Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,943 times

Advertisements

Went to a screening of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy recently. It's EXCELLENT!

Don't know when it will be in theaters, but when it does come out, I think it will be a big hit. Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, John Hurt, story by John LaCarre's (who has a cameo), and with amazing sets and costumes (it takes place in the early 70s). Awesome acting, good story, many tense moments.

It's a good date movie, too, because a key element is the high tension, relationships, and emotions of the spies (MI6). There's violence -- but not gratuitous. Except for two quick scenes, you don't see any gore. I'm a woman and hate gory movies, but did not object to this one. Anyone who enjoys the Bourne flicks and Burn Notice will enjoy this one.

Last edited by citychik; 11-29-2011 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
I'm counting down the days. Release date in the US is 9 December.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM

668 posts, read 994,764 times
Good to hear! I was a bit apprehensive that they would be able to do it justice in a relatively short movie, but that case is superb.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
I thought it was fantastic. A friend of mine had put me off as she was reading Le Carre's novel and told me it was the most tedious of books and she could not even bear to finish it.

I saw the film last month and thought it was superb. Tense, full of suspense, stunningly shot, and the best acting you could possibly imagine. The movie relies on facial expressions and Gary Oldman in particular shone out as master of the understated but then again to be fair the stellar cast is not to be dismissed either, as ALL performances are superb. There are no duds in this little masterpiece. It is also a wonderful "period piece" in terms of the sets, costumes and general feeling of the era. The film oozes the period through its every pore.

I suspect by most modern audience's expectations this is a slow , uneventful movie but to me the action was all in the characterization and plot. No silly action scenes or special effects, no overblown shiny baubles which mainstream cinema loves so much. Muted colours reflect a muted film, subtle and with little "noise" to pander to the lowest common denominator. It is an intensively quiet film which does not shout from the rooftops but draws you and grips you until the end.

Impressive, thrilling and in my opinion one of the best films of this year. I was in awe of the acting, a perfect piece of storytelling and a credit to the director. Not to be missed by those who find modern movie making a constant disappointment. This is cinema at its best.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 PM

746 posts, read 3,500,217 times
Yes, as Chilalli said, it begins its distribution in the big cities this coming Friday December9 and will work its way through the system after that.

It is quite a thriller but of the quieter kind, it is about plot, twists and turns, intense acting and lots of dead ends in its maze of spy on spy detail. Loved it because it kept me guessing.

No car crashes, CGI effects or showy explosions, just a great espionage story well told.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:37 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Yes, as Chilalli said, it begins its distribution in the big cities this coming Friday December9 and will work its way through the system after that.

It is quite a thriller but of the quieter kind, it is about plot, twists and turns, intense acting and lots of dead ends in its maze of spy on spy detail. Loved it because it kept me guessing.

No car crashes, CGI effects or showy explosions, just a great espionage story well told.
And Gary Oldman! I have always liked Gary..He has done many diverse roles, From a brooding Dracula to a soviet terrorist! And well too.

Should be rockin ride!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Impressive, thrilling and in my opinion one of the best films of this year. I was in awe of the acting, a perfect piece of storytelling and a credit to the director. Not to be missed by those who find modern movie making a constant disappointment. This is cinema at its best.
The screening I attended was followed by a Q&A with the director, and he talked about his creative process and how it was to consult with John LaCarre (who has a cameo in some Christmas party scenes). Everything the director did was so well thought out.

I'll be very surprised if it doesn't get a few Oscar nomination. Costumes and Set Design will definitely be acknowledged, as well as the stellar acting!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
This looks good, I love spy movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies