Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:32 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One or two exceptions with the "if you're on the ground it's your own fault" thing but those are obvious like oil you just can't see and some idiot turning in front of you.
I was hit from behind while stopped at a red light - the car driver saw the red light and started braking, but apparently wanted to be at the white line - where I was. I'd even checked my mirrors to make sure he was slowing down - then, going all of 5 miles per hour, he made a nice clean hit on my rear license plate. The car wins in such scenarios, in case anyone wonders. Most remarkable thing about that serving of asphalt was that my laptop was in my backpack, essentially broke my fall, yet survived and kept running for years afterwards. (IBM Thinkpad T42, in case anyone wonders.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
no i think the car behind him rear ended him (if i read that correctly)

one of the reason I get f-n pissed when I get tail gated on my bike.
At the danger of starting anew debate, this is one of the reasons I like lane splitting. Sure, it comes with its own set of problems, but you're less likely to get caught between two colliding cars.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:40 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
At the danger of starting anew debate, this is one of the reasons I like lane splitting. Sure, it comes with its own set of problems, but you're less likely to get caught between two colliding cars.

One of the prime reasons to be on the white line.......the nitwits can't squash you like a bug....

Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times
i honestly just wish they made a designated motorcycle lane where no cars can cross over...but i know this will bring debates and obviously will never happen (exception of a few cities/states)

I mean i believe with proper positioning and proper awareness almost any accidents can be avoided. When I start seeing car braking or i see a slow down of traffic I start engine braking wayyyy back way that way ill never have to brake hard and the car behind me has plenty of time to brake even while distracted. also i can speed up in front if I see he is not slowing down

riding a cycle is no joke. takes a lot of awareness and situational awareness. the fact that he was rear ended and he had to brake hard meaning he was probably a bit too close of course the truck/car behind him is at fault and prob was on his cellphone like a retard.

but if was enough for him to stay way back and slow at a steady pace, he prob would have not been rear ended. however hopefully he sues that fcker for rear ending him and putting him at a life threatening state. anytime a car rear ends some1 they were either following to close, speeding, not paying attention. I have NEVER been close to rear ending someone except once when I was on my cellphone when I was on my early 20s...never again

Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I lost a very dear friend to a head-on HD vs car accident. Not too much he could do when the teenage driver of the car decided she just had to pass a slow truck going uphill on a two lane road. My friend was wearing all the accepted safety gear, was very experienced (multiple cross-country rides over many years), and a cautious fellow in general. I met him during a wilderness survival course he taught on a regular basis. His only mistake was not "wearing" a car at that moment. The accident investigation showed he was trying to avoid the car but didn't have quite enough time. He was killed, the teen car driver walked away with a broken thumb and hopefully a change in attitude.
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the murderer spent at least a few decades in prison to contemplate their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles