Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 07:22 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times

Advertisements

I try to make it a point to stop, or at least look for a signal that a rider needs assistance. Thumbs up/dn.

I don't know how many riders I've stopped for. Luckily, very few were injured (only 1 death.)

I stopped for some patch holders on Hwy 395, and asked if I could assist. Luckily, I had wire which was needed.

Being a CDL driver, there are times I can not legally stop for a rider.

How about you? Any stories to tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 05:10 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Uhm, in an urban environment, 0.0% That's what Roadside Assistance plans are for. I've called State Farm's twice in c. 18 years, once car, and once bike. Too many scumbags on the side of the road, with broken down crap that is barely roadworthy to begin with. Basically vagrants, bums, and winos on bikes. I'll pass on that.

99.99% of younger, well-coiffed riders on Ducks and similar have a cell phone in thier hand, when on the side of the road. If there's a problem, they're calling someone to help. Not my concern.

I haven't seen a broken-down, stranded looking rider in the desert or wilderness ride in years, I can't remember last time.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:31 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
After a very dicey experience with a hitchhiker in 1969, several reports of women waving down cars so their scumbag boyfriends could assault and rob the Good Samaritan, and the story from a fellow worker about the execution of his friend by escaped convicts he stopped to assist with their broken down car, I decided not to stop for anybody unless they were very old. If their daughter is with them and holding an infant in 90 degree sunshine, they get extra credit. Since there are not many very old motorcyclists, much less ones accompanied by a daughter holding an infant, I have never stopped for a “stranded” motorcyclist.

Last edited by nalabama; 09-07-2020 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-08-2020, 03:42 PM

554 posts, read 977,585 times
I think things are a bit different now, back in the old days (before eveyone had cell phones) I would stop for a fellow biker if they were on the side of the road. Back then it was the norm. Luckily now, in most cases we can just call for help. So, I don't stop unless it's a remote area where phones may not work or in cases where it is pretty obvious that someone needs help.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
When I was younger yeah but we’re talking different times. Cell phones didn’t exist and what did wasn’t a every day occurrence. But these days the only way I would stop is if it’s a wreck that just happened. To carry someone it would need to be a pretty dangerous life threatening circumstance say snow storm or 120* hear in the middle of a desert. The problem isn’t taking someone where it’s who is this person, what are they carrying on their person, who are they, For all you know you’re carrying modern day Ted Bundy or Aileen Wuornos. You can be a special forces soldier black belt in Kickyourzz-aikido and a 357 bullet will end you.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:22 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Wow. Certainly surprised at the responses so far.

TBH, I posted this very query on a Harley forum, and got the complete opposite reaction.

Color me puzzled...

Old 09-09-2020, 12:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Wow. Certainly surprised at the responses so far.

TBH, I posted this very query on a Harley forum, and got the complete opposite reaction.

Color me puzzled...
Unfortunately it’s a very different world than when I was young. I used to ride a GSXR 750 graduated to a 1100. Back in the day I would stop for people. Elderly, women with kids type. Not so much fir guys. Figured they can figure it out. You just felt safer. Unlike today... I never thought am I gonna get rolled if I stop. Held up? Shot! Robbed? Never entered my mind
These days....... YO-YO baby. Unless it’s just life threatening and I feel safe I’m not stopping. I will call the authorities if I have signal etc.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:29 AM

779 posts, read 506,813 times
I'm a rider and I don't stop in the age of the cell phone, but if I am way out in the toolies and see a stopped rider, then I will. There may be no phone service. But, in today's world, modern bikes seldom break down.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,207 times
I'll stop if it looks like I can help. I hardly ride anymore, so I'm usually in a small truck. I always get sent away. And I got all the tools and parts just down the road....

Seriously, most folks have already made a call, and help is on the way.

Old Joke: What is a Harley Tool Kit? A Ford Pickup and a ramp.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:03 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I ALWAYS stop and check on a stopped rider. Only once has someone needed help, but that made all the other checks worthwhile. Guy was an 81 prospect, trying to get to a meeting. Needed a run to town to pick up a replacement battery. Made a new friend, and a good contact with an MC. (oh, and I get to tell about the time I had an 81 riding ***** ).

If you don't stop and check on others, don't call yourself a motorcyclist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles