Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

A bicycle is dangerous in traffic because it can't keep us, excepting of course dedicated bike lanes. I think a motorcycle is safer in traffic.

You'd probably be surprised to find out how cold 50 degrees is on a motorcycle on the highway. If you're willing to put up with the wind chill, do it! I used to freeze my posterior off riding from Denton to Dallas, about 35 miles, in temps in the 30s. I shiver thinking about it.

If that makes me a wimp, so be it. I recall a sentence from a letter to the editor of a cycle magazine: "I gave up my membership in the manhood-through-suffering club a long time ago". That sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Actually if you invest in an Aerostitch suit, good gloves, good boots, 50 or even 40 can be not only OK but actually comfortable, and that on a "naked" bike. If you get "all the gear" and find yourself a good older Gold Wing, you are good to go down to temperatures that I don't think riding a bike makes any sense.

That said when it's cold enough for ice to form on the road, I don't ride a bike. That's just my personal "comfort zone".

OP, you can definitely find a lot of older small cars down in Dixie, shop around and see what you like. I am partial to older VW cars, they tend to have more niggling problems than Japanese cars, but also are cheaper and easier to fix. When stuff goes wrong on old Japanese cars it's tends to be more catastrophic. I have old Japanease too, compare doing a head gasket R&R on the 82 Scirocco to the 87 Camry - The "valve grind" gasket set for the Camry will set you back more than having a shop do the 'roc for you. But at the same time the Camry will "stay fixed" for more miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles