Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how I can find out the legal age, weight etc.. for a child that rides a four wheeler. I would also like to know if they are only supposed to ride them in specific areas, meaning dirt tracks somewhere or can they ride them just anywhere? I'm assuming it's state specific and maybe even town specific but searching on the internet I haven't had luck. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If your kid is riding off road, on your own land, on your 4-wheeler, at least in South Carolina, I would think it's your business and no one else's - am I missing the point?

Now if the kid goes on someone else's land it would probably be trespassing, and of course they can't ride on a public road. If you have "noise parks" where kids ride dirt bikes, they will have their own rules but this is, I think, up to the track owner.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks but I'm looking for the laws in SC and/or a web site I can reference.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Sounds like SC doesn't have their ORV or updated ATV or multi-purpose vehicle statutes available on-line.

In a very general sense, the Feds have recently mandated that the ATV or utility vehicles all be categorized as a new motor vehicle category, separated from motorcycles. The states have been responding with new definitions and statutes to comply with this, and they specify weights, sizes, etc. For example, in Wyoming, we now have to get a motor vehicle title with all new ATV purchases ... and some may qualify for street licensing and insurance requirements. But all get titled, which helps a lot with tracing vehicles and owner responsibility issues in case of accidents.

I'll bet your local DMV will know the relevant statutes and where to get a copy of them, or your local sheriff's dept. They're the folks that have to enforce the laws about the operations of these vehicles ....

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM

ok, thanks. I'll give them a call.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,564 times
Do you have to have an operators license to ride a 4 wheeler in the State of Indiana?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
By Indiana law, a person must be at least 14 years old to ride an ATV unsupervised.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
You might be a Red Neck if you call an ATV a.....4 wheeler....hahaa

Of subject alittle, but KIDS and ATVs....
I took my kids to the ATV Safety Class, it was free with new ATV purchase.
Class was Excellent, Kids learned a lot.
They explain why it is unsafe to ride double and many other issues ...

Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Does anyone know how I can find out the legal age, weight etc.. for a child that rides a four wheeler. I would also like to know if they are only supposed to ride them in specific areas, meaning dirt tracks somewhere or can they ride them just anywhere? I'm assuming it's state specific and maybe even town specific but searching on the internet I haven't had luck. Thanks.
You can certainly try a state web site or your local DMV office, they SHOULD know the rules on ATVs. Sadly, many do not. You might be better off contacting a local ATV club, you may find people that are more knowledgable on the issue, or that can point you to someone that is. This might help: http://www.atvsource.com/clubs/state/south-carolina.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles