Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times

Advertisements

Alright, we know both of these guys are true visionaries. But let's be honest, both of these directors lack on some aspects. Gondry on one hand, hasn't filmed any decent movie since The Science of Sleep and Jonze, well, he doesn't seem to film too many.

But what I find most interesting is that to me, Gondry seems to have a more creative vision and this is pretty evident in his music videos. Although, I feel that he can easily be dissuaded when the film isn't left entirely to his creativity and that's where I think Gondry fails. I mean, The Green Hornet? Really? Who's idea was it? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised Seth Rogen had a lot to do with it. 3D? Yuck! I'm not watching it, sorry.

Jonze? Well, I mean, "Being John Malkovich", "Adaptation" and "Where the Wild Things Are" is a pretty damn good list to his credit! I just feel that overall, Gondry is better as a music video director than Jonze and Jonze is better by an inch as a film director.

Let's put their best works side by side.
films:
Eternal Sunshine... vs Being John Malkovich: winner Being John Malkovich at the buzzer!
The Science of Sleep vs Where the Wild Things Are: toughie! I'm going with Where the Wild things Are in a decisive game 7.

music videos:
Radiohead's "Knives Out" (Gondry) vs Fatboy Slim "Praise You" (Jonze): easy, knives out
Daft Punk "Around the World" (Gondry) vs Beastie Boys Sabotage (Jonze): easy... Around the World

What's your take on this matchup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:52 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
-Eternal Sunshine... vs. Being John Malkovich: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind always makes it to my Top 50, so no contest. It was a wonderful surprise the first time I saw it and I love nearly every aspect of it. Kate Winslet's character (oh my darling Clementine... ) is all-consuming and irritating and yet beautiful and fascinating at the same time. Being John Malkovich is great, but I've never enjoyed it on so many levels.
-The Science of Sleep vs. Where the Wild Things Are: Both very nice. I'm undecided.
-Knives Out (Gondry) vs. Praise You (Jonze): Knives Out. And such a good song, too.
-Around the World (Gondry) vs. Sabotage (Jonze): I love both, but I think Around the World is a better and more creative video.

Matchup aside, I can't decide between Gondry and Jonze. Both have an enormous talent, and both strike me as somewhat irregular.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
-Eternal Sunshine... vs. Being John Malkovich: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind always makes it to my Top 50, so no contest. It was a wonderful surprise the first time I saw it and I love nearly every aspect of it. Kate Winslet's character (oh my darling Clementine... ) is all-consuming and irritating and yet beautiful and fascinating at the same time. Being John Malkovich is great, but I've never enjoyed it on so many levels.
-The Science of Sleep vs. Where the Wild Things Are: Both very nice. I'm undecided.
-Knives Out (Gondry) vs. Praise You (Jonze): Knives Out. And such a good song, too.
-Around the World (Gondry) vs. Sabotage (Jonze): I love both, but I think Around the World is a better and more creative video.

Matchup aside, I can't decide between Gondry and Jonze. Both have an enormous talent, and both strike me as somewhat irregular.
So I take it you pick Michel Gondry as your favorite?

I really like Eternal Sunshine... but man, just the creativity on Being John Malkovich and I'm not just talking visually here, really pushes the boundaries of storytelling and I feel maybe its Charlie Kauffman who deserves most of the credit here. But to me I feel that Being John Malkovich just gives me that feeling where I know I can watch 10 or 20 years from now and I will not get tired of it. I think Eternal Sunshine is more visually appealing but the story didn't really drive it home for me the way Malkovich did. And i think no other filmmaker would've done as good a job as Jonze adapting the screenplay... but it also makes me wonder what Gondry could have done with it, since he's just a visual master.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
So I take it you pick Michel Gondry as your favorite?

I really like Eternal Sunshine... but man, just the creativity on Being John Malkovich and I'm not just talking visually here, really pushes the boundaries of storytelling and I feel maybe its Charlie Kauffman who deserves most of the credit here. But to me I feel that Being John Malkovich just gives me that feeling where I know I can watch 10 or 20 years from now and I will not get tired of it. I think Eternal Sunshine is more visually appealing but the story didn't really drive it home for me the way Malkovich did. And i think no other filmmaker would've done as good a job as Jonze adapting the screenplay... but it also makes me wonder what Gondry could have done with it, since he's just a visual master.
Pick him as my favourite music videoclip director, but I've finally decided to pick Where The Wild Things Are over The Science of Sleep, so we have a tie!

Charlie Kaufman is a wonderful writer whose inventive seems endless. As I said, I love Being John Malkovich and I could never get tired of re-watching either. I think Jonze was the man for the job. He probably has a better sense of storytelling. I can't imagine it having been a better movie if Gondry had directed it.

What makes Eternal Sunshine... superior in my eyes is how touching I've always found the story to be and probably the acting: even Jim Carrey was amazing! Are you a male? I have this theory that it's mostly females (like me) who find this movie so iconic lol. Not always, but...

Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Pick him as my favourite music videoclip director, but I've finally decided to pick Where The Wild Things Are over The Science of Sleep, so we have a tie!

Charlie Kaufman is a wonderful writer whose inventive seems endless. As I said, I love Being John Malkovich and I could never get tired of re-watching either. I think Jonze was the man for the job. He probably has a better sense of storytelling. I can't imagine it having been a better movie if Gondry had directed it.

What makes Eternal Sunshine... superior in my eyes is how touching I've always found the story to be and probably the acting: even Jim Carrey was amazing! Are you a male? I have this theory that it's mostly females (like me) who find this movie so iconic lol. Not always, but...
Haha! Yeah, totally know what you mean. And I am a male indeed. I can totally empathize about relating so much to a movie that it just becomes this movie that you learn to appreciate more than others. It must be the reason why i love superhero movies...

Old 09-24-2017, 11:50 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Jonze? Well, I mean, "Being John Malkovich", "Adaptation" and "Where the Wild Things Are" is a pretty damn good list to his credit!
This six year old thread needs updating

Spike Jonze major Directorial Feature Films
1999 Being John Malkovich
2002 Adaptation
2009 Where the Wild Things Are
2013 Her

I really like Being John Malkovich and Adaptation, so I was looking forward to finally seeing "Her".

Unfortunately, I found it made me very uncomfortable. That may be a sign that it was a good movie, but I confess I haven't been able to watch it entirely.

Michel Gondry
Human Nature (2001)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
The Science of Sleep (2006)
Be Kind Rewind (2008)
The Green Hornet (2011)
The We and the I (2012)
Mood Indigo ("L'écume des Jours") (2013)
Microbe & Gasoline (2015)

This thread needs to be updated with Gondry's new films, but I confess I haven't seen them. Based on the description I would like to.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-24-2017 at 11:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies