Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,041,815 times

Advertisements

I have been using some cheap foam kneepads from Wal-Mart for around 2 years under jeans and overalls. They have been easy to "slip into" and slide up, but the elastic straps are not all that strong and they need to be repositioned frequently. Better than nothing, but they leave a lot to be desired. Weight is .8 ounces per pad.

These $15 Turtles Kneepads (Lowe's garden department) have a harder molded foam and are a step up. The heavy duty straps are easy to adjust, attach, and detach. Weight is 3.2 ounces per pad.

For short scooter-motorcycle errand/commute applications . . if safety items are too much of a nuisance to put on, they tend NOT to get used. The velcro closures on Vega/Nitro Metro boots make them very easy to put on and take off.

The $65 Icon Field Armor Leg Guards (http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1980&id=7892 - broken link) would definitely offer superior protection, but the multiple attachment straps would be a bit of a nuisance for short errands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,096,778 times
A lot of riders do not realize that your hands and knees are THE most frequently damaged parts of your body in bike crashes and even a VERY minor wipeout usually injures one or the other.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,309,798 times
I prefer these, and they're very comfortable, and cheap at under $30

Viewing Images For Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards :: New Enough, LTD

Scooter/Motorcycle Knee Protection-default.jpg

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,849,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
A lot of riders do not realize that your hands and knees are THE most frequently damaged parts of your body in bike crashes and even a VERY minor wipeout usually injures one or the other.
Hands....oh yeah. I once saw a guy who crashed without gloves at freeway speeds. His hands were basically stumps...horrible...I can think of a LOT of other places I could be injured that wouldn't be as life-altering as losing the use of my hands.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
I have not seen many scooter riders wear one, but the Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, or one of the import knock-offs if you have to economize, provides good all-round protection and is not as hot as you might think, it's tolerable up to 80F anyway. And really works well in the 40F to 60F range. It includes knee, elbow, back, etc. protection. The OP's knee protectors are maybe better than nothing, but not really intended to stay in place if you fall off a bike.

The Roadcrafter is easy to get on or off in less than a minute. Once off, it's sort of a nuisance to find a place to put it, you can drape it over the bike, but what you really want is a heavy-duty coat hook or tree, if one is handy great, otherwise it's sort of a handful. But all-in-all I really like mine. I think it's worth the money.

Yeah, good gloves are a serious "must", dumb luck saved my hands back in the 70's when I started riding. Back then many of us rode bare-handed, didn't know any better.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Hands....oh yeah. I once saw a guy who crashed without gloves at freeway speeds. His hands were basically stumps...horrible...I can think of a LOT of other places I could be injured that wouldn't be as life-altering as losing the use of my hands.
I know what you mean...that would be awful.One of my uncles crashed last year...a dingbat young girl blew a stop sign while yapping on the cell and he had to drop his scooter to keep from hitting her...he was down to 20 or so by the time he hit the ground and was VERY lucky he had good gloves on and only broke his thumb instead of losing it altogether....his jacket was trashed (good cowhide) and his helmet had a gash in it,but the combo saved him some major trouble and possibly his life.Safety,Safety.Safety boys and girls....this crap happens in the blink of an eye and the results can be life changing or deadly unless you are prepared for it.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM

371 posts, read 939,214 times
I will admit to not wearing a leather jacket alot but dammit I ALWAYS have leather gloves on...Even the ones without the fingertips but I figure my palms are whats going to go down in reflex action to falling so they stay covered...Course a helmet and eye protection ALWAYS...Rode in Ct and SC with no helmet laws and tried it...ONCE!!! Did not like it one bit so on went the lid and stayed there ever since...

Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
I will admit to not wearing a leather jacket alot but dammit I ALWAYS have leather gloves on...Even the ones without the fingertips but I figure my palms are whats going to go down in reflex action to falling so they stay covered...Course a helmet and eye protection ALWAYS...Rode in Ct and SC with no helmet laws and tried it...ONCE!!! Did not like it one bit so on went the lid and stayed there ever since...
We do not have a helmet law here either and unfortunately I am stupid and do not wear one 99% of the time unless I'm on something that I intend to play hard with...I NEVER left the house without one on the ol'Vmax,but........I'm gonna do better this year,I promise.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,185,368 times
uhm, is there a question here, or are you just passing on info on alternative protective gear? i'm confused.

and not to sound self-righteous, but i'm a big believer in ATGATT. you can get creamed on the trip down to the corner market as easy as you can anywhere else.

Mike

Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
uhm, is there a question here, or are you just passing on info on alternative protective gear? i'm confused.

and not to sound self-righteous, but i'm a big believer in ATGATT. you can get creamed on the trip down to the corner market as easy as you can anywhere else.

Mike
It's about about gear Mike...just developing as it goes I guess.I'm a believer in that also,but I unfortunately am a bit hypocritical when it comes to myself sometimes....I preach it to others CONSTANTLY,but.....

And you can get creamed pulling out of your yard as I have seen it happen to some one leaving my driveway that hit a pothole at around 10 mph and ended up with several surgerys to repair her kneecap...She was a track record holder at the local dragstrip and knew how to ride for real.Defecation occurs at unexpected times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles