Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else read about this? I found it to actually be quite an interesting and astute observation, one that I've agreed with for some time as I've felt all three actors, at least in recent years, have simply fallen into playing the same roles over and over again. They're almost a victim of their own success, and are such Hollywood royalty that whenever they roll out of bed and croak out the same performance yet again, they're drowned in accolades and awards. It's probably the same with any industry. These guys have been doing it for 20, 30, 40 years, and are bound to get sort of tired and to lack the same hunger and drive that they had early in their careers. I just found it interesting because these three are practically the Holy Trinity of Hollywood actors and few people ever say anything negative about them.

Coppola chides 3 Oscar-winning actors - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Interesting comments! But what does Coppola want?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Hunger/ambition is mostly associated with youth and / or the poor.
Maybe Coppola is complaining that they have become old or that overpaying actors is a bad idea because power eventually takes away their artistic drive?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Coppola is basically verbalizing what everyone tacitly knows.
It's not like some big secret.
Maybe Coppola wants those guys to invest in his vineyard. He charges enough for his wine.
One thing: I truly enjoyed Pacino's performance in 2004's The Merchant of Venice, a play that can be interpreted in many different ways (this one was a little darker, but Pacino did not over-do it.)

Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
If you liked Pacino in The merchant of Venice, you'll probably enjoy is Looking for Richard also.
I enjoyed his passion for the play.

Quote:
Director Al Pacino juxtaposes scene's from Richard III, scenes of rehearsals for Richard III, and sessions where parties involved discuss the play, the times that shaped the play and the events that happened at the time the play is set. Interviews with mostly British actors are also included, attempting to explain why American actors have more problems performing Shakespearean plays than they do.
Written by Ron Kerrigan {mvg@whidbey.com} Looking for Richard (1996) - Plot summary

Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Pacino is the same in every movie to me. But so are DeNiro and Nicholson now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies