Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,180,010 times

Advertisements

Just re-watched Sling Blade for the first time in about 10 years; it's also the first time watching the film on Blu.

Excellent movie, with great acting by BB. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought he was actually disabled. Obviously, very sad story - the explanation that the character gave as to why he was in the institution (to the young reporter in the beginning) was horrible, but also told in a very matter-of-fact way - this was not something I expected the first time I saw this.

I think the film also sheds a lot of light on the unfortunate situation that people are in who get out of institutions like this - the BB character was told to go on his way since he was "free" & ended up going back to the institution after he left, since he had no money & have no place to go/live. No surprise that many of these people who are freed like this commit other crimes & end up right back where they came from.

The scene when he confronted his elderly, senile father (Robert Duvall) living in the ramshackle house was quite powerful.

The penultimate scene when he ended up
Spoiler
taking out the violent bully was anti-climactic. If this had been a big-budget Hollywood movie (which this wasn't, obviousy) there would have a been a huge fight here. However, in this case the Dwight Yoakam character, who was quite intoxicated, didn't put up a struggle at all. I understand that the BB character felt that if he hadn't done anything, the bully would almost certainly have very seriously hurt the woman and/or her son, or probably worse. He obviously felt he had to do something to protect them - especially since they had taken him in & he saw them as a kind of family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,265,539 times
I thought John Ritter did a great job as 'Vaughan' in this movie.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,590,618 times
Great movie. Wasn't expecting much but it blew me away.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
OK, I have a funny story about Sling Blade.

I am a pretty good mimic, and so of course after watching Sling Blade I started talking like the main guy - to our dogs, to my kids, making jokes, etc. Well, come to find out, my husband HATES it when I talk in that voice - apparently it's very unattractive. Hehehehehhe...

Well, anyway, we watched it recently so of course, though I had given that voice a rest for several years, the opportunity presented itself for me to employ that accent again. Immediately my husband began saying, "Ugh - I hate it when you talk like that guy - stop it!" Sigh. OK.

Anyway - a few days after we watched it, I had a physical therapy appointment, not with the therapist but with the actual doctor. Since my right Achilles tendon was the one that was jacked up, I couldn't drive so my husband dropped me off and was going to come pick me up in an hour.

Well - the doctor was a hoot, and don't ask me how, but we got to talking about Sling Blade - sort of mixed in with the whole appointment. For instance, he'd say, "Wale...some folks call this a rubber band, but I call it a sling blade...uhh, huhhh...does it hurt?" And I'd stick my jaw out and say, "I don't reckon it does, uhh huhhh..." I know - ridiculous but we were having a good time.

So in walks my husband and what he didn't hear was the doctor saying to me, "What choo aim to do with this rubber band, Karl?" but he did hear me say in my best Sling Blade voice, "Ah aim to kill you wid it." The look on his face..it was priceless. But then I said, in a regular voice, "Honey, this is Dr. _______" (and then I couldn't resist)"...uhh huhhh..."

We all chatted for a bit and then my husband and I left and as soon as we got in the car he said, "Oh my gosh, what were you doing in there? WHY WERE YOU TALKING TO THAT DOCTOR IN YOUR SLING BLADE VOICE?"

I nearly died laughing! I honestly am not sure if he ever believed that the doctor and I talked in Sling Blade fashion back and forth for the entire appointment!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,381,801 times
dwight yoakam is soooooo great in that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,152,534 times
Not only did I think it was a great movie, but I really admire movies that manage to be great on a low budget. And movies that are about ordinary life. And I'll add to that a special mention for John Ritter, who was a surprise.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:49 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,347,179 times
All the actors in "Sling Blade" do magnificent work. How Thornton was able to direct the film and stay so thoroughly in character is a mystery. So Boo Radley had a son

Old 10-04-2015, 02:55 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,568,017 times
A classic. Love this movie. it's one of those dvd's you have to have in your collection.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,332,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Just re-watched Sling Blade for the first time in about 10 years; it's also the first time watching the film on Blu.

Excellent movie, with great acting by BB. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought he was actually disabled. Obviously, very sad story - the explanation that the character gave as to why he was in the institution (to the young reporter in the beginning) was horrible, but also told in a very matter-of-fact way - this was not something I expected the first time I saw this.

I think the film also sheds a lot of light on the unfortunate situation that people are in who get out of institutions like this - the BB character was told to go on his way since he was "free" & ended up going back to the institution after he left, since he had no money & have no place to go/live. No surprise that many of these people who are freed like this commit other crimes & end up right back where they came from.

The scene when he confronted his elderly, senile father (Robert Duvall) living in the ramshackle house was quite powerful.

The penultimate scene when he ended up
Spoiler
taking out the violent bully was anti-climactic. If this had been a big-budget Hollywood movie (which this wasn't, obviousy) there would have a been a huge fight here. However, in this case the Dwight Yoakam character, who was quite intoxicated, didn't put up a struggle at all. I understand that the BB character felt that if he hadn't done anything, the bully would almost certainly have very seriously hurt the woman and/or her son, or probably worse. He obviously felt he had to do something to protect them - especially since they had taken him in & he saw them as a kind of family.

I agree!

Old 10-04-2015, 03:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 775,032 times
arright then ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies