Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times

Advertisements

There are lots of movies I've started watching on DVD but given up on. Too many to name. The most recent was ONE FOR THE MONEY, which even my wife hated, and she's a big fan of the books. I think we made it 20 minutes into the movie before giving up.

I've only walked out of one movie in the theater: Highlander 2. Perhaps the worst sequel of all time.

I have fallen asleep in the theater twice: In RED HEAT (Ahnuld and Jim Belushi) and NOMADS (a horror movie with Pierce Brosnan from the '80s that was supposed to be scary but was just boring).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,307,496 times
I watched "Heat" at the cinema and my goodness it seemed to go on For-ev-errrrrrrr.

Maybe because the seats were really uncomfortable but we fidgeted all the way through it.

I also went to see "Lost In Space" (not my choice but cajoled into it by some friends) and promptly dozed off as soon as it started - I think the scene started with them all asleep in their spaceship which may account for my instant sleepiness - and woke up as the final credits rolled :-) Apparently I didn't miss much :-0

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,786,237 times
Dark City (1998) - IMDb

I died in the theater ... The staff had to call 911 and paramedics had to revive me those shock paddle thingies. It was terribad!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,480,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy'sWife View Post
Cloud Atlas didn't redeem itself, that's for sure. That movie was all over the place, and it did make sense in the end, but it was still bad. I've never seen or heard of Silver Linings Playbook ( I don't watch TV) what's the movie about?
Loved Cloud Atlas myself and it was one of the more moving and thoughtful films I've seen in awhile. But as even critic Roger Ebert mentioned, he needed to see it more than once, as there's so much going on. And besides, I suspect this is a love-it-or-hate-it sort of movie, that frankly, is mostly gonna appeal to folks of a certain ''political'' persuasion anyway.

A lotta great quotes though, including...

“Power, time, gravity, love. The forces that really kick ass are all invisible.”

“... in a cycle as old as tribalism, ignorance of the Other engenders fear; fear engenders hatred; hatred engenders violence; violence engenders further violence until the only "rights", the only law, are whatever is willed by the most powerful.”

“The better organized the state, the duller its humanity.”

Cloud Atlas Quotes

Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,687,721 times
Cos-slop-olis(Cosmopolis).............I still can't get over how terrible that movie was......and I mourn the $1.36 loss that this stinker inflicted on me!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,847,733 times
boring but 'supposed to be good' movies:

Lost in Translation
The Hobbit
Slumdog millionaire

Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,186,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Loved Cloud Atlas myself and it was one of the more moving and thoughtful films I've seen in awhile. But as even critic Roger Ebert mentioned, he needed to see it more than once, as there's so much going on. And besides, I suspect this is a love-it-or-hate-it sort of movie, that frankly, is mostly gonna appeal to folks of a certain ''political'' persuasion anyway.

A lotta great quotes though, including...

“Power, time, gravity, love. The forces that really kick ass are all invisible.”

“... in a cycle as old as tribalism, ignorance of the Other engenders fear; fear engenders hatred; hatred engenders violence; violence engenders further violence until the only "rights", the only law, are whatever is willed by the most powerful.”

“The better organized the state, the duller its humanity.”

Cloud Atlas Quotes
I'm glad to hear this as I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD. I loved the book, and am really interested in how it compares to the movie.

Some of the best movie experiences I've had are when I attend a really bad movie with a companion who feels the same way. I love the moment when you feel brave enough to make a snide comment and your companion laughs and replies in kind - then you're in it together, and from then on controlling your laughter becomes painful. I experienced this in a Kevin Bacon/Meryl Streep stinker called "The River Wild" and a Chinese film called "Xiu Xiu the Sent Down Girl" (which got rave views - 96% positive on Rotten Tomatoes - what do I know? ) From the point when I was no longer able to keep from blurting out a "wtf" type comment, and my fellow movie-goer acknowledged the wtf-edness of the scene in question, the ensuring hilarity made those movie experiences some of my most treasured memories.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,003,924 times
I walked out of Fun with Dick & Jane.

I only go to 4-5 movies a year, and that's the only one I've walked out on in past 20 years or so.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,591,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
boring but 'supposed to be good' movies:

Lost in Translation
The Hobbit
Slumdog millionaire
Lost in Translation got SO much hype! I didn't see it in the theaters, but after I saw it on TV I was really disappointed! Glad I didn't pay to see it.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 267,897 times
Do movie theatres still give refunds if you leave the movie before the 30 minute mark? I was a box office supervisor in the early 90s as a teenager and we issued refunds if the customer walked out in the first 30 minutes of the feature. Is that still the case?

A couple notable movies that surprisingly, I had to issue several refunds to customers who did not like the film. "Speed" and "Wayne's Word 2".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies