Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times

Advertisements

So I'm at the movies the other night with my sis. My brother was at work several miles away and probably needed a ride home after he got off. He said he would let me know by text message. Lights dim down, movie begins, and right before the opening credits, my brother texts me. Phone vibrates softly. I check the message discreetly. He tells me he found a ride with his co-worker. I was just about to put my phone back up when I fell a light tapping on my right shoulder. I turn my head slightly and a voice whispers in my ear: "That light is annoying". "Sorry", I reply, packing the phone up.

But my ego kept telling me, "What nerve this kid (must have been 18 or 19) must have to go out of his way to tell me how annoying my phone is to him! I mean, the theater had stadium seating. It's not like his view was in any meaningful way obstructed. And it's not like I was playing on my phone during the movie like most kids his age do. If he was that bothered by less than a minute's worth of cell phone lighting, then he could have at least conveyed his discomfort to me a bit more tactfully. Methinks he just wanted to show off in front of his dumpy little girlfriend. I don't know.

Something tells me (perhaps my ego again) that I should have replied a bit more abrasively, e.g., "Well cover your face then", or "Sounds like a personal problem to me", or, "Well, you're free to move about the theater as you like".
Why did I have to be so polite to him? He sure as heck wasn't. Sometimes the "low road" just seems to be the only road to take.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Good for him for speaking up. What was impolite about his request? He tapped you on the shoulder and told you what the problem was. He didn't knock the phone out of your hand or call you names. He didn't kick your chair or have the usher throw you out.

Also, your response was quite appropriate. What would being abrasive have accomplished, except to assuage your ego?

And what does his age have to do with anything?

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 12-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Accurate spelling is a good thing

Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
No, your text message was not the end of the world, maybe the kid could have stayed silent, but it's these little distractions that chip away at quality of life, ya know?
Cellphones are highly annoying in a variety of places, not the least of which is a theater when a movie is showing its opening credits.
Even my little theater in Hicksville shows a little Please Turn Cellphones Off screen before the lights dim.
IMHO, the kid acted appropriately, and you should not have had your cell on.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good for him for speaking up. What was impolite about his request? He tapped you on the shoulder and told you what the problem was. He didn't knock the phone out of your hand or call you names. He didn't kick your chair or have the usher throw you out.
He was impulsive and tactless. Again, if less than a minute of cell phone lighting at the very beginning of a movie was hurting him that badly, he could have easily said "Excuse me, sir, could you please cover your phone because the light is bothering me?"

He was just too blunt about it.

Quote:
Also, your response was quite appropriate. What would being abrasive have accomplished, except to assuage your ego?

And what does his age have to do with anything?
It didn't occur to me that this kid was probably just being a wise-a$$ until after I apologized. Where I'm from, there are certain gestures that, though seemingly harmless to the one who uses them, teeter on the verge of impropriety.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
So I'm at the movies the other night with my sis. My brother was at work several miles away and probably needed a ride home after he got off. He said he would let me know by text message. Lights dim down, movie begins, and right before the opening credits, my brother texts me. Phone vibrates softly. I check the message discreetly. He tells me he found a ride with his co-worker. I was just about to put my phone back up when I fell a light tapping on my right shoulder. I turn my head slightly and a voice whispers in my ear: "That light is annoying". "Sorry", I reply, packing the phone up.

But my ego kept telling me, "What nerve this kid (must have been 18 or 19) must have to go out of his way to tell me how annoying my phone is to him! I mean, the theater had stadium seating. It's not like his view was in any meaningful way obstructed. And it's not like I was playing on my phone during the movie like most kids his age do. If he was that bothered by less than a minute's worth of cell phone lighting, then he could have at least conveyed his discomfort to me a bit more tactfully. Methinks he just wanted to show off in front of his dumpy little girlfriend. I don't know.

Something tells me (perhaps my ego again) that I should have replied a bit more abrasively, e.g., "Well cover your face then", or "Sounds like a personal problem to me", or, "Well, you're free to move about the theater as you like".
Why did I have to be so polite to him? He sure as heck wasn't. Sometimes the "low road" just seems to be the only road to take.
I think u handled yourself very well. Don't beat yourself up because u didn't behave like a jerk. Give yourself a pat on the back. I personally would not have said anything to u, but cell phone use in the movies is inappropriate and can be annoying. The message on the movie screen does ask everyone not to use their cells. If u had responded in a less than polite way the other person may have too and there could have been a fight over nothing. U just never know who u r dealing with in public places. What if the kid had a weapon or friends who waited for u after the movies? It sounds like the only thing bruised was ego...Sometimes the high- road is the safest road

Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
I agree, good for him. I think it is very annoying and he didnt know how long you planned to have it open. I encourage everyone to speak up, dont have to be rude about, "Please,Your phone light is annoying" should do the trick unless the offender is going to be one who has no consideration for others.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
No, your text message was not the end of the world, maybe the kid could have stayed silent, but it's these little distractions that chip away at quality of life, ya know?
Cellphones are highly annoying in a variety of places, not the least of which is a theater when a movie is showing its opening credits.
Even my little theater in Hicksville shows a little Please Turn Cellphones Off screen before the lights dim.
IMHO, the kid acted appropriately, and you should not have had your cell on.

I had legitimate business to have my cell phone on in this case. I was waiting for a response from my brother. I'm not gonna leave him stranded just because I didn't know of his predicament until after I purchased my movie tickets. The kid was out of line. Way too familiar IMO. He could have approached me more tactfully.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
U just never know who u r dealing with in public places. What if the kid had a weapon or friends who waited for u after the movies? It sounds like the only thing bruised was ego...Sometimes the high- road is the safest road
That's the point! You can say the same thing about the kid. He didn't know who he was dealing with either. He was presumptuous. A less-civilized person would have had ample reason to teach the kid a hard lesson about approaching strangers in such a familiar way.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I agree, good for him. I think it is very annoying and he didnt know how long you planned to have it open. I encourage everyone to speak up, dont have to be rude about, "Please,Your phone light is annoying" should do the trick unless the offender is going to be one who has no consideration for others.
I had my phone open about 20-30 seconds BEFORE the opening credits. He decided to express his annoyance at the very moment I happened to finish the message. He should have been more patient.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
I think youi're fortunate that it was a 'kid' instead of a 'less then tactful adult"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies