Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times

Advertisements

Have been looking around and just have not seen this subject come up at all and am curious to how you feel.

I don't watch a lot of T.V., just simply do not have the time, but there have been favorite actors/actresses in whom I have followed over the years, and have made an effort to purchase their movies to watch.

Lately, especially since the Tom Cruise episode on Oprah and the following events with his wife and the birth of thier child, I am very saddend with the whole lot.

The whole of Scientology really bugs me as it seems that everyone who is anyone in Hollywood seems to feel they simply must be part of it.

There are a lot of actors who belong, and I find I simply cannot watch them with enjoyment anymore now that I am aware of this.

Do you find that you feel this way as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,888 times
I've got to say, for me, it doesn't really bother me about Tom Cruise.....I still enjoy watching him

I do, however, have a negative feeling when watching actresses who are activists in the abortion movement like Susan Sarandon, Cybil Shepherd, Jane Fonda, etc. I've lost alot of respect for them because of this.

Holding hollywood stars against any moral standard is probably somewhat of a losing effort. The few who stand up for what is right, do not get any work. Mel Gibson, who I thought was a moral hero in hollywood even got himself in trouble w/ his controversial movie and later his even more controversial comments.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 AM

279 posts, read 1,347,994 times
No....someone's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, would not alter my opinion of an actor ....regardless of how annoying they are. I find Mel Gibson to be a good actor but his super religious Catholic views (which I don't agree with) would not stop me from watching his movies, although his racist drunken tantrum behavior would. Tom Cruise should stick to acting instead of glorifying his religious belief..nobody really cares about his opinions on psychiatry and medications..they just care about when his next movie comes out.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Well, I dont watch much tv, unless you count Hannah Montana, or other kids shows. Okay I do watch wife swap, because its funny. I dont really look into too much of what actors believe or dont, probably cause I dont watch much tv, but I feel like hollywood is one big pot of filth for the most part anyway, with film directors trying to push their sponsors message into as much of their films as then can, so why not the actors doing it too....if Im watching a movie, its just a movie, i dont give a hoot about their wild and crazy ideas-lol

Old 06-11-2007, 08:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I do not judge anybodys accomplishments or contributions as an actor or actress on their beliefs, or their lifestyles. A lot of my favorite actors and actress may not be very moral or even very nice, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they are great at entertaining me.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I really don't pay much attention to the personal lives of actors and actresses. Afterall, they don't pay much attention to mine. I've got to agree though that Tom Cruise comes across like an idiot when he starts spouting off on tv talk shows. Scientology is without any doubt a very strange cult and from what I've read it's members can become very aggressive if they're faced with tough questions by journalists or former members. I'll watch Tom Cruise's movies but I'm not interested in his personal thoughts regarding psychology or philosophy.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I really don't pay much attention to the personal lives of actors and actresses. Afterall, they don't pay much attention to mine. I've got to agree though that Tom Cruise comes across like an idiot when he starts spouting off on tv talk shows. Scientology is without any doubt a very strange cult and from what I've read it's members can become very aggressive if they're faced with tough questions by journalists or former members. I'll watch Tom Cruise's movies but I'm not interested in his personal thoughts regarding psychology or philosophy.

I agree with everything you said. I watch for entertainment, and basically all actors/actresses play character roles and when they are on these types of talk shows or news programs and talk about their life, it's hard to accept them as a certain role. I guess what I am trying to say is that I like it when I do not know anything about them, because it is easier for me to accept them as ie: misson impossible guy, the duke, etc. When you start seeing them as a person, that interferes with characters they play. For someone who is a writer, I am having a terrible time explaining what I am trying to say here today. Sigh. Guess I need to take a vacation.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
For someone who is a writer, I am having a terrible time explaining what I am trying to say here today. Sigh. Guess I need to take a vacation.
I know what you mean aiangel, seems like I have said all that I can say here. I am not into arguing .. soooo I am seriously considering bowing out of cd for a time, maybe come back, maybe not

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-11-2007 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: content

Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Hmmmm. Well if you had a terrible disease and the only physician known to be able to cure it was a scientologist or some other belief that irks you would you allow them to cure you? Of course you would!

So why would you skip a good movie or show because of the beliefs of the actors? One has nothing to do with their ability to portray a character and entertain you.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Know what you mean blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I know what you mean aiangel, seems like I have said all that I can say here. I am not into arguing .. soooo I am seriously considering bowing out of cd for a time, maybe come back, maybe not

I know what you mean blue, lately I have skimmed the topics and cringed thinking about posting when I read some of the arguments going on. I loved this forum when I found it, and have a limited time to be on because of work, and I just don't want to have to defend myself, get angry or what have you during this 'me' time. SO, I too have backed away. Miss a lot of you guys, I used to come on and look for your posts but have been seeing fewer and fewer. I, too, am simply burned out and need to back away. I hope I can keep in touch with some of you guys.Sigh.

Last edited by aiangel_writer; 06-11-2007 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality