Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times

Advertisements

For about the last 4 years I’ve been enjoying my two wheel riding experiences on 3 different scooters. My very first experience was my then girlfriend’s Honda Elite 110cc. Second was an awful Kymco Super 8. Third and final was a brand new Honda PCX 150. All small bikes, but the 150 satisfied me for about 2 years and still arguably does.

I’m not a NEW new rider, but I am new to motorcycles and I acknowledge that. I did take a MSF course, but it was taken on a scooter. The course is the same with regard to safety precautions with the exception of shifting of course.

I’ve been strongly considering trading in my PCX for a Honda CBR500R (2016). I’m now at 10k miles on the PCX and the dealer will give me $1,300 for my bike which I feel is a little less than I probably can get, but the hassle probably isn’t worth the few extra hundred dollars I would get on the private market.
I’m not the type of rider who open throttles randomly for thrills. I’m only looking to commute and enjoy the road while safely getting to my destination.

I’m looking for opinions or advice on what I should consider when purchasing a new bike. Is the Honda CBR500R a good choice for a new rider? After taxes and trade and fees with ABS the total would be 6k on the dot.

Is ABS something I should buy? $500 extra is no issue to me.
Have any of you gone from scooter to motorcycle or vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 09:02 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
It's a fine motorcycle, if you've been happy on the scooter, you'll be happy with the 500r. Don't stress it.

When looking to change rides though, it helps to know exactly what you do and don't like with the things you have experience with and Try to keep the things you like while removing those you don't. For instance, if you like the twist-n-go CVT setup of the scooters, are you going to be happy with a more traditional arrangement or is it going to annoy you to no end? You may have been through this to arrive at the Honda replacement, but incase you haven't it could save you a whole heap of headache done the line.

As for trade-ins, you're right in that you'll get less for the trade-in than with private sale. I happen to be very comfortable with private sales (and very low on funds... that $500 extra for ABS that's no big deal for you, is enough for me to buy a whole motorcycle). But you can offset the lower price a little by asking for "extras". New helmet, jacket, gloves, extended service, a set of tires, pretty much Anything that they sell. Make the (subtle) point that you've been through 3 vehicles in 4 years and might be looking to buy again in 2 more... good will (positive reviews and a potential repeat customer) is worth the ~$200 they might toss in with extras.

With the ABS, so long as you don't ride on dirt/gravel/sand with any frequency (ABS is downright dangerous on those surfaces), it's probably something worthwhile. I wouldn't spend money on it myself, but I'm an old-school performance rider (track days and racing) who knows how to modulate brakes manually and don't like the idea of something that can fail be involved in an oltherwise reliable and robust system that's proven to work. Call me old school, but I just don't like ABS on motorcycles.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I’m looking for opinions or advice on what I should consider when purchasing a new bike.
Consider buying a used bike instead. You might ride it for a while then decide you want to move up to something bigger; alternatively you might conclude that riding's not for you. Either way, buying used means someone else takes the depreciation 'hit'.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
I've traveled on a similar path in the two wheeled world. I started on a 150cc scooter, rode it for a year and then picked up a motorcycle and haven't looked back. My primary reason for getting the scooter was for commuting and that still makes up a good chunk of my current riding. I personally went the used route first by finding a cheap Kawasaki Ninja 500R on craigslist. This was an ok bike to learn on and really helped me decide exactly what I wanted in a motorcycle. I've since sold that and bought a BMW F650CS and could probably stick with this bike for a long time.

So anyway, back to your question, regarding the move from scooter to motorcycle, I say YES, DO IT! I would say that the CBR500R would be an excellent choice as a first motorcycle. A CBR250/300 would fit the bill as well. As a newer rider I'm a huge proponent of ABS brakes. I decided having them was a must after I had a few close calls on the Ninja (fishtailed a few stops pretty bad). Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-30-2016, 09:14 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I decided having them was a must after I had a few close calls on the Ninja (fishtailed a few stops pretty bad).

FWIW, if you haven't learned this yet, one could effectively ignore the rear brake for their entire riding career and have zero issues. It has its uses, such as when trying to make a tight u-turn (best to leave the clutch fully out, keep constant throttle and modulate speed and tightness with rear brake), or when on very slippery surfaces to slow down and stop over a LONG distance, plus there are some performance riding aspects like settling the chassis before entering a corner, but the front brake is the one that does the lions share of work. Locking up the rear (fishtailing as you put it) comes from over-use, easy to recover from (let off the brake, then reapply as needed). Anyway, for street riding unless you're riding on snow and ice, the front brake should be the primary method of stopping.

I think you just hit on the aspect I *don't* like about ABS. Do you just stomp on the rear brake and let the ABS stop you? That means you're not learning essential, Foundation level, skills and rely on an external device. It can malfunction and often does unless the brake system is maintained, when's the last time you flushed and changed the brake fluid? If it's more than 2 years, you're overdue and inviting additional risk.

Just perspective from an old rider who's also an old mechanic...

Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 7,148 times
In case of Two wheeler s, we cant foget our first companion Even though we brought a new one.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
FWIW, if you haven't learned this yet, one could effectively ignore the rear brake for their entire riding career and have zero issues. It has its uses, such as when trying to make a tight u-turn (best to leave the clutch fully out, keep constant throttle and modulate speed and tightness with rear brake), or when on very slippery surfaces to slow down and stop over a LONG distance, plus there are some performance riding aspects like settling the chassis before entering a corner, but the front brake is the one that does the lions share of work. Locking up the rear (fishtailing as you put it) comes from over-use, easy to recover from (let off the brake, then reapply as needed). Anyway, for street riding unless you're riding on snow and ice, the front brake should be the primary method of stopping.

I think you just hit on the aspect I *don't* like about ABS. Do you just stomp on the rear brake and let the ABS stop you? That means you're not learning essential, Foundation level, skills and rely on an external device. It can malfunction and often does unless the brake system is maintained, when's the last time you flushed and changed the brake fluid? If it's more than 2 years, you're overdue and inviting additional risk.

Just perspective from an old rider who's also an old mechanic...
This video can better explain the benefit of ABS brakes than I ever could.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_UkAFW6cA

Old 05-01-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
So anyway, back to your question, regarding the move from scooter to motorcycle, I say YES, DO IT! I would say that the CBR500R would be an excellent choice as a first motorcycle. A CBR250/300 would fit the bill as well. As a newer rider I'm a huge proponent of ABS brakes. I decided having them was a must after I had a few close calls on the Ninja (fishtailed a few stops pretty bad). Good luck with your decision!
Yeah... I checked out the Honda Forza 300 yesterday at the same bike dealer just to keep my options open. It's a fine bike... But I just feel like it has way too much plastic going on. I like the storage and all, but idk... It just doesn't excite me all that much.

I think the 500 is just going to be it at this point. I haven't found a single video online of people really saying anything negative and most are positive reviews. The bike sounds SUPER smooth and although I have no shifting experience, I believe that I do have enough street experience to keep things under control!

I'll have a friend of mine do a quick test ride on it and get his opinion. Then I'll get someone to drive it back for me. There's a parking lot not far from me that I can bring it to. I'll practice there. I've driven PLENTY of stick shift vehicles so I think the concept will be translated nicely once I get the motion down.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Just got off the phone with the dealer that I wanted to buy the bike from. He originally had a price of $6,401 but I managed to get a LITTLE bit off (I emphasize a little). $6,295 after trade in.

I mean... it's expensive, but it'll be brand new straight from the factory AND include ABS and the dealer is super close to me.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:27 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,853 times
Mazel tov on the new ride! And having a dealer close by is always a nice bonus.

I've been considering trading my KLR650 or GSXF650 for a CB500X, I'll be interested to see how you like your new scoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles