Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times

Advertisements

Harleys are very popular, of course. A number of years ago, Victory started trying to take some of Harley's share of sales. Without getting into reliability and resale issues, which one is more enjoyable to ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:28 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Neither? Both?

This is an impossible question for some Else to answer for you, because it's 100% your personal style, how you see yourself, and what appeals to You. Both lineups are reliable enough that you're going to be bored and sell the bike before the bike lets you down (honestly, hard to find a motorcycle made that won't fit that notion).

Bottom line is how are we, the internet at large, to know what you derive joy from much less the fine details of "more" or "less" enjoyable.

For instance, I derive more joy from bikes bought under $1000 and refurbished (by myself). I haven't gone north of $5k for a bike because I saw that the more money I spent, the LESS fun they were to ride. I was more worried about them being damaged, dropped, stolen... basically losing my money because I have never had much to lose/don't believe in financing toys. What I find enjoyable completely clashes (or seems to) with what You find enjoyable.

All that said, even as a factory certified HD mechanic, I'd take the Victory. Probably because I've had to interact with HD owners way too much and I wouldn't willingly invite more interaction.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Both are nice bikes. Personally I prefer the Victorys. The lines just look cleaner and more up to date to me, while maintaining the "retro" look of all cruisers. Sort of like the new Camaro to a 1975. Not to mention the Vics are more up to date on technology and make considerably more power. But cruiser buyers aren't getting them for performance. Get what calls to YOU and don't worry about anyone else.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
But cruiser buyers aren't getting them for performance. Get what calls to YOU and don't worry about anyone else.

Harley owners frequently modify their bikes for more power. They can get them quite powerful for the type of engine it is, but it costs money. The cornering clearance is unacceptable for me, though.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Harley owners frequently modify their bikes for more power. They can get them quite powerful for the type of engine it is, but it costs money. The cornering clearance is unacceptable for me, though.
Yes, you can improve the performance of a HD or any other V-Twin cruiser with the application of money. And it will still be stomped by many "general purpose" (UJM) bikes, ADV bikes let alone sportbikes. Not a shot-pure performance isn't what cruisers are built for. And that's not a bad thing-still enough performance to get you where you need to go, in comfort and style.

One thing OP....there are LOTS of used HDs on Craigslist, some are quite good deals. On our local one, I'd say 1/2-2/3 of the bikes for sale are HD, which reflects what buyers have purchased.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:48 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Don't forget the Polaris Indians. They are all new designs that retain the classic look and feel, I've ridden them at Sturgis and was amazed. I would both of them over a harley, which I have also ridden and haven't enjoyed nearly as much as the Victory Vision.

I did like the engine of the V-Rod but the riding position was rather brutal.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
If I were in the market for a new bike, it would be a Victory, either the Victory Vision or the Cross Country Tour. In my opinon, borth of these are hands down better than a Harley.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yes, you can improve the performance of a HD or any other V-Twin cruiser with the application of money. And it will still be stomped by many "general purpose" (UJM) bikes, ADV bikes let alone sportbikes. Not a shot-pure performance isn't what cruisers are built for. And that's not a bad thing-still enough performance to get you where you need to go, in comfort and style.

One thing OP....there are LOTS of used HDs on Craigslist, some are quite good deals. On our local one, I'd say 1/2-2/3 of the bikes for sale are HD, which reflects what buyers have purchased.
Good post. The Yamaha Warrior was impressive was it was around. It had good power and great suspension with about 40 degrees of lean angle...The UJM bikes are my favorite. There's less of them now than in the past. The new ones are ugly to me...That's good for buyers there are a lot of Harleys in the classifieds. Prices will fall further in the future as HD built over 200K bikes for many years. Over 300K built one year, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Don't forget the Polaris Indians. They are all new designs that retain the classic look and feel, I've ridden them at Sturgis and was amazed.
I read good things about them. The fenders just aren't for me, though.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
If I were in the market for a new bike, it would be a Victory, either the Victory Vision or the Cross Country Tour.
When I first saw the Vision I thought it was hideous. But it came to grow on me pretty quickly-now I really like it; one of my favorite "cruisers" in touring garb. Wish it had bigger saddlebags though-internal space is tiny. I really wish Triumph would follow that direction with a Rocket touring. Stylish, integrated fairing, bags and trunk, with all the audio and other goodies, like what Victory accomplished with the Vision. They managed to do a good job of keeping a retro "streamliner" style with a contemporary design. Rocket Touring and most Harley touring bikes look stuck in the '70s. Fairings and bags look like afterthoughts.

re Indian
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I read good things about them. The fenders just aren't for me, though.
I'm in the same place with them. They are the most powerful and probably most sophisticated of all the US "cruisers". But the style is just too retro for me. Not a terrible thing-it does distinguish them from the Vic (both Vic and Indian are Polaris brands).

Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
One thing to consider is where you live and how you plan to use the bike. Victory's are great bikes, but there aren't a lot of places to get them serviced if you have a problem. I had the same concerns about buying an Indian. I do a lot of long distance cross-country riding, so I went with a Harley because I can find a competent mechanic almost anywhere on the continent. My two cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles