Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 PM

177 posts, read 471,269 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see the movie?

Did you think it seemed a bit for those who grew up with Toy Story rather than for the appeal to kids. The theme was a bit mature I thought for kids. Its whole play was based on growing up and watching kids grow up. Dont get me wrong, I loved it and I wouldnt stop my child from seeing it. I just realized how so many parents in the theatre were crying over the movie because they grew up with the characters and realized how old they were. If I were 8, i think I would be disappointed with the story this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post

Did you think it seemed a bit for those who grew up with Toy Story rather than for the appeal to kids. The theme was a bit mature I thought for kids. Its whole play was based on growing up and watching kids grow up. Dont get me wrong, I loved it and I wouldnt stop my child from seeing it. I just realized how so many parents in the theatre were crying over the movie because they grew up with the characters and realized how old they were. If I were 8, i think I would be disappointed with the story this time.
I have seen it twice already. And yes, I think it appealed more to the audience of kids that was there 15 years ago (myself) and has since graduated and gone to college. It was obviously much more mature in the sense that it dealed with the threat of death, and abandonment *****SPOILER**** where Lotso explains his motives and his hatred of kids, the incinerator scene, and where they all held hands in the event that they will go out as a family in the fire but they escape by help of "The Claw". But when I saw this the first time yesterday I cried when Andy gave over his toys (especially Woody) to little Bonnie.

So yes, it appealed more to teenagers and older for a kids movie.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
I loved it!

I saw it with my girlfriend on "opening night."

I think it more for the kids who were around when "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" came out. I think if you were not around when the first two came out or hadn't seen them, you would be somewhat dissapointed.

I saw one couple there without their kids (assuming they have kids).

My girlfriend thought the ending was said. I thought it was kind of cute
Spoiler
when Andy and Bonnie played together at the end. It was like Andy was a little kid all over again. I am glad Woody suggested Andy donate the toys to Bonnie.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Very nice review

The Simple Pleasure of 'Toy Story 3' - Culture - The Atlantic

Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I loved it!

I saw it with my girlfriend on "opening night."

I think it more for the kids who were around when "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" came out. I think if you were not around when the first two came out or hadn't seen them, you would be somewhat dissapointed.

I saw one couple there without their kids (assuming they have kids).

My girlfriend thought the ending was said. I thought it was kind of cute
Purple, that ending was my favorite part--I just loved it, and I thought the dialogue was *very* well done.

I loved the noirish Chatter Telephone segment, too.

I also agree that this movie was more for the kids who were in on Toy Story 1 and 2, but it certainly did not diminish my pleasure, or my 12 year old nephew's.

edited to add:
It was so cool that Totoro was there! This was a great opportunity for me to turn my nephew on to *that* movie, which I love.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 06-21-2010 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
I didn't see the movie, but my husband took my son to see it. The only complaint they had is that it was just way too long. My 5 year old just doesn't have the attention span to sit through a movie for almost 2 hours.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
This had a 99% positive review on Rotten tomatoes. That's like the best I have ever seen a movie get for a review on RT

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
This had a 99% positive review on Rotten tomatoes. That's like the best I have ever seen a movie get for a review on RT
Me too!! Thats almost unheard of on that site.

I also heard tissues are required with viewing.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM

158 posts, read 604,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I didn't see the movie, but my husband took my son to see it. The only complaint they had is that it was just way too long. My 5 year old just doesn't have the attention span to sit through a movie for almost 2 hours.
Your son is probably an exception. My 4 year old sat through it just fine, as well as other 3 and 4 year olds that I know of.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM

137 posts, read 170,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post

Up's main emotional hook was about a miscarriage and the feeling of regret when we age.

Pixar is brilliant because they are able to make films that appeal to children while still having incredibly mature stories.

Also, did anyone else notice the heavy-handed homage to "Cool Hand Luke"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies