Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM

917 posts, read 1,386,982 times

Advertisements

The Naked Gun movies... I dont see much of a plot and I love silly movies like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,182,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
SLAP SHOT. Paul Newman tries to save the local hockey team and mill from closing. That's a plot.
He wasn't trying to prevent the mill from closing, that was beyond anything he could do about it. And he wasn't trying to save the local team, he was trying to save the franchise and his own job by attracting an out of town buyer.

None of the elements of the supposed plot really fit. Newman didn't come up with the idea of enhancing interest in the team by turning them into brawlers, that happened after the Hansen's hit the ice and turned out to be brawlers.

Then Newman eventually learned from the owner that there never had been a chance of the team being sold, rendering all of what had gone on before without redemptive value.

Then Newman decides that as long as they are going down, they will go down like real hockey players. Then he learns scouts are in the stands from other teams looking for brawlers, so they go back to brawling.

Then they win the championship because an opposing player slugs the ref because the ref refuses to stop the strip tease dance on the ice.

There was a subplot where Newman wanted to get back together with his ex wife, but that went nowhere because she never showed the slightest interest in it.

Given the above, I'd rule that the movie didn't so much have a plot as it had an excuse for a plot. If one's enjoyment of the movie had hinged on the cohesiveness of the story, no one would have liked it.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,133,046 times
El TOPO
THERE WILL BE BLOOD
TWO LANE BLACKTOP
THE APOSTLE

All of these movies have stuff that happens, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them plots.

The original MASH kind of meanders aimlessly through various vignettes.

If being incomprehensible counts, some of Peckinpah's later films, THE KILLER ELITE, and THE OSTERMAND WEEKEND would count. BRING ME THE EHAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA has a plot, but it gets lost for long periods of time in which nothing happens.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM

14,722 posts, read 14,695,253 times
"Smoke" comes to mind first....just one long narrative without much of an actual story. Robert Altman's films often were just meandering side plots involving various groups of characters with no real coherent story...but can't say how much I really enjoyed them. "Kansas City" was interesting, though.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,721,259 times
Return of the Secaucus Seven comes to mind, which just has friends getting together for a weekend. I love it, and the plotlessness didn't even register for a while.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 PM

32,977 posts, read 36,484,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
SLAP SHOT. Paul Newman tries to save the local hockey team and mill from closing. That's a plot.

O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU. Three convicts escape prison and go on a quest for treasure across the Depression-era South. In the end, they find their real treasure. That's a plot.

CADDYSHACK. Young kid learns life lessons as he spends a summer working as a caddy. That's a plot.

CLERKS. No plot whatsoever.

True plotless movies are move common in European movies.
I've seen a few European plotless movies. I don't want to remember the names of those films.

I'd forgotten about the mill in Slap Shot.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:44 PM

32,977 posts, read 36,484,630 times
Default Who own the Chiefs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
He wasn't trying to prevent the mill from closing, that was beyond anything he could do about it. And he wasn't trying to save the local team, he was trying to save the franchise and his own job by attracting an out of town buyer.

None of the elements of the supposed plot really fit. Newman didn't come up with the idea of enhancing interest in the team by turning them into brawlers, that happened after the Hansen's hit the ice and turned out to be brawlers.

Then Newman eventually learned from the owner that there never had been a chance of the team being sold, rendering all of what had gone on before without redemptive value.

Then Newman decides that as long as they are going down, they will go down like real hockey players. Then he learns scouts are in the stands from other teams looking for brawlers, so they go back to brawling.

Then they win the championship because an opposing player slugs the ref because the ref refuses to stop the strip tease dance on the ice.

There was a subplot where Newman wanted to get back together with his ex wife, but that went nowhere because she never showed the slightest interest in it.

Given the above, I'd rule that the movie didn't so much have a plot as it had an excuse for a plot. If one's enjoyment of the movie had hinged on the cohesiveness of the story, no one would have liked it.
You've seen that movie more than once, haven't you?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,182,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You've seen that movie more than once, haven't you?
It is all ever do, at least four times a day, every day since it first came to home video. In the time I'm not watching it, I'm either writing Slap Shot fan fiction stories for my "Slapshot Forever" website, sending hundreds of daily e-mails to tv production studios urging the creation of a Slap Shot series, or attending the annual SlapCom. Nearly everyone in the cast have restraining orders against me.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,957,760 times
Kentucky Fried Movie had no plot, it was a bunch of vignettes, commercial spoofs, fake movie trailers and fake news bulletins saying something silly followed by, "film at 11." It may sound bad but it is hilarious and I LOVE IT!

Caddyshack kind of had a plot but only for that one Caddy who had the issues with Judge Smales. Everything else was just B-plots if anything that ran together like Rodney Dangerfield's character with Smales and Chevy Chase's character chasing that girl.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Can you think of any movies that lacked any type of plot that you nonethless enjoy?
Don't most X-rated movies classify as such?

As it is (or was), most of them from the 80's and 90's did have some kind of plot, if even thinly presented. For example, "Miss Directed" was where the director got fed up with Tori Wells and walked out and Tori decided that directing was no big deal and she would direct and get the movie done. Or "Hard Sell" with Tracey Adams where she's a relator trying to get a house sold.......only the previous owner, a mad scientist, contaminated the walls with a substance that....distracts....anyone who enters in the house.

As it is, kind of hard to think of an enjoyable, plotless movie because often such things are so poorly made, badly acted, they don't last 20 minutes before they are turned off.

The closest thing I've recently seen to a movie that is plotless, ie fitting the definition "it never really got going" was "The Brotherhood III: Young Demons". The Brotherhood III: Young Demons (Video 2003) - IMDb

But, even so, even if the flick "never really got going", it did have something of a plot.........and no, I didn't enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies