Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, I saw "Sleeper", "Take the Money and Run", and "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" on TV several times and thought they were hilarious.

I saw most of his films from "Annie Hall" through "Hannah and Her Sisters" back in their days, but didn't follow his work in the 1990's-on. I can't really remember much about them and haven't given much thought to them, although I know I usually liked what I watched.

I recently saw "Blue Jasmine" and was really impressed with Cate Blanchett's acting.

I like Allen's movies because they are grown-up movies, not the typical escapist fare of superheros, explosions, chases, shooting, etc. I'm a fan of other auteurs like the Coens and Jarmusch, as well.

I never saw "Shadows and Fog" but out of ones I haven't seen, I think I should find it to watch.

Now, pertaining to the latest accusations: with some people lumping Allen in with Roman Polanski (while also getting a lot of the known details wrong), guess who is friends with Polanski, who didn't object to his Academy Award, who even testified for him in a libel suit after he fled the country? Mia Farrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,232,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Now, pertaining to the latest accusations: with some people lumping Allen in with Roman Polanski (while also getting a lot of the known details wrong), guess who is friends with Polanski, who didn't object to his Academy Award, who even testified for him in a libel suit after he fled the country? Mia Farrow!

Not surprised about Mia Farrow that supported him - others in the industry still did and still do.
Those who do probably would sing a different tune if something like that happened to their
daughters.

Backlash builds against support of Polanski - CNN.com

Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,282,803 times
Take the Money and Run
Bananas
Everything You Wanted to Know....
Play It Again Sam
Sleeper
Annie Hall

I like his early stuff, I like when he breaks the 4th wall and talks
directly to the camera, very funny.

His private life....well that`s a different story...

Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,100,242 times
I try not to think about his private life. I think that if the accusations are true then it is horrible that it happened. If they are not true, then it'd be awful to be wrongly accused. However, I don't think any of us will ever truly know the truth.

As for the movies:
Annie Hall
To Rome With Love
and Midnight in Paris. I can watch Midnight in Paris a million times over and not get sick of it.

I want to see Blue Jasmine, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I try not to think about his private life. ...I don't think any of us will ever truly know the truth.

Here's what we do know about his private life, even if people choose not to believe Dylan: he has a proclivity for young women, and had an affair with a 17-year old when he was decades older. Oh, and he took nekkid pics of his son's sister (or are we always supposed to say "adopted" now...adoptees just can't catch a break, can they?) going back to when the kid was 13 and 14.

I wouldn't want to think about that, either, while I was adding to his coffers.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,029,917 times
Annie Hall, and I also quite enjoyed Match Point.

Really, you only need to see two or three movies, because they're all the same, especially the characters. It doesn't matter if he casts Owen Wilson in the 2010's; you can rest assured that he'll talk just like Woody Allen in the 1960's, and they'll discuss the same vintage upper-class Manhattan topics anyway.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 AM

781 posts, read 737,473 times
Interesting asking this in light of recent events....

But at any rate... Of the "earlier funnier" movies my favorite is Love and Death. F***in' hilarious that one. Annie Hall gets honorable mention of course. Of his more serious movies my favorite is Crimes and Misdemeanors. I think that one eclipses pretty much everything else he's ever made. It echoes my feelings about the human race's position in the universe. That is that it's a godless universe and that we're all just a bunch of "absurd animals running around without rhyme or reason", at the same time that we pretend to ourselves that there is "rhyme and reason" or some kind of meaning to our existence. A sentiment Allen has expressed many times that I happen to agree with. Hannah and Her Sisters gets honorable mention.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:55 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,650,234 times
Quote:
I never saw "Shadows and Fog" but out of ones I haven't seen, I think I should find it to watch.
That's the only one I didn't like at all. Went to see it with two equally die-hard Woody Allen fans, and we were just bewildered.

And as much as I tried to like "Celebrity," I couldn't get over the "Kenneth Branagh Trying to be Woody Allen" shtick.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
That's the only one I didn't like at all. Went to see it with two equally die-hard Woody Allen fans, and we were just bewildered.

And as much as I tried to like "Celebrity," I couldn't get over the "Kenneth Branagh Trying to be Woody Allen" shtick.
Interesting. It's his homage to an era and genre of film that I enjoy, German expressionism, so I figured I would like it.

Some films are bewildering and yet are considered classics, though not popular favorites with mass appeal. Eraserhead, anyone?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,623,155 times
Quote:
Some films are bewildering and yet are considered classics, though not popular favorites with mass appeal. Eraserhead, anyone?
That Lynch film is interesting. I think in each of his films you can see his imagination just running wild through the frames. Some guys are just creative geniuses. Which leads me to Mr. Allen. I do enjoy film and its stuidy but for some reason I never ever warmed to him and his work not one. Like Eraserhead, it's a 'strange' situation. I mean he gets written up lavishly as an auteur up with the greats. And also everyone's dying to get a part in his films..even Mr. Spacey who wonders why he never got picked yet. There must be something I'm not picking up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies