Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times

Advertisements

Try a Gold Wing. Many are put off by its size and weight but you will be surprised how nimble it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Try a Gold Wing. Many are put off by its size and weight but you will be surprised how nimble it is.
I personally have been around the newer GL1800 (some people have actually brought them out to track days for practice), but it seems the older ones weren't so nimble feeling. I haven't ridden one so I don't know from firsthand experience. What year/generation do YOU feel they started being more nimble? Just the 1800, or anything older?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:42 AM

371 posts, read 938,407 times
Quote:

Went to the NYC bike show on the 16th...The new Wing feels much lighter than my Venture and not near as top heavy...It weighs more too!!!

I want one really bad...lol

Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
AND how reliable it is and how fast it is compared to other big touring bikes.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Just had an opportunity to ride a Harley for the first time. Been on Honda sport bikes for 29 years and never thought I'd get hooked on anything else but ...WOW. What a sweet feeling. The bike I rode was a 2005 Night train 88 incher and it was nothing like I expected. The thing was way easier to ride than my current CB600F4 despite the fact that it weighs twice as much. Way less rider input required to get it's head pointed where ya want it. Since I'm getting a little older now this style of ride has a lot of appeal over the road rockets I've been on for so long. So...any one have thoughts on what the best bang for the buck is for a Harley or leaving the money issue out whats your favorite pick? Any stories to share or tech talk on bikes of any kind. Just looking to road rap as it were.
Congrats! Former sport bikers here too! (well more my fiance than myself LOL) but, we just bought an '09 HD Road King Classic and WOW!!! Sooo nice! We rented one first and went on a road trip from PA to CT came back and had to have one. He's so comfortable and such a change of pace and posture from the sport bike. I still like sport bikes but this one definitely is sweet.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
This is my experience too. I ride a Beemer and no Harley riders ever wave back to me, in AZ at least. On the east coast and even in CA I find everyone waves to everyone. In AZ the Harley guys are a different breed. All the sport bikes and even dirt bikes always wave back to me.
I dont know either way, we waved on the sport bike and now wave on the HD and either way, we got about the same amount of waves back which amounted to not a lot. We wave to all riders and hardly get anything in return. Kind of sucks because to me it's a wave of hey, we're all out riding enjoying life and good for you too but oh well.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Most people around here will wave back no matter what you or they are riding, unless the traffic is so heavy that it requires all of one's attention, which is often. There are a few who are just too cool to be bothered.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM

371 posts, read 938,407 times
If I cannot wave I at least do a big head nod...

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
If I cannot wave I at least do a big head nod...
Me too.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
I started riding again at the age of 50 in August '01. I looked around a little bit and sat on several manufacurers bikes but ended up at a BMW dealership one day and bought a BMW K1200LT (Luxury Touring) bike. I then put over 100,000 miles on 6 different beemers the next 6 years.

We started a Wednesday night ride-to-eat dinner club soon later and is still going strong after six years. Most of the folks I ride with have a stable of bikes and buy and sell regularly. Most own a BMW, a Harley and a Japanese bike. Kind of like having a car, pickup and a sports car, compared to riding.

All bikes are great. They are just ridden differently and for different reasons. That's all. It's all in how you were brought up or exposed to bikes as a beginning rider. And who you associate with and their perspective of riding too. Not to mention the state you live.

I'm bi-coastal right now and live in a helmet state (CA) and a non helmet state (ME). In ME, I get asked about my helmet use by several bikers and non bikers like my brothers who live there. The 4 basic questions to me are:....Isn't it hot under there? How can you hear anything? Isn't it hard to see? Aren't you worried that it will hurt you in an accident?.... It is not a safety issue with Mainers, it's a freedom issue.

As far as waving, I wave to scooters, bicyclists and farmers in the field. I'm for sure not going to leave out bikers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles