Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:07 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
OP, are you Indian as well? I just wonder if it's not a cultural thing, My husband is Indian and has always told me that movies in India are a family affair, including babies, children and grandparents and etiquette rules about there are different than they are here. We saw a movie the last time we were in India and it was very crowded and loud, nothing like a movie experience here.

Given that we have such a large Indian immigrant population in this area, I can't help but wonder if many of them just aren't used to the American concept of getting a babysitter and silence in theaters. I've really never seen the level of sex, drugs and raunchiness in a typical Bollywood movie that would make it inappropriate for families. My husband has also always told me that since culturally Bollywood movies are generally watched by families together, most of them are appropriate and that's certainly always been our experience.
Yes i am Indian & its true that watching movies is a family affair. But even in indian theatres people watch it quietly, unless its one of those shady, badly maintained theatres where families usually dont visit. Bollywood movies have evolved a lot in the past decade. They used to be traditional, cultural movies appropriate for kids but now its very different. Watch this new movie 'Ram Leela' & you can see the level of violence & foul language thats obviously not appropriate for kids. Censorship in india is relaxed/corrupted so they get away with general audience rating that gets passed on to the theatres here. In short, indian audience in hollywood movies are quiet but they are spoilt brats when watching indian movies. They expect us to put up with it & its not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM

644 posts, read 842,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Yes i am Indian & its true that watching movies is a family affair. But even in indian theatres people watch it quietly, unless its one of those shady, badly maintained theatres where families usually dont visit. Bollywood movies have evolved a lot in the past decade. They used to be traditional, cultural movies appropriate for kids but now its very different. Watch this new movie 'Ram Leela' & you can see the level of violence & foul language thats obviously not appropriate for kids. Censorship in india is relaxed/corrupted so they get away with general audience rating that gets passed on to the theatres here. In short, indian audience in hollywood movies are quiet but they are spoilt brats when watching indian movies. They expect us to put up with it & its not fair.
???????
Ram Leela had an Adult rating. Also while Censorhip in India is relaxed it isn't any less or more corrupt than what it used to be.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuser View Post
Yes, it is a family affair to watch movies. It is common (and widely received by all audience) to make a joke/comment about the current dialogues and everyone who could hear it can/will laugh heartily. But I have seen this in Non-Indian movies also. This is different from shouting yahoo when you see an actor like Tatum or Johanssen which is very common in popular Indian movies.

As far as kids talking especially teenagers -- I think the pre-teens and teens see their adults make comments when they were little and think it is OK to say anything. They make bad comments and even running commentary. I also noticed Indian parents (just an observation) that don't teach their kids when to talk and NOT in general. I have told a group of 8 kids to be nice and quiet and let me watch the movie when I recently went to an Indian movie with my teenage daughter. 3 other adults immediately said Thank you. Just tell them to please be quiet and they might listen. Good Luck.
I dont blame the kids as they are dragged to movies that dont make sense to them, just so the parents can save money on baby sitters. I noticed the teenagers are well-behaved & even tell their parents to be quiet. Probably because they go to public schools & their american friends corrected them while watching english movies. My issue is with adults. I have seen several couples just talking nonstop amongst themselves while the movie is playing. It is so irritating. I have told them politely to be courteous about others. But after a while someone else starts talking & i cant be a hall monitor. The last time i asked the parents of a crying kid if they honestly think the movie was appropriate for kids. They felt ashamed & left after a while. I wrote to the theatre management & requested them to show a reminder for audience to keep quiet like they do for silencing cell phone. I really hope other indians start showing their discontent when the audience is not behaving. Most of us keep quiet because we know them personally & dont want to embarrass them. If you can, please speak up. You paid $10+ for the tickets & deserve to enjoy the movie. Dont let them take you for granted.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
This is not true. Movies here irrespective of where they are made have to be rated.
Looks like Carmike Cinemas never got the memo. How many Indian flicks listed at the URL below have a rating shown?

Carmike Park Place 16 Movie Times - Showtimes and Tickets - Morrisville - Fandango

Zero.

I don't see any ratings info for Bollywood/ Tollywood movies.

http://www.fandango.com/search/?q=hindi&mode=Movies
http://www.fandango.com/search/?mode...&pn=2&q=telugu

What is your source for saying this is not true?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
This is not true. Movies here irrespective of where they are made have to be rated. As for your issue with noisy audience, yes, it is an issue with the crowd that watches Bollywood movies. It isn't like most good Bollywood movies make it to the theaters in Cary anyway.
No. Any production company can opt out of the rating system for their product. In order to fit the normal distribution channels, those get an "unrated" tag. However... Bollywood films don't go through normal channels. Typically there is one person in the community who rents the auditorium and equipment for a slow night of the week and the other films get scheduled around the rental. If there is an issue with the audience, the person to address is the one who has rented the auditorium and brought in the film. The theatre staff (other than possibly the cashier) is not any part of the equation.

The audiences vary. In one situation it was primarily high caste, with the women in precise dress, and at another it was very casual.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the info about ratings. I wish theatre owners got involved in the process but its highly unlikely.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
There are too many cultural "gotchas" for theatre owners (other than those with intimate knowledge of the mores and protocol) to stick their noses in. In cases where the audience becomes a problem and the promoter doesn't control it, the theatre owners commonly just end the agreement and the promoter has to go elsewhere. Although not technically a sub-lease, the relationship is very much like a tenant landlord relationship.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 AM

228 posts, read 367,642 times
I've never had problem with talkative audiences in cinema, in Bollywood or other movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies