Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:46 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen any of the six or so movies of this title, never read the book either.

I did read the wikepedia entry and had a hard time keeping up with all the twists, turns and persons in the story line. Struck me as perfect for a TV series of the prime time soap opera type like Dynasty or Dallas, etc.

FWIW / IMO: The excesses of wealth strike me as a poverty; the sadness of seeing something squandered, the waste of human potential, of living a futile life, and inevitable loss. There's a deeper meaning to all of this Gatsby stuff, maybe someone will take a stab at it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
FWIW / IMO: The excesses of wealth strike me as a poverty; the sadness of seeing something squandered, the waste of human potential, of living a futile life, and inevitable loss. There's a deeper meaning to all of this Gatsby stuff, maybe someone will take a stab at it.
Actually I think you just summed up The Great Gatsby pretty nicely!

“I couldn’t forgive him or like him, but I saw that what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confused. They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.”

Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
“They were careless people, Tom and Daisy....”
I just read an article about Bruce Dern (Laura Dern's father)....I'd forgotten he'd portrayed Tom in the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
I loved Bruce Dern in that film!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Haven't seen any of the six or so movies of this title, never read the book either.

I did read the wikepedia entry and had a hard time keeping up with all the twists, turns and persons in the story line. Struck me as perfect for a TV series of the prime time soap opera type like Dynasty or Dallas, etc.

yes it shouldve been a show. omg someone pitch that!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That's how I look at it, too. I can even see the similarities between the 1920s (and Fitzgerald's commentary on them) and the present day, but that doesn't mean I want to see one of my favorite eras in modern history overlaid with current pop music (which I don't even like).
There is a similarity. Many are referring to current times as the new gilded age and I have to agree considering the present economy and the small percentage that is benefitting from it. Other than that, I was loooking forward to seeing it, but the soundtrack just might ruin it for me too.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,680 times
The movie was absolute rubbish... I agree with all the negative reviews of the film. It wasn't enjoyable as the Great Gatsby, nor was it enjoyable as anything other. I felt like walking out immediately and I'm surprised I stayed for the entire film. I felt a lot of pain while watching it. It was more like physical exercise and an exercise in will than a night out at the movies. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I even watched the first third of Silver Linings Playbook.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
I loved it. I think the soundtrack was amazing as well (I giggled a couple of times at the songs though).

Luhrman can be polarizing: you either love his work or hate it.

It's really a story about hope, not wealth and excess. I think looking at it like that makes it a beautiful story.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
If you're talking about the new movie Gatsby, just watched it tonight on BluRay. I shut it off about half way through, just horrible. The acting, the stupid rap music, just everything about this movie is awful. If I didn't know better I thought I was watching The Spoils of Babylon again.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,299 times
Luhrmann is indeed a risk-taking director which suits me fine; 2001's 'Moulin Rouge' was wonderful. The 1974 version of TGG with Robert Redford, Lois Chiles, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern & others was okay, but one line from one of the many reviews I read about that version summarized it very quickly and was short and to the point.

It simply stated that 'the lives of rich people are very empty'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies