Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM

256 posts, read 343,231 times

Advertisements

If you're reading this thread and haven't seen it yet, do ittttttttttt. Loved it, hilarious! Favorite Marvel film yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,620,765 times
I saw the movie today and really liked it. It was funny and had lots of action. The casting was solid as well as was the animated characters, Groot and Rocket. I also liked the development of Ronin as a villian, although it could have used some explanation as to why his family was killed..

However, it would not be my favorite Marvel movie. It is good but does not quite rise to the level of the Avengers in my opinion. I think weaknesses in the two main characters, Gamora and Quinn the Star Lord, kept the movie from reaching the level of the Avengers.

To explain that, I would suggest that Zoe Saldana seemed more dangerous in Columbiana than as Gamora and more believable as well. I thought Chris Pratt did a decent job as Quinn, but just could not pull it off as well as say Robert Downey Jr did as Iron Man.

So, my review is "Good movie, Fun movie, definitely go see it. However, not really the best Avengers movie of all time!"

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I saw the movie today and really liked it. It was funny and had lots of action. The casting was solid as well as was the animated characters, Groot and Rocket. I also liked the development of Ronin as a villian, although it could have used some explanation as to why his family was killed..

However, it would not be my favorite Marvel movie. It is good but does not quite rise to the level of the Avengers in my opinion. I think weaknesses in the two main characters, Gamora and Quinn the Star Lord, kept the movie from reaching the level of the Avengers.

To explain that, I would suggest that Zoe Saldana seemed more dangerous in Columbiana than as Gamora and more believable as well. I thought Chris Pratt did a decent job as Quinn, but just could not pull it off as well as say Robert Downey Jr did as Iron Man.

So, my review is "Good movie, Fun movie, definitely go see it. However, not really the best Avengers movie of all time!"
Ronan was a decent as a villain but he wasn't established enough other than complaining about the peace between the Xandrians (the home planet of the Nova Corps) and being Thanos' second in command who wanted to wield the power infinity stone to destroy Xandar. That was the real down side that he wasn't developed. (Compared to Loki in Thor and Avengers, Red Skull in Captain America, Stane in Iron Man and Winter Soldier/H.Y.D.R.A. in Winter Solider.) This is why I said that it wasn't in the upper end of the MCU and that's not a knock on Guardians, it's like picking the worst Star Wars movie of the first three.

Gamorra was just known as known a Thanos' "daughter" and really had that and to be a hero just had to deal with the backlash of her father killing people for no real reason. I hope in future films they can establish her better but I felt she was used fine.

Peter Quill/Star Lord was good but he wouldn't be Tony Stark. He's a lot of a different character in the comics as well as the movie. I really loved the take on Quill where he is somewhat bumbling but still a good leader.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,919,432 times
It's the best Marvel movie so far. My only complaint is we have to wait two to three years for sequels, and that each property is limited to only two or three sequels. I think they can do better than that.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 26,265 times
I know very little about the comic so far. But after hearing about the cast, and seeing the trailer, this has officially become my most anticipated movie of the summer. The trailer of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY has got me super excited and I can’t wait for the 14th of August.!

Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,030,868 times
We saw it today. We (i.e., wife and myself) enjoyed it, but felt it was too long: 2 hours, but it seemed like it had extended battle scenes (no doubt, for those watching in 3D; we opted for the non-3D screening).

Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,288,549 times
Saw it and thought it was up there with The Avengers and Captain America 2. Very good movie and I'll go back again next weekend.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:47 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Ronan was a decent as a villain but he wasn't established enough other than complaining about the peace between the Xandrians (the home planet of the Nova Corps) and being Thanos' second in command who wanted to wield the power infinity stone to destroy Xandar. That was the real down side that he wasn't developed. (Compared to Loki in Thor and Avengers, Red Skull in Captain America, Stane in Iron Man and Winter Soldier/H.Y.D.R.A. in Winter Solider.) This is why I said that it wasn't in the upper end of the MCU and that's not a knock on Guardians, it's like picking the worst Star Wars movie of the first three.

Gamorra was just known as known a Thanos' "daughter" and really had that and to be a hero just had to deal with the backlash of her father killing people for no real reason. I hope in future films they can establish her better but I felt she was used fine.

Peter Quill/Star Lord was good but he wouldn't be Tony Stark. He's a lot of a different character in the comics as well as the movie. I really loved the take on Quill where he is somewhat bumbling but still a good leader.
Excellent.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Guardians of the Galaxy is not the best Marvel movie. It is however, refreshing and entertaining.

In my opinion, Drax and Gamora were less interesting than the other three characters. They would have benefitted from a timely background story.

What is Vin Diesel's salary for saying 3-4 words per speaking opportunity. He has the easiest script to remember.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 AM

106 posts, read 116,984 times
Just saw it again yesterday! Held up well for a repeat viewing; for comparison I then came home and watched Avengers (which is 7th time I've seen it)! I will be adding it to my collection.

It was still hilarious! And I love seeing and reading about the "Easter Eggs" included in this film:

Guardians of the Galaxy Easter Eggs: Over 50 Trivia, References, Callbacks, Cameos and More - Page 2 of 5 - /Film
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies