Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 02:34 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,420 times

Advertisements

It's more than just how big a bike should a rider get, a lot of it depends on where you'll be doing your riding. If you're in the flatlands with straight roads a smaller bike will not only get boring quickly, it'll be tiring as well. If you're in very hilly or mountainous terrain, big bikes become a major chore rather than an enjoyable ride. A bigger bike in Florida makes sense, a 250 or 300 will have you looking more at your mirrors than the road ahead to see who's coming up on you. But that bigger bike on the Dragon or Moonshiner will give you a physical workout that would make Richard Simmons proud, meanwhile you're getting passed by the smaller bikes and even the bigger scooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:27 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
A small dual sport like a KLX250 or Honda CRF230 is a great type of bike to learn on (unless you're short of inseam)

Learning off road can help a lot with developing your riding skills and dirt is usually a lot softer than pavement when new riders go down.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 PM

39,872 posts, read 26,514,597 times
My personal recommendation for a new rider...if you are anywhere with a reasonable number of dirt or forest service roads, get a small dual-sport bike. First, most dirt roads don't have a lot of traffic-perfect for a new rider. 2nd, dealing with loose dirt, rocks, ruts and uneven surfaces is excellent training for the unexpected when riding on-road. I learned more in riding in my first year on a dual-sport than I had in 20 years on pavement. Dealing with loose gravel on the road used to be a scary experience. After riding dirt, no more. Obstacles in the road or going into a turn too hot used to inspire "target fixation" (where you look at what you really DON'T want to hit...and ride right into it), that becomes much less of an issue, when you deal with avoiding rocks/ruts/stumps a few dozen times an hour. Not the least-you'll typically be going slower, and if you do make a mistake, dirt is more forgiving than say steel. Best part-dirt roads often take you to places with the coolest sites or best views. And riding dirt is just flat out FUN! Perhaps most important-you will have to swerve and work to avoid "stuff" in the dirt, rather it is an unexpected rut, branch on the road or a fur-bearing terrorist (deer). Learning how to react to a situation leaves you far better prepared when some brain-dead teenage girl on a cell phone turns across your path. Something like an XT250 or if you're tall a WR250R, KLX250 or CFL250L would be great to start with. Though the WR and KLX are quite tall and might intimidate a new rider. They are also perfectly fine street bikes on city streets and secondary roads-though in many cases underpowered if your riding involves interstate.

I made the rookie mistake of buying a bike I wanted and figured I'd "grow into it" and was afraid of getting one I'd get bored with in a few months. It was a CB700SC (Nighthawk S), a really great bike in it's day. Also ~80hp. Perfectly manageable-but like most new riders, I got cocky and though I had "mastered" riding in a couple thousand miles. Went down a couple times in stupid circumstances that shouldn't have been an issue. And came real close to killing myself that first summer in another occasion when I had it wound up and went into a bumpy curve going way too fast. Riding isn't something you really ever master-every year, heck every ride, is a learning experience. That doesn't mean it has to be a scary or unnecessarily dangerous one. Start slow, respect what you ride, learn from more experienced riders and most importantly, enjoy yourself. And don't get cocky and try to ride like you're a road racer.

And don't sweat getting the "perfect" first bike. Bikes are very much individuals, and different bikes "fit", both physically and for the type of riding you want, differently. If you get the bug you'll go through a few bikes before you find the one that really calls to you. And even then, it can become a passion where they multiply in your garage. You might decide you really enjoy the social aspects of the "cruiser" crowd. Or carving a canyon on a sportbike (with some experience!). Or really get hooked on dual sport/ADV events. Or long distance touring. No one bike is perfect for all of those. So don't sweat "perfect", look for used, cheap (if you don't at least drop a bike in the driveway or at a corner you'll be one of the few), enjoy, and see what calls to you.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-10-2016 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Thanks. I agree with everyone's assessments.

Another one I've seen is that the 600-700 naked bikes aren't too much because they're Vtwins and not high strung race bikes. Thoughts on that?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Can you determine at this point what type of riding you will be doing?
Cruising
Touring
commuting
Sport
enduro
etc.
Also if you plan on riding with friends what are they riding?
I'd start on a bike you feel comfortable with along the lines of the type of riding you plan on doing.Perhaps something in the 650cc or lower range.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Can you determine at this point what type of riding you will be doing?
Cruising
Touring
commuting
Sport
enduro
etc.
Also if you plan on riding with friends what are they riding?
I'd start on a bike you feel comfortable with along the lines of the type of riding you plan on doing.Perhaps something in the 650cc or lower range.
This is not about me. I started on a GS500 which has a touch more power than a Ninja 250, but really, I think either one would have been fine. Of course I dropped it. Numerous times. Glad I didn't have more power. Throttle control was definitely a learning experience. Since then, I've gone through a cruiser phase, touring bike, supermoto, etc.

The question is about first timers. Would a vtwin like a an SV650, S40, or FZ07 be a good first bike, because it is less twitchy and does not have the power of a sport bike?

Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Yes and no. Not all low HP bikes are new-rider friendly, some are simply low horsepower repli-racers and will Absolutely lock the front tire, rear tire or turn the rider right into the ground if the rider gives those inputs. HP is the most commonly talked about aspect, and generally most lower HP bikes (and pretty much ALL lower budget bikes bought new) are good to start with, but it's hardly the only aspect. This is mostly about sports bikes, the good ones don't "filter" rider inputs, you tell the bike what to do and it does it without hesitation. Absolutely amazing when you have the basic knowledge to use that, but when you're a new rider and get a little happy with that front brake and you could be quickly surfing the pavement. Similarly, put a little too much 'umph' into initiation a turn and you can simply turn yourself right into the ground. Cruisers pretty much only get heavier and harder to handle at slow speeds, their riding experience doesn't really change a whole lot as you move up in price. Dual-sports are like cruisers in that, other than power, you're not really changing the riding characteristics... you get a MUCH nicer ride as you get away from damper-rod forks and emulsion shocks, but there isn't such a huge divide.

My thoughts are under 50hp is better than over 50hp, I don't really care if that's 2-stroke or 4-stroke, single, twin, triple or four... heck, or electric. The funny thing is that 50hp used to be reserved for touring bikes.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Thanks. I agree with everyone's assessments.

Another one I've seen is that the 600-700 naked bikes aren't too much because they're Vtwins and not high strung race bikes. Thoughts on that?
My first ride was a 600cc Yamaha FZ-6. Naked "standard" sport bike, had a de-tuned R6 engine in it. Good for commuting and learning how to ride without killing yourself. I liked it because it was comfortable, was a good size for me and had power for highway riding. I was not a fan of the 250cc bikes after sitting on them, they felt too...small. I put some miles on that FZ commuting, didn't drop it, but went over the bars on 95 when someone brake checked me (eyewitness report...all I remember is waking up in the hospital the next morning). Neurologist told me to wait 3 months before I rode to make sure the concussion healed and I wound up having to do PT to get full range back in one of my knees after the accident. As soon as the therapist cleared me to ride, I stopped off on my way home from his office and bought a new bike - Suzuki GSX-R600. Still a 600cc bike, but a lot more unforgiving than my FZ-6. Pulled harder off the line, wound up faster and handled better. Had that one until recently when some d-bag stole it and took enough parts off it that insurance totaled it when it was recovered. It's replacement will be a GSX-R750.

Long and short, work your way up. Don't buy a liter as your first ride, and you certainly don't need a 600cc supersport as your first ride either. It's a good way to kill yourself. I would never have wanted to ride my GSX-R600 had I not had a tamer bike first to show me the ropes.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I thought it was HP limited, not CC @ZolaLloyd?
Yeah its not CC.

In Ireland its engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. I think when I looked at it I couldnt ride my 454 LTD but could ride a higher CC Bandit as my first bike.

My very first american "bike" was a 150CC that I did my test on. I got rid of it in under two months for the 454LTD. I wouldnt go too small, 650 sounds good. You dont want to have to buy a new bike because the one you started on isnt cutting it. You ideally want a bike that will last years.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default First bike size

It depends on the persons size and personality. you can't learn well if the bike doesn't fit you. My friend is a large guy he started on a 1200 bandit and he had no problem with it, another friend started on a 250 but never mastered it. Everyone is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles