Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 PM

222 posts, read 419,499 times

Advertisements

I remember being around 15 years old (mid 80's) and one of my best friends and I wanted to rent A Clockwork Orange. I think it was a combination of needing a parent to rent the movie and we didn't want to watch it with parents around, so we got our 20 year old neighbor to rent it and then the three of us took a city bus to the college he attended because he reserved a classroom with a vcr so we could all watch it. That was the only time I've taken a city bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM

938 posts, read 1,228,891 times
Default Goldfinger

It's 1964 and James Bond opens it 3rd spy flick at the Boyd in Philadelphia. Goldfinger was a tough movie to get tickets for but just the look on Odd Jobs face when he reached for his hat stuck in the bars made it worthwhile. If that scene wasn't the coolest then the hat toss scene had to be. Revisit and catch the expression on Bond's face when Odd job flips the hat -- pretty entertaining.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
My first job I sold popcorn at the theatre, so have lots of movie memories. Popcorn was $.35 a box, a drink .15....OMG I am so old. Tickets were $1.25!

Panic in Needle Park....first film for Al Pacino! Even then he was awesome! (and really young)

Billy Jack, personal cult favorite from the 70's

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.....I was only 16, so learned a lot

When I was even younger, my mom and my best friend and her mom saw The Sound of Music-it was quite a hit back then.

Love Story....my first tear jerker....

Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Default First Movie rising emotions

"Old Yeller" - Walt Disney Film. Need I say more - cracked a tear in 1957 at this one.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 AM

Default Wunderbar ist der welt

I remember in 1968 when stationed in Seckenheim Germany a city outside Heidelberg Germany seeing a Movie starring the Bill Black Combo and featuring a song performed by them called "Wunderbar ist der welt" popularly done by Louis Armstrong and more well known as "Wonderful is the World". My Girlfriends name was Ursula and her nickname was "Uschi" pronounced "oooh-she" and her girlfriends were Sylvia and Edeltraut.

Last edited by Norm Barnes; 04-23-2011 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Correction

Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I remember listening to the Grease and Saturday Night Fever soundtracks with my girlfriends, and singing along with every song, on the way to Ocean City, Maryland in the Summer of 1978.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 AM

Default Ushers & More

How about Movie Ushers showing you to your seat. A curtain that pulled back on the stage alerting you to the fact the movie would soon start. The Erlanger theater, one of the most extraordinary in Philadelphia, served drinks in the lobby during a theater event and at intermission -- gave it a social atmospere. All these things gone in our progress. When I tell my son of these things he says he would have loved to have lived during those times. They were good times weren't they.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
"THE THREE STOOGES" made it big for a while. I remember seeing "ROY ROGERS MEETS THE THREE STOOGES" in a theatre. Think I was about 8 or 9 back then. I thought the Three Stooges were funny, but my mother said they were stupid. Dean Martin and Jerry Louis were big for a while. Names like Bob Hope, Phyillis Diller, Jacky Gleason, Jack Benny, Alan King, Groucho Marx, Joey Bishop, Pat Paulson, and Red Skeleton. "Live television" really was LIVE back then. They didn't have a few seconds delay for censorship of unacceptable remarks. The Red Skeleton Show went blank a few times because of that.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM

My mother too..woop,woop,woop,woop

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Drive-ins

I remember drive-ins also known as "Passion pits". What happens at the MacDade Drive-in stays at the MacDade Drive-in.

Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies