Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:37 PM

170 posts, read 983,218 times

Advertisements

Most boats i see have a fiberglass sheathed hull. What material do they use to frame these boats?? Wood?Metal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:45 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Most fiberglass boats are entirely built of fiberglass (woven fabric, mat, or random fibers) and resins.

There may be other materials used for strength/structure, such as exotic fibers (carbon, kevlar, for example), or composite sandwhich panels (or structure) using wood, foam, or other materials as needed by design, or laminated into the resins.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Most boats i see have a fiberglass sheathed hull. What material do they use to frame these boats?
Contemporary fiberglass boats do not have frames. They laid up over forms or in molds and get their strength from the materials and design.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
Often there will be frame members under a deck such as a foredeck or the deck to stand on in the boat. The gunnel is often reinforced but wood doesn't have to be the frame material. I thought of building a boat by using and old-non usable boat as a form.
A good release agent will allow the new hull to be separated from the old boat.
Old pile of junk boats can be had for free sometimes and if the hull shape hasn't been distorted by rot or warping an old boat should work as a mold.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks. Are wooden boats practical? Do people actual buy/use wooden boats or are they just for hobbiests

Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Quote:
Thanks. Are wooden boats practical? Do people actual buy/use wooden boats or are they just for hobbiests
I used to restore wooden boats and it is A LOT of work and upkeep, but there is nothing like the beauty and I believe the feeling of sailing a wood boat/yacht. How about 12 coats of varnish on the teak every 3-5 years. re-caulking the hull every 5-10 with cotton. Labor of love. I had a wooden sailboard as well.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:47 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I've also built wooden boats ... various classes of day sailing racers (Snipes, Lightnings, Fireballs, and others) ... which were competitive with the fiberglass boats.

IMO, the wood boats had a better "feel" and were "livelier". But that advantage came at a great cost in building (labor), construction, upkeep and maintenance compared to quality fiberglass construction.

Now, all but one of my boats is fiberglass. Less hassle and easier to get ready for sailing, but I'm thankful to have had the experience of what a nicely turned-out wooden racer can be.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Cool. Where do you live where sailing is convenient? Rhode Island?? Sailboats are expensive =X

Old 12-24-2007, 10:38 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Well as others have stated, it depends on how committed you are to sailing. When doing my apprenticeship building wooden sailing vessels, I discovered that the type of boat you were building also plays a role in how much up keep there is. (such as lapstrake, stitch and glue, etc..) Also you have to keep in mind that modern epoxies have totally changed boat building and offer a great deal more durability and lasting power.

There is just something about wood in a sail boat that I find appealing. Before the ultra light weight kevlar and carbon fiber boats came along, a full wooden boat was comparable and in many cases even lighter than a glass boat (depending on construction) In addition, there is something beautiful and organic about a wooden boat that few things can compare.

There are still boats sailing that are over 200 years old, and I can't say that about steel, concrete or glass. However if weekend or casual use is your cup of tea then glass is the way to go, not to mention it is way cheaper.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks. Do people make careers out of wooden boat building/restoration?? It seems like a great career but zero market other than historic restoration.

And if you are a wooden boat builder, would you consider carbon fiber boats easier to build?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles