Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times

Advertisements

Could we see the day where major blockbuster movies are produced for YouTube for free viewing, paid for only by Google's AdSense and limited commercials that run only before and after the movie?

Could AdSense raise enough money not only to pay off the enormous production costs, but a reasonable profit too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
I don't think so, but it's just my opinion. Google's empire will stuff their bank accounts.
Between the free movies on Youtube and Netflix, combined with our crappy cable service that we get with our apartment rent, we don't need any more TV. There is actually a real life out there to live, away from "The Boob Tube" !

Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I don't really see why not. Stuff is starting to be developed exclusively for NetFlix which is essentially the same thing. I don't think they would make their money back if it started now but I could see something like that happening in the future, assuming YouTube is still around.

To be clear, I'm not talking about multi-million dollar epics here. But something like Paranormal Activity could probably work.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
I can see straight to Hulu, but Youtube? No.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
I'd not heard of the Direct-to-Youtube concept, but I think that way could have a lot of potential!

There are some movies made 'on a shoestring' that turn out very well, and the cost of professional quality output digital cameras are now well within the budget of anyone. Especially if you also look at alternate funding measures like Kickstarter.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Major blockbusters cost millions to make, have to pay union rates to SAG and IATSE, have to have a representative from the humane society on board, and so on and so forth. I rarely say "never" But a major blockbuster going straight to YouTube, where Google would reap the lion's share profits, is NEVER going to happen... unless Google gets into making movies and does it as a stunt.

There is simply too much money that would be lost in eliminating the other distribution channels.

Fan movies may get better, and be entertaining and innovative, but they are like soap box derby cars compared to the blockbuster's Lotus.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Major blockbusters cost millions to make, have to pay union rates to SAG and IATSE, have to have a representative from the humane society on board, and so on and so forth. I rarely say "never" But a major blockbuster going straight to YouTube, where Google would reap the lion's share profits, is NEVER going to happen... unless Google gets into making movies and does it as a stunt.

There is simply too much money that would be lost in eliminating the other distribution channels.

Fan movies may get better, and be entertaining and innovative, but they are like soap box derby cars compared to the blockbuster's Lotus.

Blockbusters can easily cost $200 million or more, but if it's essentially free, you have potentially a billion or more people watching it the first day alone with several repeats if it's a good movie. The mandatory commercial or two could earn them a buck or two per viewing.

Those who insist on seeing it on the big screen will be able to do so if they wish. I know I would. They also have the potential to make more money with DVD/Blu-ray and merchandising.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You must live in a pirate free world.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
What's the point of piracy when you can watch the movie for free? The studios will make money with banner ads, AdSense links and limited commercials.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
There are tons of feature movies on YouTube that can be watched by anyone right now, is that pirating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies