Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

Note: Molly Ringwald's character said her sushi was raw fish, rice and seaweed.

I'm sure the sushi and milk were not dangerous spoiled by 11:30 AM, but they would certainly be disgusting! Just the thought of room-temperature milk make me gag (I swear, I really just gagged).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Still love it. Last Christmas I finally got it on DVD because my VHS copy broke (yes sometimes I am late to change)and realized how it was so much like my teen years. Like the kids I too grew up in suburban Chicago during the 80's. I hadn't given it much thought but at least Bender would have been in juvie. Today there would be one kid serving it because of a racist comment (or one perceived as such). Claire's parents would have sued and Allison would likely be in therapy.

The biggest question is what happens Monday? I'd like to think they talked but have a feeling they went their separate ways. When I was in high school many kids were part of several groups, such as the majority of the athletes were also honor students.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
=I saw dozens of low budget teen comedies on Showtime and HBO during the '80s and late '70s (Valley Girl, The Last American Virgin, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Better Off Dead, My Bodyguard, Meatballs). Some good. Some bad. Most somewhere in between. Nearly every single one of them had better music than The Breakfast Club. Why???
Repo Man, Valley Girl and Pretty in Pink had the best soundtracks of that era, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I agree however, that there would be no such thing as a Saturday detention for students, mainly because of the teacher's unions.
There weren't teachers' unions in the 80s?

In my district, a teacher overseeing detention - on any day - would be given a union-approved per diem or a supplemental contract.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
My son recently discovered this movie on Netflix and fell in love with it, so I've watched it recently a few times.

As a drama, it still holds up. A great movie. Sympathetic characters and great performances in every role. It's both funny and touching and says something about growing up.

My biggest dislike --- and I see it way more now than I did in 1985 --- is how unbelievably horrible the music is. Even by 1980s standards, which were pretty low, the music in The Breakfast Club is unabashedly horrible. Not a single good song in the entire movie, and the big musical number is worse than some commercials for diarrhea that I've seen. Was this movie so low budget that John Hughes had $4 for the musical budget? Or did Hughes simply have no taste in music whatsoever?

The '80s certainly had more than its fare share of bad music, but TBC was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I can think of far worse movies from that era that had FAAAAAAAAAR better soundtracks.

I loved the music! Hughes always played the 80s music that I listened to back then. - Psychedelic Furs, OMD, Simple Minds etc.

The movie still holds up today. Both of mine discovered it and the whole John Hughes catalog in their early teens. Those movies and they great 1980's New Wave, still hold up today.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Sheena, I thought that too, at least that was my memory, but I was surprised to actually look at the soundtrack to Breakfast Club. Only the Simple Minds song was any good. Really, if you re-watch the movie, you'll be appalled at the background music during the movie. Maybe other Hughes movies had better soundtracks, but not the Breakfast Club.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:23 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I loved the music! Hughes always played the 80s music that I listened to back then. - Psychedelic Furs, OMD, Simple Minds etc.

The movie still holds up today. Both of mine discovered it and the whole John Hughes catalog in their early teens. Those movies and they great 1980's New Wave, still hold up today.
Psychedlic Furs, OMD ... not in Breakfast Club. Simple Minds was only in the credits. Other John Hughes movies had good music. Breakfast Club is not one of them. Check the soundetrack listing. Other than Simple Minds, you won't recognize a single artist, because the others all rightly disappeared into shameful obscurity.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Psychedlic Furs, OMD ... not in Breakfast Club. Simple Minds was only in the credits. Other John Hughes movies had good music. Breakfast Club is not one of them. Check the soundetrack listing. Other than Simple Minds, you won't recognize a single artist, because the others all rightly disappeared into shameful obscurity.
I sure as heck didn't recognize any other song on that list. And I was thinking oh no, I loved the music from that movie, when in fact, it was just the closing track by Simple Minds, that I loved so much along with movie back in those days.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Repo Man, Valley Girl and Pretty in Pink had the best soundtracks of that era, IMO.
I've never actually seen Repo Man. Valley Girl had a GREAT soundtrack. Pretty in Pink ... eh. Not my thing, but I can see why others might like it. The Last American Virgin also had a great soundtrack, more on the edgier side of New Wave with some good pop tunes thrown in.

But the greatest '80s soundtrack? Rock 'N' Roll High School. C'mon. No contest.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Oh, something else also struck me. Allison's big problem is supposed to be parental neglect. Her parents supposedly ignore her, and that's why she's so messed up.

However, they drove her to detention. They picked her up from detention. I was certainly not neglected, but I walked to and from school, and if I had ever dared to get detention, you can bet I'd be expected to walk there myself at 7am (that would be considered part of the punishment for getting detention)!

One of her parents packed a lunch for her. Allison obviously packed the Captain Crunch and Pixie Sticks, but the olive loaf sandwich was obviously not packed by her (she dislikes olive loaf and tossed it onto the statue). So one of the parents got their a$$ out of bed around 6:30-7am and made her a sandwich, got dressed, and drove her sorry a$$ to detention. That's love.

So I wonder if they really didn't neglect her so badly. Perhaps she just separated herself from them in her adolescence, and they had no idea how to even connect with her. I used to love the Allison character, but now I'm starting to think she may be a bit of a drama queen. Maybe the whole weirdo persona I liked so much was an affectation just to get attention. Hmmm, maybe my adult eyes do see some things differently....

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh, something else also struck me. Allison's big problem is supposed to be parental neglect. Her parents supposedly ignore her, and that's why she's so messed up.

However, they drove her to detention. They picked her up from detention. I was certainly not neglected, but I walked to and from school, and if I had ever dared to get detention, you can bet I'd be expected to walk there myself at 7am (that would be considered part of the punishment for getting detention)!

One of her parents packed a lunch for her. Allison obviously packed the Captain Crunch and Pixie Sticks, but the olive loaf sandwich was obviously not packed by her (she dislikes olive loaf and tossed it onto the statue). So one of the parents got their a$$ out of bed around 6:30-7am and made her a sandwich, got dressed, and drove her sorry a$$ to detention. That's love.

So I wonder if they really didn't neglect her so badly. Perhaps she just separated herself from them in her adolescence, and they had no idea how to even connect with her. I used to love the Allison character, but now I'm starting to think she may be a bit of a drama queen. Maybe the whole weirdo persona I liked so much was an affectation just to get attention. Hmmm, maybe my adult eyes do see some things differently....
There's different types of parental neglect. While the parents did pick her up and drop her off and may have packed her lunch, they don't know anything about their daughter and are emotionally disconnected from her. If they knew their daughter, would they have included the olive loaf? She's acting out in a cry for attention. The parents go through the motions but don't know anything about her. It's like she's just a fixture of the household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies