Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times

Advertisements

There might already exist a thread like this, but leafing through the pages I could not immediately find a similar one, so here we go:

What are the movies you can watch over and over again? Not just in a limited period of time (you know, you watch a movie fifteen times in a row and then all of sudden you cannot look at it anymore for the rest of your days) but through the years? The movies that you rewatch every now and again, even if you have seen them a gazillion times before? I'm curious to find out about your lists .

Well, here's my little list:

- Heat
- Falling Down
- Inception
- The Matrix
- Twilight
- The Thin Red Line
- Batman Begins
- The Rock
- Boyz 'N The Hood
- Blade Runner
- The Rock
- Beauty and the Beast
- Traffic
- Stardust
- Wall-E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
I can't help but watch "The Sound Of Music" whenever it comes on.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Default The Big Lebowski!

And...

The Hitcher (80's one)
Blade Runner
Airplane
Kickboxer (Yes JCVD himself)

And an independent film called Klepto by Magnolia pictures.

A divers mix of films I know....

Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 PM

120 posts, read 313,237 times
African Queen

True Grit

Fargo

Any movie with Morgan Freeman

Any movie with Peter O'toole

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

M*A*S*H

Easy Rider

Grumpy Old Men

Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
The Godfather I & II

Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
What are the movies you can watch over and over again?
Just about all of the classic Kung Fu theater movies.
Master Killer
Five Deadly Venoms
Master of The Flying Guillotine
Invincible Pole Fighter
Shaolin Revenge
Deep Inside Alexis Texas
Pulp Fiction
Bambi (there is just something magical about this movie)
Matrix
The Killer (John Woo film)
Hard Boiled (John Woo film)
Scarface
South Park, Bigger, Longer and Uncut
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Godzilla vs. King Ghidira
War of the Gargantuas
When We Were Kings (documentary of the Muhammad Ali vs. George Forman fight).

Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Older:
Rear Window
Psycho
Rope
Dial M for Murder
Gone with the Wind
Dr. Zhivago
The Wizard of Oz

More contemporary:
Traffic
LA Confidential
The Birdcage
Fargo
Best in Show
Baghdad Cafe
Murder by Numbers
Saving Private Ryan
John Adams

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-31-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM

120 posts, read 313,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Just about all of the classic Kung Fu theater movies.
Oh man, I loved Kung Fu Theater. It used to come on every Sunday afternoon.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Some of the movies I watch over and over for pure entertainment:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Lonesome Dove series
The Man Who Would Be King
Kickboxer ()
Gladiator
Brave Heart
Fiddler on the Roof
Anne of Green Gables and Tales from Avonlea series (popcorn nights bonding with the kids)
Sound of Music
Hello Dolly
Funny Girl
Funny Lady
The Mark of Zorro (and its sequels)
The Man in the Iron Mask (D'Artagnan (Gabriel Byrne): "Anne, to love you is treason against France. But not to love you is treason against my heart." *swoon* yup! hopeless romantic...

Then some of the movies for serious viewing:
Jesus of Nazareth
Schindler's List
Sobibor
The Hiding Place
Something the Lord Made
The Pianist

Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
I'm new to this forum section, to tell y'all the truth, I don't think I've noticed it before! (Which is probably a bad thing for a moderator to admit, hehe)

I can get somewhat passionate about movies though, and I do certainly have some favorites that never get old.

Heat - This movie never gets old to me. The intense way it appears to realistically portray professional thieves, so well in fact that life has imitated "art", many who's been arrested for bank robberies have admitted to this being a source of "inspiration". ...Don't know what that says about me, easily one of my favorites.
Key part: Hands down best downtown shootout scene captured on film and probably the most intense and "magic" conversation I've witnessed (Diner scene), two giants of film making, both known for their individual styles almost competing for the attention.

Pulp Fiction - And I will stike down upon the with great vengeance and furious anger! How can I not love the only movie (or other influence) that ever drove me to learn a bible verse by heart, hehehe. The way it's put together, the absolutely epic capture of it's time, it's exaggerated characters... everything about this movie, truly appeals to me.
Key parts: Zed's dead baby, Zeds Dead, not to mention the Wolf, Brett and his burger, The overdose... I could go on.

Love Actually - Girly? Check, Over the top? Check, Love it? Indeed! This, to me, is the ultimate Christmas movie (I know that might be a controversial statement), it captures so much of the season, the people, love, sorrow, laughter. I watch it every single Christmas, and sometimes in between. I'll never stop.
Key Parts: I know this will strip me of my man card, but the wedding is pretty damn nifty. The prime ministers speech at the end of the American presidents visit appeals strongly to the European in me , and frankly, the way it's put together just works.

Almost Famous - I don't even know how to go about explaining how I feel about this movie. It makes me infinitely sad, truly glad, laugh, cry at times, but maybe most of all, a little disappointed that I wasn't there.
Key Parts: This is one of those movies where it's hard for me to pick out favorite parts, just because I love every second of it, but just like
Dave Grohl, I can't help but remember the bus scene. The music in general though, helps make this movie and the plane scenes culmination is pretty great.

Army of Darkness - Kind of speaks for itself this one... This is my BOOMSTICK!
Key Parts: Bruce Campbell.

Garden State - A naive, funny and maybe a little exaggerated tale of the interaction between people and the connections one make, and maybe most of all, life in all it's faulty, messy, beautiful confusion.
Key Parts: Hands down most epic scene for me is Natalie Portmans tap dance next to the fireplace, and the scene leading up to it and frankly, the music is something else.

Into The Wild - The movie elegantly captures the story from the book, which I get the feeling, caught Chris McCandless' soul 100%. This movie captures the achy restlessness I think many people feel in parts of their life, I know I have it in me.
Key Parts: I know many would bring up the old man, but to me the slabs and the girl was pretty special, but maybe most of all...: "Happiness only real when shared".

I know there's plenty of others that I've seen many a time, but that's the ones that immediately came to me when I began reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies