Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,134 times

Advertisements

Was discussing the big gap between Marvel based movies and DC Comics - clearly Marvel is mopping the proverbial floor with DC Comics. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet (and I intend to) but I think DC needs to take a page out of Marvel's book and develop a lesser known character like Iron Man (before the movie, Iron Man really wasn't a mainstream superhero).

I was thinking of a a few ideas:

a) Reboot Green Lantern with a Jon Stewart Green Lantern. So many ways this could work very well.
b) A Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Cyclops, or Flash movie, again if done right could work really well. Spend the time necessary on the origin and don't be so quick to get them in a superhero suit.
c) Leverage the success of Batman and (I assume) Superman movies and do a "Superman vs Batman" movie. There's been comics and animated movies with that theme. Somehow this could be leveraged into a Justice League movie.

Those are my ideas, I think one of them could work if done right. Marvel was masterful at developing the Avengers by using a solid foundation of blockbuster hit movies (with the exception of the Hulk who they just remade for the Avengers). I think a Superman v Batman movie would be awesome and could add a character from another successful DC movie (if they make one). I sorta like how Smallville planted the concept of a "League" in that Clark can't be everywhere at every time and even Superman needs help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Was discussing the big gap between Marvel based movies and DC Comics - clearly Marvel is mopping the proverbial floor with DC Comics. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet (and I intend to) but I think DC needs to take a page out of Marvel's book and develop a lesser known character like Iron Man (before the movie, Iron Man really wasn't a mainstream superhero).

I was thinking of a a few ideas:

a) Reboot Green Lantern with a Jon Stewart Green Lantern. So many ways this could work very well.
b) A Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Cyclops, or Flash movie, again if done right could work really well. Spend the time necessary on the origin and don't be so quick to get them in a superhero suit.
c) Leverage the success of Batman and (I assume) Superman movies and do a "Superman vs Batman" movie. There's been comics and animated movies with that theme. Somehow this could be leveraged into a Justice League movie.

Those are my ideas, I think one of them could work if done right. Marvel was masterful at developing the Avengers by using a solid foundation of blockbuster hit movies (with the exception of the Hulk who they just remade for the Avengers). I think a Superman v Batman movie would be awesome and could add a character from another successful DC movie (if they make one). I sorta like how Smallville planted the concept of a "League" in that Clark can't be everywhere at every time and even Superman needs help.
Wonder woman by far has been an anticipated one. There was even a show pilot filmed that was not released to the public. Various scripts have been attempted but it remains in development hell.

The Flash was made into a TV series many years ago and it was actually good. Would not mind seeing a Flash movie on the big screen.

Now that Man of Steel is showing super numbers at the box office, Maybe a Supergirl can be done also. The one with Helen Slater i recall being a good film, Though it's more of a cult movie.

A crossover would be great! Maybe the Avengers getting help from Superman during one of their battles? I can see a very comical exchange of words between Tony Stark and Superman at Tony's home bar.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Wonder woman by far has been an anticipated one. There was even a show pilot filmed that was not released to the public. Various scripts have been attempted but it remains in development hell.

The Flash was made into a TV series many years ago and it was actually good. Would not mind seeing a Flash movie on the big screen.

Now that Man of Steel is showing super numbers at the box office, Maybe a Supergirl can be done also. The one with Helen Slater i recall being a good film, Though it's more of a cult movie.

A crossover would be great! Maybe the Avengers getting help from Superman during one of their battles? I can see a very comical exchange of words between Tony Stark and Superman at Tony's home bar.
I remember the flash series in the 80s - yes it was actually pretty good then got abruptly canceled (as usual).

I think if they the wonder woman movie right (and it may be tough to pull off) it'd work.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
I dunno. I just don't see a live-action Wonder Woman movie working. For one thing, the costume is just too ridiculous. She looks like the strongest stripper in a 4th of July parade.

Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, and even Green Lantern have always struck me as too "out there" and weird for a mainstream audience. I'm a comic book nerd, and even I am not excited by them. I can see why Green Lantern might appeal to 12 year olds. As an adult, I don't see the appeal at all.

Of all of DC's other heroes, the Flash probably stands the best chance of success.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Man of Steel and hope the sequel holds up.

Batman ... ugh. As much as I hate to say it, the Bat needs a reboot. ReBat?

Batman Begins was okay. I liked the first half or so immensely, then thought the last half or so was utterly ridiculous. The Dark Knight was a masterpiece. Loved every second. The Dark Knight Rises was a train wreck and completely ruined this storyline for me. I hated hated HATED it. Other than Joseph Gordon Levitt, the movie was unwatchable. The fight scenes throughout and climactic ending actually reminded me of Schumacher's Batman & Robin more than anything.

Honestly, Batman ought to be a TV show. And not a teen friendly mystery of the week show like Smallville. It needs to be a gritty psychological crime drama that returns Batman to his origins. All of the Batfilms have been badly influenced by the '60s TV show and James Bond movies in that the creators seem to think what makes Batman formidable is gadgets and vehicles. That needs to go.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I dunno. I just don't see a live-action Wonder Woman movie working. For one thing, the costume is just too ridiculous. She looks like the strongest stripper in a 4th of July parade.

Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, and even Green Lantern have always struck me as too "out there" and weird for a mainstream audience. I'm a comic book nerd, and even I am not excited by them. I can see why Green Lantern might appeal to 12 year olds. As an adult, I don't see the appeal at all.

Of all of DC's other heroes, the Flash probably stands the best chance of success.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Man of Steel and hope the sequel holds up.

Batman ... ugh. As much as I hate to say it, the Bat needs a reboot. ReBat?

Batman Begins was okay. I liked the first half or so immensely, then thought the last half or so was utterly ridiculous. The Dark Knight was a masterpiece. Loved every second. The Dark Knight Rises was a train wreck and completely ruined this storyline for me. I hated hated HATED it. Other than Joseph Gordon Levitt, the movie was unwatchable. The fight scenes throughout and climactic ending actually reminded me of Schumacher's Batman & Robin more than anything.

Honestly, Batman ought to be a TV show. And not a teen friendly mystery of the week show like Smallville. It needs to be a gritty psychological crime drama that returns Batman to his origins. All of the Batfilms have been badly influenced by the '60s TV show and James Bond movies in that the creators seem to think what makes Batman formidable is gadgets and vehicles. That needs to go.
The Green Lantern film that was made was a bit silly, I agree. it was visually rich and stunning but mostly weird eye candy.

Wonder woman had names like Megan Fox and....Lindsay Lohan attached to it. Megan, I can see. Lindsay forget it. That would be like a Superman Charlie Sheen LOL. It does present a challenge to make that hero something with wide appeal. A delicate balance. Superhero films have evolved from the screen from having a comic feel with over the top characters to more realistic protagonists with darker back-stories. You can make it dark, But not too violent or adult for the younger crowd.

This thread got me thinking back to my comic book days, And I cannot remember any other DC heroes other then Wonder woman, Batman, Superman and ROM truthfully. I can remember many more obscure Marvel ones like Alpha Flight and Moon Knight though.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,558,468 times
Wonder Women/Aquaman movie followed by a justice league movie.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Superhero films have evolved from the screen from having a comic feel with over the top characters to more realistic protagonists with darker back-stories. You can make it dark, But not too violent or adult for the younger crowd.
I don't know that super hero movies need to be dark. But if you want to put adults in the seats, they need to tone down the cartoon element. And they need to think of a climax beyond fisticuffs. That's getting old.

Quote:
This thread got me thinking back to my comic book days, And I cannot remember any other DC heroes other then Wonder woman, Batman, Superman and ROM truthfully. I can remember many more obscure Marvel ones like Alpha Flight and Moon Knight though.
I'm pretty sure ROM was Marvel.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know that super hero movies need to be dark. But if you want to put adults in the seats, they need to tone down the cartoon element. And they need to think of a climax beyond fisticuffs. That's getting old.

I'm pretty sure ROM was Marvel.
The traditional climactic battle has long been a mainstay in films throughout history, And the advances in graphics make them bolder and in more dramatic places. Then there is the "He's not really defeated" thing that usually comes up where the villain gets up, Or there is a post credits scene of him/her/It plotting revenge. From horror to action to Shakespeare. I agree. Having a unique ending would help. Again, They are looking at a broad audience. They often test these at advance screenings even. Sometimes there are re-writes, re-shoots and the DVD/Blu-Ray release will have the "alternate" ending. You raise a great point!

You are right. ROM the Spaceknight was Marvel indeed. I was playing Atari and eating Captain crunch when this hero was in comics LOL.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The Green Lantern film that was made was a bit silly, I agree. it was visually rich and stunning but mostly weird eye candy.

Wonder woman had names like Megan Fox and....Lindsay Lohan attached to it. Megan, I can see. Lindsay forget it. That would be like a Superman Charlie Sheen LOL. It does present a challenge to make that hero something with wide appeal. A delicate balance. Superhero films have evolved from the screen from having a comic feel with over the top characters to more realistic protagonists with darker back-stories. You can make it dark, But not too violent or adult for the younger crowd.

Hmm, I hear you but I kinda think the right Wonder Woman movie could work - as much as I LOVE Linda Blair and the 70s Wonder Woman, I know that won't work. I am think of a Columbiana/Salt "type" female character - meaning bad ass, can kick anyones @ss - has the right amount of sex appeal but that's not what the movies about. There's a few ways to spin it and make it work. She doesn't need to be in a bikini with the Tiara either. Batman and Superman's suit were remade, so they can easily make one that works for her in a 21st century post bra burning, coulda had a woman-first-president of the US world...

Thing is Marvel has like 3-4 character lead on DC Comics. So I think DC can approach it differently and juice up one of the epic conflicts - batman v superman. although I guess Christian Bale isn't doing batman anymore (?) .

I'm gonna see Man of Steel but no more reboots! There's a billion great DC super-hero all the 40 year old guys who grew up with the superfriends wanna see on the big screen - hopefully they put some thought into it and get out of paralysis of analysis.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I remember the flash series in the 80s - yes it was actually pretty good then got abruptly canceled (as usual).

I think if they the wonder woman movie right (and it may be tough to pull off) it'd work.
1990 to be exact.......... it was decent.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies