Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

I was once traveling with a friend, who had inherited a block of HOG stock, and was wondering what to do with it. So she would stop and ask serious bikers about Harley. Most of them replied that they didn't like Harley, because the company was dedicating too much effort to marketing and not enough to R&D, and were no longer making a very good machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was once traveling with a friend, who had inherited a block of HOG stock, and was wondering what to do with it. So she would stop and ask serious bikers about Harley. Most of them replied that they didn't like Harley, because the company was dedicating too much effort to marketing and not enough to R&D, and were no longer making a very good machine.
Were thy wearing loafers, and double knits???

Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Were thy wearing loafers, and double knits???
I hope so. People dressed like that probably use their bike intelligently as a tool for transportation, and not as a toy to show off in Sturgis while scratching their beer-belly, and would be concerned about whether it's a good value for the intended purpose.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I hope so. People dressed like that probably use their bike as a tool for transportation, and not as a toy to show off in Sturgis, and would be concerned about how good it is for the intended purpose.
Bikes ain't tools. Toyotas are Tools. Bikes are like Speed boats, or sail boats. they are for fun and frolic. They make a Mans heart beat faster, and Gals moisten their undies.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Bikes ain't tools. Toyotas are Tools. Bikes are like Speed boats, or sail boats. they are for fun and frolic. They make a Mans heart beat faster, and Gals moisten their undies.
Well, then you don't care if its a technological and mechanical POS or not, do you? As long as it has a bling logo on it.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Well, then you don't care if its a technological and mechanical POS or not, do you? As long as it has a bling logo on it.
that is why one needs more than one bike. Each has it's place. but for a Saturday night or raisin the roof, I'll take a loud rude Harley every time. It's just the Pirate in me. what can I say?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
that is why one needs more than one bike. Each has it's place. but for a Saturday night or raisin the roof, I'll take a loud rude Harley every time. It's just the Pirate in me. what can I say?
It's your money. Spend it on whatever you want.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
It's your money. Spend it on whatever you want.
Capitalism, ya got to love it. Be well.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
I bought my first Harley when I was 13. It was a two stroke 175cc single new in 1960 for less than $500. I rode that for a year then bought a 1960 Triumph 200 Scrambler. During college a few Beezers, Royal Enfields, Matchless and a few *** bikes kept me moving on two wheels. After college I bought a new Sportster in 1969. That is when I discovered what you could do to tweak a Sportster 900. Speed was my addiction. S&S flywheels, Dytch barrels, Sifton cams, Branch heads, a modified magneto and various carb combos turned a stock 900 into a real fire breathing piece of machinery. There are two weak spots in the Sportsters when you double the horsepower. Chains break and tranny cases crack. An engine builder redid my cases for me and after that all I ever broke were chains. I would rering it every month whether it needed it or not (it probably didn't). I rode the *** bikes when the temperature dropped below 40 degrees. Kick starting a 77 inch Sportster in cold weather is an exercise in frustration LOL. When I went out of town I always carried an extra set of spark plugs and a chain. I replaced every bolt on the bike with aircraft Allen head bolts. I could do a top end job along side the highway with my tool kit that fit in a kids lunch pail. I loved that Sportster and when a thief stole it I was so pissed I would have strangled him if I caught him. Everything I learned from building the 1969 XLCH I did to my new 1970 as soon as I got it. I rode the 1970 until 1978 when I finally got tired of having to kick start it. My old Stroked and bored Sportsters would turn a quarter in less than 12 seconds but that is slow compared to some of the stuff out there today. However I will guarantee you a twelve second ride on a Sportster is a heckuva lot more thrilling than it is on a crotch rocket. Knowing how to twist a few wrenches was a necessary skill on the older Harleys. I ride machines now that have electric starters etc. I couldn't tear down and put my Kawasaki back together even in my well equipped shop. But since I ride like an old man ( hell I am an old man) there isn't any need for it.

GL2

Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I bought my first Harley when I was 13. It was a two stroke 175cc single new in 1960 for less than $500. I rode that for a year then bought a 1960 Triumph 200 Scrambler. During college a few Beezers, Royal Enfields, Matchless and a few *** bikes kept me moving on two wheels. After college I bought a new Sportster in 1969. That is when I discovered what you could do to tweak a Sportster 900. Speed was my addiction. S&S flywheels, Dytch barrels, Sifton cams, Branch heads, a modified magneto and various carb combos turned a stock 900 into a real fire breathing piece of machinery. There are two weak spots in the Sportsters when you double the horsepower. Chains break and tranny cases crack. An engine builder redid my cases for me and after that all I ever broke were chains. I would rering it every month whether it needed it or not (it probably didn't). I rode the *** bikes when the temperature dropped below 40 degrees. Kick starting a 77 inch Sportster in cold weather is an exercise in frustration LOL. When I went out of town I always carried an extra set of spark plugs and a chain. I replaced every bolt on the bike with aircraft Allen head bolts. I could do a top end job along side the highway with my tool kit that fit in a kids lunch pail. I loved that Sportster and when a thief stole it I was so pissed I would have strangled him if I caught him. Everything I learned from building the 1969 XLCH I did to my new 1970 as soon as I got it. I rode the 1970 until 1978 when I finally got tired of having to kick start it. My old Stroked and bored Sportsters would turn a quarter in less than 12 seconds but that is slow compared to some of the stuff out there today. However I will guarantee you a twelve second ride on a Sportster is a heckuva lot more thrilling than it is on a crotch rocket. Knowing how to twist a few wrenches was a necessary skill on the older Harleys. I ride machines now that have electric starters etc. I couldn't tear down and put my Kawasaki back together even in my well equipped shop. But since I ride like an old man ( hell I am an old man) there isn't any need for it.

GL2
Now yer talkin my Language Bro---get them bugs in yer teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles