 posts, read 89,825 times
Quote:
Beginner bikes usually mean small displacement and that's fine.
Not always. Lots of girls start off on 800lb Harleys and I'm not talking about the Sportster. They're smart, they won't have to waste time nor will they lo$e money selling a starter bike, they go right for the gold outta the gate. You ride a bike you don't carry it, so an 800lb bike is no sweat for a petite woman once they acclimate. One key is to do lots of PLP.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
great your getting back into riding. many people love 250cc bikes, many people will disagree with me but i felt i would grow out of a 250cc bike too soon, plus i like a heavier bike as light bikes get blown around by trucks or wind.

since you have a background of riding i wouldn't be overly cauteious in terms of starting on something small. i started on a 800cc bike having never ridden and had no problems. my 800cc intruder is actually a bit light only like 450 pounds.

i really like the suzuki m40 or m50 bikes forget what they are called. i also like the vstars, and honda vtx1300's though that may be a little big. i think 750cc to 800cc bike is fine for a new rider, especiallyin your case having some experience plus big enough for expressways, to stow gear on, for a passenger, etc.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Not always. Lots of girls start off on 800lb Harleys and I'm not talking about the Sportster. They're smart, they won't have to waste time nor will they lo$e money selling a starter bike, they go right for the gold outta the gate. You ride a bike you don't carry it, so an 800lb bike is no sweat for a petite woman once they acclimate. One key is to do lots of PLP.
I'm sure I could handle a larger bike. I have the maturity at my age to be content cruising, not seeing what the bike is capable of. The main limiting factor for me, and probably most beginners is money. I wanted to get riding now, not spending the next year saving up just for a down payment.

My next bike in a few years from now will be a full size touring motorcycle. That is an HD Street Glide or a Goldwing.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
I'm sure I could handle a larger bike. I have the maturity at my age to be content cruising, not seeing what the bike is capable of.

As a returning rider, the issues that come with a bigger bike are less in some ways and more in others (the main issue returning riders like yourself have, is more confidence than skill/ability... it can put you into a situation where "your butt can't cash the check your mind wrote"). It's about the same for a new rider entering their Second year of riding, much confidence still very little ability/skill ~ and those 2 "groups" account for a large majority of crash statistics... if you want to believe number. Though it does seem to agree with what I witness. In anycase, it's simple to avoid, just don't think you're better than you really are.

And one doesn't need to be pushing the bikes limits to get into trouble. It's just easy to be doing everything right and fine where you'd be 100% safe if the world were a vacuum and you the only thing in it, but introduce a texting driver, a child chasing a ball into the street or a loose/wild animal and suddenly you're in a situation where a larger/heavier bike is Very much harder to handle (emergency maneuvers) and it can end in bad results. I just reconfirmed that the other day, 2-up riding with my wife on our 1000cc bike (Kawasaki Concours) and had a raccoon amble out onto the road. I tried to haul the bike speed down from the 45mph we were doing and knew I couldn't stop in time. I tried to swerve around it and realized that the bike was reacting too slowly and we wouldn't be in a "safe" zone, so I had to run the dang thing over. Worst possible option (I did manage to keep it upright, though it was a near thing and aided more by luck than skill), and *I* got there by being complacent in my skills. Mind you, I ride a Ninja 250 99% of the time (lol, yes.. a 6'4", 240lb guy with a full beard on a Ninja 250... what can I say, it's the most fun I've had on 2-wheels and public roads), and with That bike I could have stopped 20' short, or been all the way on the fog line of the Opposite lane.

And sportbikes are a Completely different story, compared to sportbikes ALL other motorcycles are beginner/girl/newbie bikes.

Anyway, congrats on the 883. It's a great bike for a new/re-entry rider IMHO and I hope you put ~20k enjoyable miles on it in the next few years before moving into the bike you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles