Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,167 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, if there are ordinances, they are never enforced. Loud bikes suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,408,690 times
Between lane splitting, riding in the HOV lanes, and the loudness factor, motorcyclists in California have it too easy. Lane splitting should be illegal.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:50 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,124,162 times
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride that thing would do!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:58 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,444,119 times
Looks like some trolls got loose in here... guess it's time to spray again:

Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Really? Are they THAT sensitive? Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of super-loud bikes, either, but it's a noise heard for mere seconds while it passes by. It's a nuisance at best.

The other links provided give you the information you requested, but you may also be interested to know this tidbit: AMA on New California Exhaust Law - Motorcycle USA

Quick version: In CA, it is illegal to operate a motorcycle built on/after 1/1/13 that uses an exhaust that does not meet federal EPA sound emission regulations. OEM exhausts have complied with this for years, but that's not necessarily the case with aftermarket exhausts. So, while this is a fairly new law that isn't retroactive to older bikes, over the years you will eventually see the effects.

Mike
Many many years most bikes ith the loud exhaust are older rebuilt bikes, that's what allot of bikers ride. There are bikes out there from the 50's that just keep getting rebuilt. So much for that new law. Also many independent bike builders out there remember the show orange county choppers, I don't think the new law pertains to them just big manufactures like Harley Davidson .

Old 01-12-2015, 07:38 AM

8,107 posts, read 12,837,381 times
I think there is a real problem with noise pollution in the U.S. and it isn't just motorcycles.
Loud car stereos, loud pickup trucks, loud rice burner car exhausts and of course motorcycles.

My problem isn't as much when I am on the road driving; it is when I am sitting inside my home and have to hear someones noise pollution. I live 300 yards off the road and there are some idiots I can hear drive by despite having a white noise machine running and music playing.

Do the operators of these vehicles have the right to disrupt others quite enjoyment of their home? I think not. There should be a maximum level of sound for all vehicles and it should be enforced.

Enforcing noise ordinances isn't something law enforcement seems to care about. I guess if it doesn't involve the SWAT team or the opportunity to confiscate property (or shoot a pet dog) it isn't something they want to do.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,649,646 times
I have not read so much bs from people who obviously do not ride.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:23 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,844,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
As I put it to a student in a BRC who insisted that "loud pipes save lives," having a loud exhaust like having your horn button pressed in all the time. Although it does get attention, it also angers other road users, and eventually they'll just tune it out.
Another problem with the loud pipes save lives drivel is that it requires that everyone else obeys the sound laws - because if everyone had a loud exhaust system, the knucklehead with the noise-fetish wouldn't stand out amidst the cacaphony. In that respect, it is entirely self-centered.

Having loud pipes is such a base and juvenile desire that those who have them are more or less forced to serve up some excuse other than "I just really love being loud!", lest they sound ridiculous. I'm sure some of them even manage to convince themselves of the validity of their excuses.

Then there's the geniuses who serve up the "loud pipes save lives" excuse - and they ride without a helmet, or without leathers, thereby clearly demonstrating that personal safety is hardly a priority for them, but just an excuse (and a feeble one when any scrutiny at all is applied to it) to rationalize indulging their noise-fetish.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,116,348 times
Too many of them spread out all over the country and as said before, not much people are willing to do about it.

At this time, the only thing I can think of is to find an area where there aren't many of them around and try to flock to it.
It may be a slow thing, but if the loud exhaust crowd(both the two and four wheeled varieties) finds that they're increasingly being abandoned by regular people, then they may slightly calm their nerves and quit groping the throttle.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,765,708 times
I've read a number of responses saying the noise will be gone in a few seconds. How about the people who live along good motorcycling roads.
Loud pipes don't save lives. They **** people off and make it bad for all of us. I have a number of friends in Florida I can't visit overnight if we're on our bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles