Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:51 PM

615 posts, read 856,523 times

Advertisements

I use Netflix the most. I love that instant streaming too.

We have a Redbox just one block away, so sometimes I'll go there if there is a movie I just can't wait to see, and if it's not on instant streaming on Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Now that my favorite shows have ended for the season I have nothing to watch. I was in Wal-mart the other day and decided to give the Redbox a try. I really like it. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and there's a machine right at the 7-11 by my house so I didn't even have to go out of my way to return it.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
i hate em both... it ruins the movie renting business. i go to a local place by my house 88 video.. Been in business for twenty years... Sadly these small businesses are losing money cuz of these stupid redboxes and netflix
Yep. Video stores are on their way out, sad but true. We're moving into a new era. Video stores will be talked about in 10 years like arcades. Just relics of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm surprised Blockbuster isn't closed yet. The ones here in Texas be dead and empty.
My town used to have Hollywood Video, Blockbuster Video, and Movie Gallery. They're ALL gone now. A good mom & pop establishment that had new releases for only $2.00 just closed down too. I called them while I was at work, because I wasn't able to go to their "out-of-business" sale that afternoon and they agreed to hold a certain video for me, and they also let me come in after midnight to pick it up. I knocked on the door and they unlocked it for me. And they also let me pick over what was left of their selection, which wasn't much. That was nice of them.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Owning DVDs is very Old School. The truth is, how many movies are even worth viewing a second time, now that there are hundreds of thousands of titles available online for instant viewing?

I was an early believer in Redbox, joining when the first machine appeared in my neighborhood. A coupla years later I rarely use them, because I've had soooooo many bad experiences getting filthy, scratched discs that would not play (and you can't get a refund, only a credit). But the third time they charged me for the purchase price of a disc I had returned (twice their research after I called them proved I was right) overdrafted the account I had rented it on and I pretty much gave up on them.

My experience with Netflix, however, has been flawless. And they now have a great "instant viewing only" plan for $8/month that doesn't involve discs at all. It's the wave of the future in my book.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
i don't think its a matter of either/or, i think its what you want to watch that makes the difference. if you are one of those new movie types, it doesn't make any sense to have a netflix account. everything you want to see is gonna be at a Redbox. but if you are like me and maybe see one or two films per year, and want to be able to watch a wide variety of obscure films, many of them online, netflix is the only way to go.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I use Netflix to both rent and stream. Mostly tv series that have ended or are on a premium channel that I don't get. I also use Redbox very occasionally if there is a movie I have to have that day for whatever reason and I'm serious, they send me a free rental code via text to my cell phone at least 2x a month so I never pay anything.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I use Netflix to both rent and stream. Mostly tv series that have ended or are on a premium channel that I don't get. I also use Redbox very occasionally if there is a movie I have to have that day for whatever reason and I'm serious, they send me a free rental code via text to my cell phone at least 2x a month so I never pay anything.

I want a free code too?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Im pretty content with Netflix, at 9.00 a month I can have unlimited movies and not worry about having to return the dvds the next day. That flat rate lets me rent 3 a month, or 10 a month, whatever, and send it back whenever. No late charges.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Netflix -- for old and niche films on a truly epic scale of variety it's the only alternative to buying.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
I'm still using blockbuster by mail, our store hasn't closed, all the other small outfits have. I haven't tried Netflix or Redbox rentals, I'll have to go to there site sometime to see prices.

I like BBC, do Netlfix and Redbox have BBC Movies & the older BBC series?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies