Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 11:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
As I stated previously, saltwater sailing is a different animal (in regard to radio protocol as well, apparently).

I'm trying to think of any time I've used the VHF under sail. In the harbor motoring to talk to the bridge tender, yacht club launch, harbormaster, or dock tender? Sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 09:18 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm trying to think of any time I've used the VHF under sail. In the harbor motoring to talk to the bridge tender, yacht club launch, harbormaster, or dock tender? Sure.
We've all heard the annoying chatter which goes against VHF protocol, particularly relative to specific channels, whether they are ignorant of such or simply choose to ignore it. In fact, I find this annoyance to be (far) more common than 'yelling, cussing', per the OP.

In the past, I primarily used it for operational messaging i.e. potential weather (emergencies) and so on; now, however, there's IridiumGo (with a fixed mast-mount antenna) allowing access to PredictWind Offshore and mail/web apps along with texting, calls, and so on - even Twitter, lol.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:30 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I took some classes offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary many moons ago that were excellent. They explained the hows and whys of operating a boat. One class was general boating, mostly power, and the other was sailing which requires a bit more skill.

Launching a sailboat from a ramp tends to be complicated by power boaters who don't understand that sailboats don't have brakes and can not be put in reverse to slow/stop like a power boat.

I had a cousin who was launching an inboard cabin cruiser from a ramp and the parking brake on the Buick did not hold. They were able to retrieve the car, but they said it always smelled like a fish market afterward.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:56 PM

158 posts, read 156,601 times
Here is a funny boating skill
https://www.facebook.com/kinchellapi...59322274956273

Old 10-06-2021, 05:58 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would chock it up to inexperience with docking, launching and retrieving. It can be a stressful time because you want to do it right and not damage the boat or make a fool of yourself. It starts with backing the trailer down the ramp.
Starts with inexperience but frustration is easily fueled with booze. Think about being in the sun all day, then drinking a 6 pack and now you get to put the boat back on the trailer and go home.

There is a crazy ramp in Miami where its crowded, has a 10+ foot crocodile lurking around the docks and youtube guys film there all weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYU5pEiOxA

Old 10-08-2021, 02:17 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would chock it up to inexperience with docking, launching and retrieving. It can be a stressful time because you want to do it right and not damage the boat or make a fool of yourself. It starts with backing the trailer down the ramp. I used to go to a very busy ramp that attracted lots of watchers. There was one group that actually had cards like they do at the sporting matches and they would hold them up to score you. it was funny but I'm sure it was stressful for the guys that struggled.

I know a new captain that came in to the ramp too fast and bounced his new boat off the concrete hard enough it needed repairs.

I'd say that if people are getting stressed it is because they are getting outside their comfort zone and add in an inexperienced crew and it can get dodgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyk0MLrR12s

`

Old 10-08-2021, 10:27 PM

158 posts, read 156,601 times
Ah, old times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles