Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

I just watched most of it and I wouldn't say it is Lynch's best. It is probably one of his worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
I first saw Lynch's Inland Empire when it first hit theaters in Spring 2007, and recently re-watched this again.

I have seen all of Lynch's films. And, even after a second viewing - IE is definitely Lynch's densest & most incomprehensible movie. Essentially, the whole film just seemed like one big mind-f$#%, without any kind of rhyme or reason to connect anything together.

The only things I really "got" from this was the following:

The Laura Dern & Justin Theroux characters were an actress/actor on a film set, and off the set they were having an affair. LD's husband (in "real life") warned off the JT character from seeing his wife.

There were a couple of scenes that appeared to take place in Poland?!

There was a Hollywood street scene that showed the LD character getting stabbed by a fellow?! prostitute, and then slowly dying on the street - however, this didn't "really" happen & was actually part of a film, given that at the end of the scene, you saw a film crew panning back from the scene & LD slowly stirring. It also seems that the character LD was playing here was not the same character she was playing in the scenes she had with JT.

The final scene was the most bizarre - it took place in the drawing room?! of an old house, with women just walking around in a daze. Was this supposed to be hell?! Purgatory?!

The film had several seemingly unconnected dance sequences - including the final scene in the film.

I suspect that if I watch the film a 3rd time it won't make any more sense.

That all being said, as with much of Lynch's work I found this a fascinating viewing experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies