Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:35 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,368 times

Advertisements

What are the pro's and con's (advantages and disadvantages) of four-stroke engines compared with two-stroke engines from a scooter perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,991 times
id never own a 2 stroke of anything. Screw mixing oil and stuff. oil change like a car and keep it that way

Old 06-08-2018, 06:13 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
I rode a scooter during my trips to Thailand, fun as hell

Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
I remember my little yamahopper moped, 1980, 50cc, back then you could get one with a learners permit at age 14. It was perfect for a small city or town, but I did take it out on quiet rural roads all the time and did some exploring. Found an old cemetery on a gravel road, and encountered a rattlesnake not 2 feet away from the tombstone I was looking at, very rare to see one in Iowa, glad he didn't bite me, but it shook it's rattle nice and loud. I just froze for a minute and he calmed down and went away.

Glad I didn't get a honda express, those things were junk, they had a wind up spring mechanism to start, usually took a couple tries, but nothing was worse back then, than the AMF mopeds, total crap. The Puch ones were slow as heck but had pedals like a bicycle, which was kinda lame. The yamahopper had a real kick start, a feature I wish "real" motorcycles had retained, as I have push started my bike many times, trying to milk along a weak battery until the end of the season. Yeah, I didn't like the 2 stroke thing and having to add oil, but some 2 stroke motors have a lot of zip to them for their size, especially back then. It wasn't that big of deal to add oil, had a easy to pull off rubber cap and the thing got 70 or 80 MPG. I wouldn't buy one for a kid to ride around in a bigger city with lots of traffic, unless you want him to die.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Like the others said the PCX150 is a solid choice. Since you are a newbie to scooters you might want something bigger than 150cc soon and with how easy the PCX resells that a big bonus. You can buy a used one and sell it for a few hundred less in a year. Nothing to lose with used PCX150s.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Two stroke produces more power from an equivalent sized engine, but requires addition of oil to the fuel. Now it's done through a separate tank that you fill, just like gas. In the old days you had to premix in the can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles