Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they have remade Conan the Barbarian?
Ye sure, why not? 3 20.00%
No... 11 73.33%
Who's Conan? 1 6.67%
Could care the less, not into Fantacy fiction... 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,382 times

Advertisements

Ok, when I heard they were remaking this movie on the radio this morning I almost wanted to cry...

Some movies you just don't remake...and this is one of them, and if you do you definitly do '3-D' it...no...just stop...

Why?....why?, I mean of all the older fantacy fiction movies they could of pulled out the closet to remake, why did they choose this one?...

Certain character actors just can't be replicated...John Wayne, Clint East Wood, Bruce Lee, And Arnold Schwartsinegger....

It can't be done...Exspecially with today inferior directing and acting pool and script writing...

They are taking a classic childhood iconic favorite of many, and turning it into a 15 minute of fame remake, just to sell it on some coffee mugs and happy meals and cereal boxes...and Conan apps...

Arnolds portrayal of Conan felt authintic do to his real Austrian accent...Arnolds heritage really fit the bill...and that cold barbaric glare he use to have...

this new Actor, looks more like Brandon Lee...and is not as muscular as the original character...(sorry but tall men who arent fully muscular, look more like their half starving)...

And I heard a preview on the radio this morning...the accents are totally fake...instead of 'being Conan', you can tell he's trying to 'be Conan'...

Oh well, maybe a 4 year old might be impressed...

They're going to mess this one up like they did when they remade 'Clash of the Titans.'...

However...I could be wrong since I haven't seen it...

So I could be over reacting...

It's just some things are so embedded in your memory of years ago, that when they mess with it, and reconstruct it, it can be bothersome...

If anyone sees the movie, please do give a review...thanks...

Next their going to re do the Terminator...it's only a matter of time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,015 times
I remember going to see this movie at the AMC with my SO and wondering if it would be a remake or a reboot. It was the former, as it wasn't a scene-for-scene reproduction of the 1982 orginal. I thought it was okay, if somewhat generic.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM

Back then, everything was 'steel' or 'iron'...

Today everything is 'plastic' or 'cardboard'...

And how some of these remake films or movies even make it out of the editing room is beyond me...

To include the disastrious remake of 'The Dukes of Hazard'...

Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
I have a hard time thinking of the recent Conan flick as a "remake."

Conan started out in the pulps and was made very popular in the comics. Therese were the primary inspiration for Milius's 1980s film.

The new film was NOT an attempt to remake Milius, but an attempt to draw on all of the Conan stories (pulps, comics, cartoons, TV shows, etc.), and I think it failed pretty spectacularly. Just goes to show you that a bad movie with great special effects is still a bad movie.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have a hard time thinking of the recent Conan flick as a "remake."

Conan started out in the pulps and was made very popular in the comics. Therese were the primary inspiration for Milius's 1980s film.

The new film was NOT an attempt to remake Milius, but an attempt to draw on all of the Conan stories (pulps, comics, cartoons, TV shows, etc.), and I think it failed pretty spectacularly. Just goes to show you that a bad movie with great special effects is still a bad movie.
Were you around when the original came out?

from a 1-5 in believability...what would you give this film?

Did the 3-D effects make it better or worse?

Did it have more of a Disney, Scorpian king feel to it?

haven't seen it yet...don't know if I ever will...

Remakes done just for the sake of revenue are never no good...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Were you around when the original came out?
Yep. Saw it in the theater 3 times. Seen it many times since. I think it's one of the most under-rated films of the '80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
The new one? Haven't seen it. Don't really care too. It looked way too Prince of Persia to me. Once it's out on DVD, I might give it a rental, but I have no high expectations.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time and space View Post
ok, when i heard they were remaking this movie on the radio this morning i almost wanted to cry...

Some movies you just don't remake...and this is one of them, and if you do you definitly do '3-d' it...no...just stop...

Why?....why?, i mean of all the older fantacy fiction movies they could of pulled out the closet to remake, why did they choose this one?...

Certain character actors just can't be replicated...john wayne, clint east wood, bruce lee, and arnold schwartsinegger....

It can't be done...exspecially with today inferior directing and acting pool and script writing...

They are taking a classic childhood iconic favorite of many, and turning it into a 15 minute of fame remake, just to sell it on some coffee mugs and happy meals and cereal boxes...and conan apps...

Arnolds portrayal of conan felt authintic do to his real austrian accent...arnolds heritage really fit the bill...and that cold barbaric glare he use to have...

This new actor, looks more like brandon lee...and is not as muscular as the original character...(sorry but tall men who arent fully muscular, look more like their half starving)...

And i heard a preview on the radio this morning...the accents are totally fake...instead of 'being conan', you can tell he's trying to 'be conan'...

Oh well, maybe a 4 year old might be impressed...

They're going to mess this one up like they did when they remade 'clash of the titans.'...

However...i could be wrong since i haven't seen it...

So i could be over reacting...

It's just some things are so embedded in your memory of years ago, that when they mess with it, and reconstruct it, it can be bothersome...

If anyone sees the movie, please do give a review...thanks...

Next their going to re do the terminator...it's only a matter of time...
new conan = poop

Seriously, save your money. It's terrible.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:30 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Idea of remaking it? Sure, why not.

The result? Alternating lol- and yawn-fest. Also the film had a bizzarely deflated ending, like they ran out of all their special effects money half-way through.

Me and all my friends all agreed it was a waste of time, but it did have the fun of all of us making a certain nose gesture at each other for the next week and breaking out laughing.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,015 times
Quote:
I give it a 5/5, since it set in the same Howard/Frazzetta universe as the 1982 orignal. How could it be any more or less "believable" as high fantasy adventure than Conan 82?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,123 times
I didn't think it was terrible, but I don't remember the first one well enough to compare them.

I will say that I thought the sand-baddies were pretty awesome. Really liked that whole scene and the special effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies