Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
I ride a sport bike and a dual sport. One of the nicest routes here in northeast PA is Rt. 6 (I do believe it has its own web site). It's not a technical road, but has lots of sweepers going up and down the Endless Mountains. It goes through some nice towns, and traffic lights and heavy traffic are not an issue.
Sounds cool, and have never had a chance to ride near the Poconos yet, let alone the backroads. Love the idea of a dual purpose bike, but dunno how much I'd actually use the extra capability (unless Triple A was willing to come out when I broke down! ).

BTW, a friend of mine recently returned from 'cycling around New Zealand on a rented BMW 650GS dual sport. Although he's mostly a street rider, he had a great time of course, but his more intrepid riding partner who lives there, apparently had a habit of sometimes going off on his own and "exploring", guided only by his GPS. Anyway, after they became disconnected for over a day, came to find out the partner had wandered onto the gated property of a private sheep ranch (which can be thousands of acres in NZ), but where the gate closes automatically every evening between 6PM and 6AM (and there's no cellphone reception).... I heard it was a pretty chilly night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 AM

371 posts, read 938,476 times
Touring man here with a Princess that likes the Princess seat
2001 Yamaha Venture...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Touring man here with a Princess that likes the Princess seat
2001 Yamaha Venture...
Red where you @ in NY? I'm in Orange County. If you are near by. Lets meet up for a ride. I've been hitting the Catskills the past couple of weeks.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

I'm down Eastern LI...
You know...Lawn Guyland...lol

Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So what kind of riders do we have represented here... touring, commuting, sport-bikes, cruisers, dual-sport, off-road, groups, etc..... ? And what's a good ride near where you live?

Here in NorCal, lotsa great roads, but probably the most popular locally is Hwy 36 between Red Bluff and the coast over the Trinity Alps. Am mostly a sport-touring type myself (prefer comfort for the long hauls, with some occasional "throttle therapy" thru the twisties). MotoRides.com : Ride Map
suzuki bandit 1200, I like sport touring but lately just commuting to work

Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i road this into a harley shop in little italy awhile back. usually wear a beanie and shorts.
told them i was considering trading up. brought down the house.
wait a second.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
I'm down Eastern LI...
You know...Lawn Guyland...lol
Ohhh. Hmm. Well if your ever up in these parts shoot me a PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Ohhh. Hmm. Well if your ever up in these parts shoot me a PM.
You got it...

Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,797 times
What trips do people have planned for the riding season.

I'm hoping to make at least one rally. I also would like to ride up to my dad's place on the border of NY and PA on Lake Erie. I would love the ride the countryside around his place. It's grape country up there and lots of wooded areas and hills. It's about 400 miles from here and I'd love to stay a week or so and ride around.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Too funny! I'm a frequent poster on CD, but found this thread on a google search!

I have only been a passenger on motorcycles, (many times, but it has been years...) Lately I have been thinking about learning to ride.
The local community college offers lessons, but I have no idea what kind of bike to start out with.

All I want is something big enough so I won't get blown over by a semi going by; but small enough that I can handle it.
Everything I have ever been on as a passenger was huge (IMO).

Size and brand (?) suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. And I promise to stay off the big roads until I'm no longer a danger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles