Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:32 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,403 times

Advertisements

so one criteria I am looking for...something with more power than my cb500x. being in Colorado, the power plummets a lot.

-reliability with minimal issues being a daily rider
-which bike is better 0 - 60mph
-rolling 20mph to 80mph
-and holding 80 - 90mph w/o stressing engine.

being in colorado, the flow of traffic is usually 80 - 90mph. I also like staying in the left lane since I feel the safest, so I need a burst of speed when I need to escape something or go to my exit.

My cb500x is revving pretty high at 80MPH and the power just is not enough for highway speeds in colorado.

so which bike would meet my criteria

FZ6R
CBR650F
ninja650
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:58 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
It is 100% personal preference. The differences you're trying to find are Fractions of a percent, unnoticeable outside of that last decimal point of the bikes ability.

While I don't begrudge people for Wants, I actually have direct personal experience riding in CO, WY, MT, UT and AZ at elevation. The Ninja 250, with its whopping 30hp, was enough for me, at 6'4" and ranging between 280 and 230lbs, to Never feel unsafe or think I needed more. Maybe riding up Mt Evans or Pikes Peak, but never on the roads where I'd go play a little. If you're relying on power to keep you out of trouble, you're going the wrong direction... rider awareness is easily the #1 thing for avoiding trouble, and Brakes are the best tool for most emergencies, with handling not far behind. I'm not sure I've ever been in a situation, through decades of riding and hundreds of thousands of miles covered, where more power was the answer (on the street at least, helps a good bit off-road to get you out of trouble as you increase the gyroscopic forces with the wheels). And don't worry about "stressing" the engine. I put nearly 60k miles on Ninja 250's where they essentially lived within a couple thousand RPM of redline. There's nothing harmful about doing that, does no damage, no additional wear (actually, it might do Less wear as the oil is moved more), won't noticeably shorten engine life.... basically it's an irrational thing to fear/avoid. Please understand I say this from the perspective of having started down the MC Mechanic career path back in 1999 and focusing on sports bikes and roadracing.

Anyway, given that you Want something different, there are already shoot-outs with these 3 bikes published:

Middleweight Intermediate Sportbike Shootout + Video

All 3 bikes will meet, and far exceed, your wants. Buy which ever seems like the most desirable to you.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 AM

awesome appreciate it!!

well I live in CO, so my cb500x is already topping at 80 - 90 MPH. most highways and roads flow is about 80 MPH. I daily every day, so just would be nice to have the power when I need it.

i do stop a lot at scenic places and often times flow of traffic is 60 - 70MPH sometimes 80. so I need to do a quick burst of speed to catch up if I stop at some place along the road.

if you been in CO, you prob see what flow of traffic is on i25 haha. 80 - 90mph which my CB500x can do, but takes a bit to get up to that speed range. usually 75+

--------------------------------

anyhow, seems I keep coming across that. these 3 bikes, I wont notice much of a difference. few people said CBR650f might be a bit faster. So far I am pointing to the ninja650

Last edited by willc86; 07-18-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM

going to do a double post here. So I think the versys 650 might have the power delivery I am looking for. I am highly looking at the versys 650; I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike?

hows the stopping power?
hows the shifting? smooth or so?
how does the power deliver compare to the ninja650?
and of course the reliability?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:01 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,815 times
Why not a Ducati or a Hayabusa?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Why not a Ducati or a Hayabusa?

Be gone with you foul troll.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,725 times
When in doubt, go with the Honda. I've always been a Yamaha guy, but you just can't beat the quality of the Big H. They're so good, they are almost boring, appliance-like.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
When in doubt, go with the Honda. I've always been a Yamaha guy, but you just can't beat the quality of the Big H. They're so good, they are almost boring, appliance-like.
ha ha yeah!! Ive been looking at the honda since I do want something super reliable. honestly so hard to decide.

I was looking at the versys 650....well being a touring bike, im guessing it should hit 100k miles no issue. I think the versys has the power I am looking for as well..when I need to sprint onto the highway from a stopped scenic place or something.

Not sure so hard to decide!

still torn between

ninja650
versys650
cbr650f
and the 6r yamaha

just wish I can test ride them, but most dealers wont.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Look on the used market if you want to test-ride without much hassle. Or jump onto either a local riding forum, or a forum specific for each of the different bikes, and see if you can find a member who'll let you ride theirs. I've had several "loaner" bikes over the years, and the only option up there that hasn't been out for quite awhile is the Honda. Yes, there will be Slight differences between the older models and something new, but nothing substantial.

If you're going though a dealer, are you breaking financial rule #1? Never finance a toy. Now could be a good time to get out from underneath a monthly payment. I can honestly say that I've had more fun on $1000 motorcycles than on $10,000+ motorcycles. The big scary thing for most people is the fear of the unknown when mechanics, this is easily circumvented by finding a Good independent mechanic (there are bad ones, there are also no good dealer mechanics as they all flee ASAP) and pay them to do a pre-purchase inspection. I put over 100k miles on a bike bought with a bad engine, and I put an unknown salvage engine into with the only real issue being typical Honda, the Reg/Rec cooked itself to death... 3 times.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
I use to ride a FZ6R and Ninja 650 ( the 2015 model). I no longer have either. Out of the two the FZ6R is a bit slower on the butt dyno but had about the smoothest and best sounding stock exhaust imho. Yamaha nailed it. However the FZ6r was just too dang heavy and top heavy for my taste so I sold it. If Yamaha ever redesigns the FZ6R I would seriously consider it again. I think its needs to drop to about 420pds max.

I also agree with the statement about Honda products. I have had a CBR250r, CBR500r and now a Honda Forza which is a 278cc scooter. All bikes can be considered a bit dull has no bad points or extreme great points. That said. I love Honda products and consider them all great rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles