Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times

Advertisements

Im gonna put my money on the scooter being cheaper. Ive had a Suzuki 400 and now a Honda PCX125 and they are as boringly maintenance free as a Harley. Lo-compression motors with no chains, there is nothing to do to them. The Honda gets about 125 miles to the gallon. Just by being more than triple gas efficient as a small car, that is a huge saving in money. The only thing that bike manu's do stupidly, is bucket & shim valve adjusts. Labor/time-wise, that might be comparable to a timing belt in a car with all the stuff you have to pull off. But some hi-mileage scoot people have never done it, and claim to have had no problems.
My Suzuki got 65 mpg at 75mph, I rode it for a year in FL daily, and it def was cheaper than my car was idling away in that hellish traffic.
Those 1000.00 scooters are cheap chinese junk. Seriously, don't waste your money. IF by chance you get one that does in fact run, it wont be fore long. Stick with a real scooter company if you decide to go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 05:41 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Im gonna put my money on the scooter being cheaper. Ive had a Suzuki 400 and now a Honda PCX125 and they are as boringly maintenance free as a Harley. Lo-compression motors with no chains, there is nothing to do to them. The Honda gets about 125 miles to the gallon. Just by being more than triple gas efficient as a small car, that is a huge saving in money. The only thing that bike manu's do stupidly, is bucket & shim valve adjusts. Labor/time-wise, that might be comparable to a timing belt in a car with all the stuff you have to pull off. But some hi-mileage scoot people have never done it, and claim to have had no problems.
My Suzuki got 65 mpg at 75mph, I rode it for a year in FL daily, and it def was cheaper than my car was idling away in that hellish traffic.
Those 1000.00 scooters are cheap chinese junk. Seriously, don't waste your money. IF by chance you get one that does in fact run, it wont be fore long. Stick with a real scooter company if you decide to go that route.
Funny you should say that. The scooter I was referencing when I said that I was getting 105mpg is my Honda PCX150 which is the step above your model lol

There you go OP, another Honda scooter rider with even higher gas mileage!

Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Funny you should say that. The scooter I was referencing when I said that I was getting 105mpg is my Honda PCX150 which is the step above your model lol

There you go OP, another Honda scooter rider with even higher gas mileage!

Big block gets less mileage-lol

I was worried about a peewee 125, but I really pleasantly surprised at what Honda is squeaking out of a small bike these days with watercool and fuel injection. Mine can keep up with/beat any traffic through 60mph. Where I live, thats about 20mph more than I need. I want to get a motorcycle again, but the PCX is going to be like a mini-van or something, the utility vehicle.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I don't know what I did wrong. I'm usually pretty good with tests, but I haven't been able to pass this one. The motorcycle license manual is only about forty pages long, not a difficult read. I don't really know why I'm having so much trouble with it. They said that it was a difficult test, but I imagine it would be more difficult to try to get a CDL than a motorcycle license. Plus, I don't really want the motorcycle; they go too fast. I want to drive a similar vehicle, like a scooter or a three-wheeled EV.
If you really don't want a motorcycle then I'd suggest you not buy one. Motorcycles only go as fast as you choose to go, the same with a car, however, motorcycles are not that forgiving when it comes to making a mistake, it can cost you your life. Most states offer a motorcycle safety course, I'd suggest you take the course, this will give you the basics on riding, normally after you complete the course you will receive your endorsement.
I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years, have had a couple of close calls involving cars. When riding a motorcycle it requires your undivided attention, not only do you have to pay attention to your driving but you also have to watch out for vehicles 360 degrees around you. A lot of motorist don't see a motorcycle, they look right through you, this is where accidents happen.

So, if you are unsure about a motorcycle and have doubts about your ability to ride one, then do yourself and your family a favor, don't ride one.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Check out your states laws on motorized bicycles, many have an exemption for 50cc or less motors or for electric bicycles. You do have to follow the laws of the road, but you don't need a special license. I'd still recommend a helmet and some protective clothing because at 30mph your head will split like a watermelon and road rash sucks

Old 07-21-2015, 03:04 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Check out your states laws on motorized bicycles, many have an exemption for 50cc or less motors or for electric bicycles. You do have to follow the laws of the road, but you don't need a special license. I'd still recommend a helmet and some protective clothing because at 30mph your head will split like a watermelon and road rash sucks

I'm not planning to ride without all needed safety gear, but these are the vehicles that interest me more than motorcycles and are, hopefully, a little safer than a motorcycle, but still require a motorcycle license in my state to drive one due to definitions. I don't really want a full-fledged motorcycle, because they are not safe and are rather expensive.

Electric Two to Three Wheel Vehicles Available Today

http://www.shockwavemotors.com/index-2.html

Elio Motors | The next big thing in transportation!

GenZe 2.0 could be the Vespa of electric scooters : TreeHugger

http://www.gizmag.com/toyota-i-road-...on-hamo/29295/

Last edited by krmb; 07-21-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Wanna save money? Get a decent size scooter. Mine is a 153cc and gets 105mpg and runs like a champ.

The test is easy, not sure what happened in your state.
I drive a scooter because I have a bad left ankle and makes it hard to shift a MC, I have a 2012 sym HD 200 has a radiator and go's 72 mph and gets around 70 mph. It's a tiwan scooter not a cheap Chinese one, it cost over $2000 new in 2013.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 AM

53 posts, read 48,391 times
OP, I'd say flat out: do not buy a used bike off of craigs list. Not because Craigs list bikes are bad but because, per your opening post, you say you're not a rider. I'd guess that you don't know much about bikes as well...maybe I'm wrong here but how would you know what to buy? Used is a crap shoot for the novice. Also, you put your life on the line when you ride a motorcycle. This goes for everyone including veteran riders with decades of experience on brand new, mechanically perfect, bikes.

If you want to ride, take the MSF rider safety course. You don't need a bike, they provide them. Some states, like PA, offer the course for free. Take it and learn the right way to ride safely and put yourself in a better position to decide if riding is for you.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:52 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,947,721 times
I agree with RBucksCo about a class. Does your state offer a motorcycle safety course? In Maryland, when you take the course they provide the cycles, which were little Honda 250CC Rebels if my memory serves me correctly. My buddy said FL likewise provided the bikes for the course. When you complete the course they offer the drivers test for those who don't yet have a motorcycle endorsement on their license. Plus, most insurance companies offer reduced rates for completion of the course.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Don't get a motorcycle to save money on your commute. You'll likely spend more than a used car. I commute in the DC area on a motorcycle, because I enjoy the commute better on two wheels. That's the only reason to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles