Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 07:45 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times

Advertisements

Beef versus bikes: Proposed U.S. tariff threatens to hurt European motorcycle manufacturers - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Yeah, everything about this ticks me off. I'll try to sum up the situation in an efficient manner:

1) the motorcycle industry has absolutely no relation to the beef industry.
2) this would not only negatively impact European motorcycle companies but would also hurt US consumers
3) A more logical solution would be for the US beef industry to remove hormones from their products, which is what caused this dispute in this first place. I want to know whose brilliant idea it was it to ignore this option and decide it was a better idea to bully Europe into buying hormone-laced products.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM

4) Another way to help absorb the pain that this tariff would cause to US consumers would be for a US company to consider producing a decent motorcycle in the 50-500cc range. Why is this so much to ask? As it stands all this would do is cause people to buy Japanese instead of European bikes since US companies currently offer nothing in this segment. Oh wait, sorry there is one option, the Harley Street 500. I suppose every American rider will respond to this tariff by buying one of these....

Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
I don't see this hurting the consumer much in the long term (as much as I really don't agree with it). Looking at that list - how many of those are actually sold here? It would hurt the scooter market, but even then...how many are really sold?

For me, Aprilia would be the only one I care about. Maybe KTM for the off-road and dual sport crowd, but that's about it.

In regards to American companies manufacturing the 50-500cc bikes...I don't see it happening. You'd get a 500cc cruiser and then what? How big is the market for them, really? The Japanese makers have that segment pretty much gift wrapped. I know around here (Northern VA), I wouldn't be caught dead on one of our interstates with anything LESS than a 500cc cruiser. I've ridden the 250's and 300's....hell no.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 AM

Street Motorcycle models affected by this:
1) BMW G310R (313cc)
2) Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 (399cc)
3) KTM Duke 390 (373cc)
4) KTM RC390 (373cc)

The rest impacted are scooters (mainly Vespa, Piaggio and Aprilia) and dirt bikes (mainly KTM)

Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post

In regards to American companies manufacturing the 50-500cc bikes...I don't see it happening. You'd get a 500cc cruiser and then what? How big is the market for them, really? The Japanese makers have that segment pretty much gift wrapped. I know around here (Northern VA), I wouldn't be caught dead on one of our interstates with anything LESS than a 500cc cruiser. I've ridden the 250's and 300's....hell no.
I disagree. I really think this is a missed opportunity for Companies like Harley and Polaris to offer small capacity bikes to reel in more beginner riders to their brand. I'm not necessarily suggesting that they need to start making scooters or sport bikes but why not release a 250cc cruiser to compete with the Yamaha V Star 250 and Honda Rebel. They could contract with MSF classes and sell a crapload of them that way. Or better yet, they could release a retro standard similar to the Suzuki TU250X or a baby scrambler like the Suzuki Vanvan 200. I would pick up one of those without hesitation.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
4) Another way to help absorb the pain that this tariff would cause to US consumers would be for a US company to consider producing a decent motorcycle in the 50-500cc range. Why is this so much to ask? As it stands all this would do is cause people to buy Japanese instead of European bikes since US companies currently offer nothing in this segment. Oh wait, sorry there is one option, the Harley Street 500. I suppose every American rider will respond to this tariff by buying one of these....
It's very hard to compete with the Japanese in the 50-500cc range. I don't think those Harley "street" models will last. Aren't they canceling the V-Rod?

Old 02-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
It's very hard to compete with the Japanese in the 50-500cc range. I don't think those Harley "street" models will last. Aren't they canceling the V-Rod?
You think so? I actually think the Street series has a lot of potential. I'd like to see Harley take that 750cc Revolution X powerplant and put it in a roadster or scrambler body.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:46 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
I disagree. I really think this is a missed opportunity for Companies like Harley and Polaris to offer small capacity bikes to reel in more beginner riders to their brand. I'm not necessarily suggesting that they need to start making scooters or sport bikes but why not release a 250cc cruiser to compete with the Yamaha V Star 250 and Honda Rebel. They could contract with MSF classes and sell a crapload of them that way. Or better yet, they could release a retro standard similar to the Suzuki TU250X or a baby scrambler like the Suzuki Vanvan 200. I would pick up one of those without hesitation.
Polaris (Victory) just fled the building, unf., independent of current events.

I asked the same of H-D in 1994, when they produced a homologation special VR1000 that was street legal. And $50K, with only a couple hundred for sale it was lucky I even saw one (at WSBK races, Laguna Seca). If it was $10K, I'd have bought one on the spot. Nope, H-D didn't spend too long in the sportbike segment, nor do they compete with JPN in too many small bikes. They are successful where they are, and show few signs over the decades of moving out of their niche "too far" or more than glacially-changing the existing products since success is so tenuous in that business. Can't blame them, from a business perspective, frustrating though it may be since just once in my life I'd love to say "...and I'm a Harley-Davidson rider!" as I roar in on a true sport-tourer or sportbike, not a rolling replica/relic from c. 1965.

I'm a >1000cc Euro bike kind of guy past seven years, though any hope I had of a KTM 2-stroke woods bike would flap away on slow wings if this passes (c. 300cc). An idea past its prime, in my case, perhaps. I've owned several c. 500cc or less Euro bikes across the decades, this is all rather weird.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
You think so? I actually think the Street series has a lot of potential. I'd like to see Harley take that 750cc Revolution X powerplant and put it in a roadster or scrambler body.
Yes, unfortunately. Even if the Street series has potential I doubt it will go far. Just look at Buell when HD had them or even after. Just recently Buell went bankrupt again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
They are successful where they are, and show few signs over the decades of moving out of their niche "too far" or more than glacially-changing the existing products since success is so tenuous in that business. Can't blame them, from a business perspective, frustrating though it may be since just once in my life I'd love to say "...and I'm a Harley-Davidson rider!" as I roar in on a true sport-tourer or sportbike, not a rolling replica/relic from c. 1965.

I'm a >1000cc Euro bike kind of guy past seven years, though any hope I had of a KTM 2-stroke woods bike would flap away on slow wings if this passes (c. 300cc). An idea past its prime, in my case, perhaps. I've owned several c. 500cc or less Euro bikes across the decades, this is all rather weird.
My prediction for HD is they'll be selling much less bikes in the future due to there being so many of them out there. Prices of used ones have come down, along with the quality/reliability of recent models (I think).

HD sold dirt bikes in the past. IIRC, they were made by an Italian company.

I thought either KTM or Husqvarna currently has a 300cc enduro bike. If referring to two-stroke dual-purpose bikes, there may be a loop-hole(s) to get one plated in one's state (ex: one already plated in another state). I think in California there's an exception for 49 state vehicles under certain circumstances such as a person moving in from another state, and/or the vehicle having a certain amount of miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles