Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,012,761 times

Advertisements

The Exorcist is one of the worst horror movies.

I actually really liked Rosemary's Baby. Interview with the Vampire was great and it has a few scares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
scariest:
- The Exorcist
- The Shining
- The Omen
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Psycho
- Misery
- The Strangers

favorites (not scary really):
-
Zombieland
- Shaun of the Dead
- Spoorloos (The Vanishing... not the American one)
- Saw series
- Halloween
- The Body Snatchers (70's version)
- Interview with a Vampire

Worst horror movies of all time:
- Paranormal Activity 1 and 2
- The Vanishing (American version)
- Silent Hill
- The Unborn
- Rosemary's Baby

Old horror movies that were good in there time, but didn't hold up well (look aged / outdated):
-
Poltergeist
- Amytiville Horror
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- The Thing
- Night of the Living Dead

And a little unknown movie that was good and you can stream on netflix... not too scary: Lake Mungo (2009)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,201 times
Movies are good source of entertainment. I like to watch horror movies. Case 39 is my favorite horror movie. Other than this, i like to watch SAW series.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM

667 posts, read 1,747,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
My favorite horror movies are also some of the scariest:

Hellraiser 1-4

NightBreed

Candyman 1-2

Angelheart

Serpent and The Rainbow

Chronicle of The Raven
Candyman was soooo creepy to me. When I was a youngin' I remember most horror flicks were not as scary to me because many of them had a more suburban backdrop (The Shining, Amytiville, Hell Raiser, etc). I sort of felt these crazy guys couldn't hang in some parts of Brooklyn...But Candyman reminded me of a local drug thug around my neighborhood that looked just like the guy! --To be honest I still refuse to look at a mirror and repeat the words.

Cyclone's list is pretty good although I would add one other classic to the favorites (not so scary) category:

Young Frankestein!

Also, while not creepy, I'm a sucker for the Final Destination movies.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 AM

454 posts, read 795,459 times
Really good scares & chills: "Salem's Lot", "Fright Night", John Carpenter's "Vampires"

Absolutely terrified me: Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula"....

So frightening I was not able to watch entire film: "Hellraiser" ... that horrific image of the Butterball and Chatterer cenobite things almost gave me heart failure!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,166,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
There's The Exorcist, and everything else. Everything it lacks in CGI special effects, it makes up for in an assault on your psyche and inner most fears. The overall mood of the film is just plain ole dark-it's set in an historic Georgetown neighborhood in late fall. There's the back stories of Damien Karras' guilt over losing his mother, and losing his faith in God. There's the trauma that Regan endures from an estranged father that ignores her birthday. (Howard was his name, Captain Howdy, anyone?).
I know some will say that it is dated, but I think of it as a film masterpiece that has to be considered as a Top 100 American film. If they remade the movie today, I highly doubt they could recapture the mood, darkness and despair of the original. It's just that good.
This movie was a huge part of my teen years! My friend and I were a little obsessed with it and we still have our scrapbooks and movie stills from it.
I even wrote to William Peter Blatty and have received a handwritten letter from him that was quite lengthy. Like I said - a big part of my life back then.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,490,218 times
I just watched a little-known movie that really creeped me out. Not tremendously scary in terms of gore or supernatural, but very very disturbing and with one hell of a twist at the end: The Perfect Host with David Hyde Pierce (yep, the guy from Frasier). Seriously, if you want your mind blown a tad this week, rent this one.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 PM

42 posts, read 139,629 times
What about Willard and Ben, they gave you a new respect for rats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies