Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Couldn't find existing thread here but there is one for the book.

Those of us who have cared for a loved one with dementia will relate to so many things about this story. I found this NPR story about the co-directors I found very interesting.
In 'Still Alice,' Director Couple Tells A Story That Mirrors Their Own : NPR
Still Alice is definitely on my 'to read/see' list.

In a similar vein I would recommend the 2006 movie Away From Her about a long married couple dealing with the wife (played by Julie Christie) being institutionalized due to Alzheimer's Disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
We saw Still Alice yesterday...Julianne Moore was terrific, and certainly deserved her Oscar. I also thought that Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart put in amazing performances.

I can't say I found it depressing...instead, it was very, very sad. Found myself wiping tears from my eyes all through the movie. An observation: Alice was VERY fortunate to have such a supportive family. I thought Loves2Read made a good point in an earlier post with regard to Alice's friends (or lack thereof).

Old 03-02-2015, 04:07 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Dear lord, I could not wait for this movie to end. Julianne is excellent, yet I don't think she will top other actors for the Oscar. The movie is extremely sad, and the whole theater (mostly older women) just sat there when it ended, really hoping there would be more to it, and offering a better ending.
Well clearly the academy disagreed with you. I did think she deserved the Oscar and was happy that she won. Of course the movie was sad... It was very realistic and the disease is a very sad one. I think it does a tremendous public service to put out such films. It certainly hit me in my heart.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I saw this today, I agree a very sad movie,
Spoiler
but ultimately it ended on a somewhat positive note. I don't think I could have handled it in the theater if she was able to carry through with the suicide. I thought it was brilliantly handled.

That speech at the gathering was one of the most moving and thoughtful speeches I've seen in any motion picture.

So I thought it was an insightful movie with wonderful performances by all.

By the way, is it just me, or does it seem like every family you see in the movies are all financially/socially successful people, living in expensive homes and have easy access to medical treatment and vacation homes? I suppose it's more impactful that way, than having some lower income 'nobody' suffer an illness. Just saying.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
By the way, is it just me, or does it seem like every family you see in the movies are all financially/socially successful people, living in expensive homes and have easy access to medical treatment and vacation homes? I suppose it's more impactful that way, than having some lower income 'nobody' suffer an illness. Just saying.
Depends what film you see.

Mr. Turner (2014). 1800s house calls.

Mon oncle Antoine (1971). 1940s Canada, grocerers / undertakers.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In a similar vein I would recommend the 2006 movie Away From Her about a long married couple dealing with the wife (played by Julie Christie)....
That was an excellent film.

I thought the ending of this was hopeful. I didn't until later realize that

Spoiler

Kristen Stewart's character was reading her mother an excerpt from the play "Angels in America" that they had both talked about earlier in the movie.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:59 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
One of the best movies I've seen in years. And a GREAT performance by Moore.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUMDgk-AxHw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies